Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sub Ops questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Sub Ops questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sub Ops questions - 5/7/2017 4:39:07 AM   
mavfin

Mainly, I want to make sure this means what it seems to...

The attached clipping shows a boat with an uncertainty zone, but the depth and speed are not uncertain.

Is this how the game sees it? We know the speed/course/depth of the boat, just not the exact location? Or is it 'faking' some of the data, or it's using 'last known' data?

i.e. can I depend on this data to loop around and get in the baffles? Or is it not that reliable?

Thanks for comments.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Sub Ops questions - 5/7/2017 5:23:41 AM   
Cik

the red box is an uncertainty zone. IE, whatever sort of sonar is detecting him can fix a precise bearing and depth, but not exactly a precise range, or a precise range but not a precise bearing.

that is we don't know exactly where he is. but we do know his depth and heading, so you could maneuver behind him. worst case he's at the "other end of the box" and if you line up behind an uncertain foe occasionally you will be detected as he will not be exactly where you guessed.

that looks very small though; there's a pretty low chance he is significantly far enough away from the drawn contact that he can detect you. as long as you have active-terminal torpedoes he's a dead man as they will get him for sure off such a precise fix.

often uncertainty is quite large in the case of passive sonar or RWR/ELINT devices. generally active sonar/radar emitters can return a far more certain bearing-range-altitude for detected contacts.

< Message edited by Cik -- 5/7/2017 5:28:10 AM >

(in reply to mavfin)
Post #: 2
RE: Sub Ops questions - 5/7/2017 5:28:57 AM   
mavfin

Ok, that's what I thought. So I have a blade count and a pretty good course/depth cut as well. Just not a precise location fix. Thanks for the confirmation.

Mav

< Message edited by mavfin -- 5/7/2017 5:35:04 AM >

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Sub Ops questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI