Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fog of War and stacking value

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> Campaigns on the Danube Support >> Fog of War and stacking value Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fog of War and stacking value - 7/22/2017 12:20:51 PM   
Gribeauval

There is someting that has surprised me in Campaigns of the Danube (even in v305).

When the player plays with Fog of War , he can see the number of stacked units in every hexagon, even if the hexagon is very far from his army.
The player has just to pass the mouse pointer on the hexagon to see this stacking value.
It "kills" the Fog of War : in the 1805 scenario, the french player can guess where are deployed austrians and russians.

Am I missing something ?
Post #: 1
RE: Fog of War and stacking value - 7/22/2017 2:22:24 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gribeauval

There is someting that has surprised me in Campaigns of the Danube (even in v305).

When the player plays with Fog of War , he can see the number of stacked units in every hexagon, even if the hexagon is very far from his army.
The player has just to pass the mouse pointer on the hexagon to see this stacking value.
It "kills" the Fog of War : in the 1805 scenario, the french player can guess where are deployed austrians and russians.

Am I missing something ?

You are not seeing every hex, there are going to be many enemy units that you will not see at all until they get closer. Those hexes which contain enemy units, that you can see, will give you a stack count and, new in v3.05, you can now shuffle through the stack and see what units are there, both enemy and friendly. FOW is still operating because you don't see any strength information in enemy units, just the names and unit types.

At the start of a campaign you will have a good idea where the enemy is camped, Napoleon had some idea of Coalition positions before he launched the campaign.

This is replicating Napoleonic warfare, where armies of 10,000s and 100,000s are marching, bands playing, moving at walking pace and difficult to hide. Both sides deployed spies and scouts, local populations might pass information, either willingly, or not.

An enemy unit counter could be a unit exhausted after long marching, short of supply, weakened by losing many stragglers, composed of 'green' troops ready to run, or it could be elite/veteran units looking for a fight.

You are guessing most of the time, which brings in a realistic uncertainty, but the French have many advantages and I never felt in much danger playing the French side. Playing the Coalition is not so comfortable, because even when you find the enemy, you may wish you hadn't.

Within the limitations of a computer game the system works quite well. You need to have some information, or there is no game.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 7/22/2017 2:27:50 PM >

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to Gribeauval)
Post #: 2
RE: Fog of War and stacking value - 7/22/2017 2:48:16 PM   
Rasputitsa

This is the game I am playing right now, Turn 23 - Charles' Original Plan 1809' - playing as Austrians - 'Hidden Enemy' setting, the French corps of MASSENA, with NAPOLEON, was engaged near INGOLSTADT, it has now disappeared. The Austrian corps of KOLOWRAT was surrounded and shattered by two French corps including MASSENA, which I did not see until it was too late.

I know there are French units somewhere between INGOLSTADT and EKMUHL, but I cannot see them any more and I don't know where they are headed. There should be more French units coming into the scenario from AUGSBURG, but I will not see them until much later.

I can see many French units in the centre where battles have taken place, but I don't know if they are tattered remains, or strong well prepared units still dangerous, I can monitor the battle reports and try and estimate their condition, but it is still guesswork. I suggest you take screen shots when the battle reports are on screen, so that you can check out unit details, but that information only comes with combat and it might be too late by then.

If you want more FOW, play with 'Reports Only' setting.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 7/22/2017 3:37:31 PM >

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 3
RE: Fog of War and stacking value - 9/24/2017 10:35:31 AM   
ManuelG

Hello everybody

I am a fan of wego games and played campaigns on the danube years ago. I remember it as one of the best games I ever played. Problem is that since then I have became a Mac user. I guess there are no plans to put this game into Mac but does anybody now if it works with Vine, PlayonMac,...??

Thanks for help

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 4
RE: Fog of War and stacking value - 9/27/2017 11:37:13 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: ManuelG

Hello everybody

I am a fan of wego games and played campaigns on the danube years ago. I remember it as one of the best games I ever played. Problem is that since then I have became a Mac user. I guess there are no plans to put this game into Mac but does anybody now if it works with Vine, PlayonMac,...??

Thanks for help

Hi, I cannot answer your question as I have never used Mac, but am running old 1980's games in a new 'Windows 10' system using Dos emulation (DosBox/DosShell), so I would have thought it is possible to get a PC emulator to do the same thing for CotD on Mac.

CotD is a re-issue of the older game, so is not a huge beast, only 265 Mbs on the HDD. The map and counter mods are simple file substitution and should not be a problem.

There is also Frank's 'Piercing Fortress Europa', so there are two good WEGO games to work for. Here is the start of an AAR for PFE :

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4232480

Hope there is a suitable emulator to make this work, as there must be something suitable.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 9/27/2017 11:39:41 AM >

(in reply to ManuelG)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> Campaigns on the Danube Support >> Fog of War and stacking value Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI