Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

convoy problems with 2.5.5

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> convoy problems with 2.5.5 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 8/17/2017 11:22:51 PM   
Aranthus

The computer still sends resources in inefficient directions, and will not accept changes. In particular, when I try to send Indian resources around Africa, the computer persists in sending them through the Med, using French convoys and screwing up French production. Still having a problem with the computer avoiding the Faroes Gap and not accepting correction. Apparently the computer has learned a new trick. Instead of accepting the correction of the route of a resource, the computer substitutes a different resource from the same area (i.e., a different Canadian or India resource) and then sends the new resource on the old route.
Post #: 1
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 8/17/2017 11:27:25 PM   
paulderynck

The key to a successful AI is a program that is capable of learning. I fear the AI for MWiF will have learned to short itself numerous BPs over the course of a game.

OTOH, no one wants to play an AI that continuously beats the crap out of you, so this may be a good thing.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 8/17/2017 11:29:04 PM >

Paul

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 2
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 8/18/2017 12:45:09 AM   
Aranthus

Saved Game

In this one, you can find that the computer is still avoiding the Faroes Gap like the plague, and won't accept a change. Also, when you are in production planning and click on the radio button to show all allied convoys, all the convoys disappear.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 3
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 8/19/2017 1:14:51 PM   
TeaLeaf

Sigh.
When I read Steve's MWiF monthly report of august and the Hotpatch version 02.05.05.00 I got all excited. Finally the more ineffective convoy routing and especially not working modifying convoy routes seemed to be a problem of the past, mostly.

Guess I cheered a bit too soon.
Maybe Steve needs to get some fresh recruits from matrixgames, because it's starting to look like the task is too 'monumental' for one person alone.
And what is different from Steve's setup and ours, that in his environment 'the last couple of bugs in production planning' seem to be solved, but for us they are not (I consider modifying convoy routes a part of production planning)!

If that difference could be pinned, maybe the convoy problems can finally truly be solved.

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 4
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 8/21/2017 5:18:03 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aranthus

Saved Game

In this one, you can find that the computer is still avoiding the Faroes Gap like the plague, and won't accept a change. Also, when you are in production planning and click on the radio button to show all allied convoys, all the convoys disappear.

Is this saved game also good for recreating the problem you described in your first post in this thread?

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 5
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 8/21/2017 1:07:04 PM   
Aranthus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Saved Game

Is this saved game also good for recreating the problem you described in your first post in this thread?

I'm not sure. I think I may have changed the convoys around. I will try to sey up a game that has that problem.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 6
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 8/25/2017 2:48:02 PM   
Aranthus

Attached is a saved game showing the India convoy problem.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 7
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 8/28/2017 11:35:47 AM   
AllenK

quote:

The computer still sends resources in inefficient directions, and will not accept changes. In particular, when I try to send Indian resources around Africa, the computer persists in sending them through the Med, using French convoys and screwing up French production. Still having a problem with the computer avoiding the Faroes Gap and not accepting correction. Apparently the computer has learned a new trick. Instead of accepting the correction of the route of a resource, the computer substitutes a different resource from the same area (i.e., a different Canadian or India resource) and then sends the new resource on the old route.

Have also experienced the Faeroes Gap problem. With no CP's in Biscay, MWiF recognised the CP's in Faeroes. Once I put CP's in Biscay, MWiF routed the resources that way and would not accept any manual correction.

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 8
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 8/30/2017 3:55:32 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Saved Game

The reason no convoys are shown when Allied is selected, is that you are still in the Setup phase and neither the Commonwealth nor France are at war with anyone. 'Allied' shows the convoys for Active Allied major powers.

Steve

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 9
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 8/30/2017 3:57:55 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I don't know what you were trying to do in your saved game. The program now (version 2.5.5.4) is running convoys through the Faeroes Gap.

I'll get a Hot Patch out tomorrow (version 2.5.6.0) and you can check to see if you are still running into problems with Production Planning.

Steve

Post #: 10
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 8/30/2017 1:41:53 PM   
Aranthus

quote:

quote:

Saved Game

The reason no convoys are shown when Allied is selected, is that you are still in the Setup phase and neither the Commonwealth nor France are at war with anyone. 'Allied' shows the convoys for Active Allied major powers.

Slaps self on forehead. Doh! Thanks for the explanation.

Post #: 11
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 8/30/2017 1:42:39 PM   
Aranthus

quote:

I don't know what you were trying to do in your saved game. The program now (version 2.5.5.4) is running convoys through the Faeroes Gap.

I'll get a Hot Patch out tomorrow (version 2.5.6.0) and you can check to see if you are still running into problems with Production Planning.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.

Post #: 12
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 8/31/2017 5:05:28 PM   
TeaLeaf

Have you tested it the way AllenK described?
Because that is the real problem. Don't think MWiF had problems running conv through Faeroes, as long as no conv were in Biscaybay.

Once Biscaybay has any CONVroute going through, Faeroes becomes largely ignored (may get the odd and unexpected conv allocated) and messes with all other routes coming in from the south because no route can be manually changed. In this case, Canadian routes through Faeroes.

Post #: 13
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 10/5/2017 5:56:00 AM   
BrianSchick

I've had these problems since 2.3.something. I used to be able to manually reroute the sea portion of convoyed resources. Not anymore.

It pretends to listen, but doesn't remember my manually entered path.

(in reply to TeaLeaf)
Post #: 14
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 10/6/2017 1:39:26 AM   
jjdenver

Yes, I have the same problem. Game seems to listen to my manually input path then when I click recompute it changes the path or makes the resource idle. This is a game of whackamole. Trying to use the CW production summary screen in SO 39 is a nightmare. I've spent hours on this and read all the help but it's no use. I always end up with idle resources that should be shipped because the CP's are in place. I even made a spreadsheet to show all shipping so I could double check that I had the right number of convoys - and my CP placement is fine.

To make this simple there should be no ability for the AI or game to compute paths. Please just require the player to specify each path in its entirety. This will allow the player to specify exactly where the path should run and forget it. Having the AI or the game constantly undo the manual paths I set is really infuriating. When I manually set a path that should be the end of the story. Done. Don't change it. But instead game immediately changes or invalidates the path to have the resource go idle when I click recompute. I am willing to manually set every single path but the way it's working now is utter madness.

Let's just make this simple and functional because right now this very important part of the game is a buggy mess.

If the CP's in place are not enough to support the manually set path don't change the path for the player just note the area in red or something so the player knows there is a problem and can manually change the path. That would be much easier to use and I think require less coding and have less chance for bugs.

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 10/6/2017 8:55:01 AM >

(in reply to BrianSchick)
Post #: 15
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 10/6/2017 2:15:31 AM   
davidc

Unfortunately, the game needs to compute convoy routes or the AI, when it is done, will not be a very good opponent.

Didn't CWIF have an "avoid" sea area functionality to help route resources?
Can you do that with MWIF?

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 16
RE: convoy problems with 2.5.5 - 10/6/2017 8:56:28 AM   
jjdenver

quote:

ORIGINAL: davidc
Unfortunately, the game needs to compute convoy routes or the AI, when it is done, will not be a very good opponent.

Didn't CWIF have an "avoid" sea area functionality to help route resources?
Can you do that with MWIF?

That makes sense. And when the AI is done they can turn on compute for the AI but leave it off for human players. At least that allows the humans to play the game while the AI is being written.

(in reply to davidc)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> convoy problems with 2.5.5 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI