Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Size of Units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Size of Units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Size of Units - 7/19/2017 4:18:55 PM   
wqc12345

Out of curiousity, how does one determine the relative size of the units in TOAW III? Meaning, how does one come up with 72 standard infantry squads for a Panzer Grenadier division? Is there some rule of thumb in determining the TO&E of a unit? Does 72 squads represent roughly the total number of regiments in the division? I guess how does one know what makes up a squad? and is it just heuristics to say, 10 men to a squad, 72 squads = 72000 men, plus support, plus whatever, makes up the division?
Post #: 1
RE: Size of Units - 7/19/2017 9:49:34 PM   
sPzAbt653

You can research it and base it all on historical data, or you can make it all up, or you can do something in between. If you are designing a scenario, it is up to you to decide. If you ask because you are curious as to how a specific scenario was compiled, you can look for Designer Notes, or look for contact information for the designer, or ask here, to see if you can get an answer.

(in reply to wqc12345)
Post #: 2
RE: Size of Units - 7/20/2017 2:47:36 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: wqc12345

Out of curiousity, how does one determine the relative size of the units in TOAW III? Meaning, how does one come up with 72 standard infantry squads for a Panzer Grenadier division? Is there some rule of thumb in determining the TO&E of a unit?

Every military unit in a scenario you would make that is simulated in TOAW has a standard TOE. That's how many squads, vehicles, horses, carts guns, howitzers or whatever that the unit is composed of. Naturally as time passes the unit will experience degradation so what it started with is not what it ends up with. There are large numbers of resources on the internet that will tell you what a unit is supposed to have. 72 infantry squads for a Panzer Grenadier division is very short of the mark. In June 1941 the standard TOE for a Motorized Infantry Division (later to be renamed Panzer Grenadier divisions) called for 216 combat rifle squads.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 7/20/2017 2:56:26 AM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to wqc12345)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Size of Units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI