Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 8/25/2017 7:09:15 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

My SO said she saw an article yesterday that there is evidence somebody has hacked GPS satellites. If that's the case, the ships might be getting fooled into thinking they are in the wrong place. On a car forum I saw someone complaining that the GPS in his car was intermittently telling him he was several blocks away from where he actually was.

If someone has managed to hack GPS, they might only be testing it out from time to time to see how good their hack is. A consistent GPS error would become obvious pretty quickly.

Bill

I don't buy that...

BTW, what GPS has to do with basic seamanship (maintaining watch on the bridge, lookouts, radar etc.) needed to safely sail the seas?

You don't need GPS to see who is around you and to avoid collisions with another vessels!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 8/25/2017 7:31:26 AM   
wdolson

When tech does everything for you, people tend to put too much trust in the tech and ignore the basics. I doubt many younger people today can do arithmetic without a calculator.

All the ships that have had problems have been based as Yosuka which could indicate somebody is infecting ships with a virus there. I would check the maintenance logs and see who has worked on all 4 ships' electronics in the last 4 months. There are probably a number of people who worked on all 4, but it would generate a list to start investigating.

Having people around with a lot of experience doing things manually can avoid a lot of problems, but old salts are sometimes hard to find. I read a book about one of the Farragut destroyers. By 1944 they were the oldest fleet destroyers and were put on the edges of large task forces largely because they were the most expendable.

One night a large carrier TF was making way in bad weather, they had a set zig and zag pattern everyone needed to adhere to or things would go bad. The next destroyer in the formation had a fairly green crew and most of the old destroyer's crew were old hands. The officer on bridge watch was a Lt but he had been around. They were watching all the other ships on radar and the watch officer noticed the DD next to them had screwed up the zig zag pattern and because of experience, he knew if they kept course, the other DD would ram them when it went back on pattern. He ordered full reverse which got the bridge filled with senior officers in very short order. The other DD crossed their path right where they would have been had they continued course.

Experience and quick thinking avoided a collision that night when the green crew did the wrong thing.

If the systems on the USN ships have been hacked in combination with hacked GPS, it could put ships in the wrong place. Combine that with crews more dependent on what their instruments tell them than double checking with their eyeballs and you have a recipe for problems.

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 32
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 8/25/2017 10:00:40 AM   
Orm

And I thought that the USN ships still had a navigational officer, who, at least daily, confirmed that the GPS gave the correct information.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 8/25/2017 12:36:05 PM   
witpqs

quote:

My SO said she saw an article yesterday that there is evidence somebody has hacked GPS satellites. If that's the case, the ships might be getting fooled into thinking they are in the wrong place. On a car forum I saw someone complaining that the GPS in his car was intermittently telling him he was several blocks away from where he actually was.

If someone has managed to hack GPS, they might only be testing it out from time to time to see how good their hack is. A consistent GPS error would become obvious pretty quickly.

Bill

I wonder if there is anything to it, because it is also a pretty obvious-type rumor theory. Also see Tomorrow Never Dies, with the best Bond-Girl performance yet.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 34
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 8/25/2017 2:45:48 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Bill

I wonder if there is anything to it, because it is also a pretty obvious-type rumor theory. Also see Tomorrow Never Dies, with the best Bond-Girl performance yet.

I agree - Judy Dench was awesome as "M"!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 35
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 8/25/2017 3:08:37 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Bill

I agree - Judy Dench was awesome as "M"!

Absolutely - as good as Ralph Fiennes is him following Judy Dench as "M" is like "WHAT were you thinking?!!!".

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 36
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/18/2017 9:21:46 PM   
witpqs

An article from today:
Admiral, Captain Removed in Ongoing Investigations into USS John S. McCain, USS Fitzgerald Collisions; Head of Surface Forces Puts in Early Retirement Request

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 37
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/21/2017 4:56:31 PM   
witpqs

And another, this from the Information Dissemination blog:
The US Navy and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Tuesday
http://www.informationdissemination.net/2017/09/the-us-navy-and-terrible-horrible-no.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+InformationDissemination+%28Information+Dissemination%29

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 38
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/21/2017 5:13:19 PM   
Lecivius

That whole article ends in "In my opinion..."

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 39
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/21/2017 5:45:08 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

What else would it be?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 40
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/21/2017 5:48:42 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

What else would it be?

Adding:

That blog is a place where naval professionals/retired, etc discuss matters pertaining to the US Navy and world naval matters in general. He essentially said "fire the guy", so ending "In my opinion..." does not seem out of place to me.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 41
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/26/2017 8:16:14 PM   
witpqs

The beat goes on...

America's top Pacific fleet commander is the latest casualty in ship collision crisis
http://www.wearethemighty.com/news/americas-top-pacific-fleet-commander-winds-up-going-down-with-his-ships

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 42
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/26/2017 8:34:26 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

quote:

What else would it be?

To me, any article stating "In my opinion" is an op-ed, not news. I take such articles with a grain of salt the size of Mt. Rushmore. There are far to many opinions, and not enough facts, on the internet anymore.

In my opinion

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 43
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/26/2017 8:53:41 PM   
Orm

... and thereon I decided to print opinions, ignoring facts.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 44
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/26/2017 10:20:39 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

What else would it be?

To me, any article stating "In my opinion" is an op-ed, not news. I take such articles with a grain of salt the size of Mt. Rushmore. There are far to many opinions, and not enough facts, on the internet anymore.

In my opinion

Ahem, ahem. It is not a news article, it is an opinion piece. As I mentioned that blog is a place where naval professionals publish.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 45
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/27/2017 1:34:58 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What else would it be?

In my opinion

Ahem, ahem. It is not a news article, it is an opinion piece. As I mentioned that blog is a place where naval professionals publish.

I stand corrected

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 46
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/27/2017 3:24:31 PM   
geofflambert

This is from the 9/8/17 NYT:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 47
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/28/2017 3:30:30 PM   
geofflambert

From today's NYT

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 48
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/28/2017 3:31:01 PM   
geofflambert

continued

Attachment (1)

Post #: 49
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/28/2017 4:12:35 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

continued

Three hours awake and nine hours nap time works for me!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 50
RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? - 9/29/2017 11:43:07 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Three hours awake and nine hours nap time works for me!

Umm, no. Not the way it works.

The Moose

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Another Ship to Ship Collision? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI