Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Q] Passive SONAR Detection query and other first thoughts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Q] Passive SONAR Detection query and other first thoughts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Q] Passive SONAR Detection query and other first thoughts - 7/1/2017 9:45:32 AM   
Pikes

Hi,
I was playing a simple sub scenario as my first experience of the game (Belgrano vs Conqueror sub) and noticed a few things that made me want to post. I'm breaking the "one issue per post" just to test the ice on responsiveness. Happy to break them down if there is a desire.

1. Passive Sonar - the probability box is often deadly accurate on range whilst being very wide in heading. For passive sonar, as far as I ever remember, and this includes from playing subsims, harpoon old days and my own reading/common sense, the Heading is the one thing you can get from a sound contact, within a couple of degrees, and the range is the harder thing to fix, requiring movement laterally across the heading in order to get TMA over time. I find this an absolute immersion killer that the game gives it a rough heading between 30 degrees and a range that is fairly accurate. Surely this is an inversion of an X and Y and it's actually a bug in code? Detections via passive sonar should be spikes in the direction.

Other stuff:
2. Why doesn't the detection method show in the Contact report box as a new tab? Instead its in the message log. If I detected a unit I think it's reasonable to put how it was discovered and the details into the contact report. {ENHANCEMENT}

3. Active Torpedo's are conveying detections back to the launch platform. Whilst I know some are wire guided, i wasn't aware that torpedo's were datalinked in this way and it seems to me (needs some more work) that the torpedo is a bit super intelligent in this way. In fact weapons in general are not something tracked as well as they are represented in game. Often they have pinpoint accuracy displayed, I'd vote heavily for a sense of immersion where you don't know exactly where the weapon went or what it can see.

I had some other technical observations on aircraft behaviour but I'd like to see what the uptake is on this post first. Thanks for reading. If you need a mission or video to demonstrate, I am happy to do the legwork to go through it.

< Message edited by Sunburn -- 7/4/2017 10:24:15 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Passive SONAR Detection query and other first thoughts - 7/1/2017 12:16:34 PM   
Gneckes

I agree, it would be nice to get detection method in the contact report - if it's not too much trouble

(in reply to Pikes)
Post #: 2
RE: Passive SONAR Detection query and other first thoughts - 7/1/2017 1:33:35 PM   
Dimitris

Hello and welcome,

1. Please open a new thread with a suitable save for this. The way you are describing is broadly how Command's sonar model works too, and we'd like to see if there's any unique of circumstances that throws a spanner in it.

2. An interesting suggestion. We could look at this for the next major update.

3a. Two-way wired torps (e.g. Mk48 late mods, Spearfish) can indeed act as offboard sensors. One-way wired torps only receive target updates and steering commands. If you have observed some torpedo model which has different datalink properties than its RL counterpart then please let us know on the database feedback threads.

3b. "I have shot a missile/torpedo and now I have completely lost it from view, why?". Picture this "bug report" hitting your mailbox about three million times a day. Gameplay/fun vs realism question. Usually we tilt towards realism but we made an exception on this one. If your analysis/simulation workflow absolutely needs it, we can discuss adding it as an option on the professional version.

Thanks!

(in reply to Gneckes)
Post #: 3
RE: Passive SONAR Detection query and other first thoughts - 7/1/2017 2:13:36 PM   
Pikes

OK I will see if i can get a reproduction on the SONAR for you. These observations are based on a short scenario and I can't recall what Torp the Conqueror fired
but I'm inclined to believe you if you say that two way was available for it.
For the 3rd thing, I had a feeling this was slightly 'gamed'. That you understand it, is quite enough for my curiosity, I wouldnt mind a hard core toggle.
Thank you for your consideration, I'll see how I get on.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 4
RE: Passive SONAR Detection query and other first thoughts - 7/1/2017 3:01:53 PM   
Pikes

[image]https://ibb.co/j4fDtQ[/image]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vstQY_PkgHk
Hopefully the video explains better what i'm trying to describe.
Does this make sense? The scenario is just a simple sub, Chrurchill class and various ranges and speeds of contacts all moving directly away from ownship. Does this tally with the design or is it unexpected?

(in reply to Pikes)
Post #: 5
RE: Passive SONAR Detection query and other first thoughts - 7/1/2017 4:28:32 PM   
Dimitris

No, this is probably not WAD. Can you post the scenario file here? It would help speed up the investigation significantly. Thanks.

(in reply to Pikes)
Post #: 6
RE: Passive SONAR Detection query and other first thoughts - 7/2/2017 1:11:19 AM   
Pikes

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4308627
Sorry i was late to read your request for the scenario, i've provided a reproduction in the post linked and been more clear.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Q] Passive SONAR Detection query and other first thoughts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI