Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Visiting the UK - Imperial War Museum and other Sites of Interest

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Visiting the UK - Imperial War Museum and other Sites of Interest Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Visiting the UK - Imperial War Museum and other Sites o... - 6/16/2017 10:07:53 PM   
wesy

Hello All:

Hoping to get some advice from those that have visited or live in the UK. I'm planning to be in London in late July and wanted to visit the Imperial War Museum. For those that have visited - is traveling to IWM Duxford worth the time? Looking at the pix in on their website really makes me want to go :).

Any thoughts/guidance on the IWM or any other war-related museums (HMS Belfast etc.)

Thanks!

Wes

"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen
Post #: 1
RE: Visiting the UK - Imperial War Museum and other Sit... - 6/16/2017 10:21:47 PM   
philabos

I am a fairly frequent visitor. The IWM is certainly worth the trip. Don't overlook the National Army Museum as well. If you are into the naval side of things, Portsmouth Dockyard is fantastic. Not a bad trap for London which on the train which will leave you within an easy walk.
I am sure those living in the UK will give better advice. You could spend months visiting everything.

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 2
RE: Visiting the UK - Imperial War Museum and other Sit... - 6/16/2017 10:43:17 PM   
Alan Sharif

If Tanks are your thing, then Bovington Tank Museum is well worth a visit. I have little interest in Naval Warfare, but have very much enjoyed both HMS Belfast and Portsmouth Docks. So did my Wife, and she really has NO interest at all.

A Sharif

(in reply to philabos)
Post #: 3
RE: Visiting the UK - Imperial War Museum and other Sit... - 6/17/2017 5:10:48 AM   
warspite1

I would second the National Army Museum in addition to the Imperial War Museum, The Guards Museum, HMS Belfast, Churchill War Rooms and the RAF Museum in Hendon.

Outside of London but no more than a couple of hours by train (depends how long your stay is and your budget) we have as mentioned:

Portsmouth Dockyard - The Jutland exhibition is still on. HMS Victory is looking a little worse for wear while they renovate her, but still worth seeing.

Chatham Dockyard - the WWII destroyer HMS Cavalier is there

Duxford - been there once, but it was well worth it. Lots of aircraft to see and taking a trip in a vintage aircraft was....memorable...and not scary at all

I've never been to the tank museum at Bovington but it always gets rave reviews.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 4
RE: Visiting the UK - Imperial War Museum and other Sit... - 6/17/2017 7:23:44 AM   
Cataphract88

Bovington and Portsmouth are great places to visit, but both are outside London. For a visitor to London I would recommend HMS Belfast, but more than anything else (if you're into planes) the RAF museum at Hendon. This has a large selection of aircraft, from all eras, from Britain, Germany and the U.S., it has free entry, and is easily reachable on the underground system.

Enjoy your stay.

Richard

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: Visiting the UK - Imperial War Museum and other Sit... - 6/17/2017 7:43:00 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Duxford - been there once, but it was well worth it. Lots of aircraft to see and taking a trip in a vintage aircraft was....memorable...and not scary at all

You daredevil.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: Visiting the UK - Imperial War Museum and other Sit... - 6/17/2017 9:39:31 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Churchill War Rooms

The ammount of pin-holes in the convoy map in there is insane, was probably my favorit piece in there.

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 7
RE: Visiting the UK - Imperial War Museum and other Sit... - 6/18/2017 3:08:54 PM   
Mobeer

Royal Air Force Museum (Hendon) is much easier to get to than Duxford if you are staying in the centre of town.

Sikorski Institute covers the Polish forces in WW2 and is both central and interesting to visit, but has limited opening hours.

National Maritime Museum in Greenwich lacks the ships of Portsmouth but is closer.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 8
RE: Visiting the UK - Imperial War Museum and other Sit... - 6/18/2017 6:06:08 PM   
wesy

Thanks all for the recommendations! Really looking forward to the trip!

"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Visiting the UK - Imperial War Museum and other Sites of Interest Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI