Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Homefires

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Homefires Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Homefires - 4/29/2017 2:36:14 AM   
Footslogger

So, lately I've been watching an English series called "Homefires."

Perhaps some of the Brits and/or Aussies know what I'm talking about.

As you may know, a few months ago America remembered the internment camps of WW2.

In that series, the Italians were put into "camps" in England, because of Mussolini. Being half Italian myself,
I had no idea that this had happened in England.

What do you Chaps have to say?

Post #: 1
RE: OT: Homefires - 4/29/2017 3:12:37 AM   
wdolson

I've seen Homefires, though I think my memory is a bit foggy. I recall there being something about negative attitudes about Italians, but I don't recall anything about them being put into camps. I may have forgotten something though.

Both the Americans and British used POWs as farm workers. In the US it was popular among the prisoners and many made friends with the families they worked for. One December a number of Italian POWs escaped from their camp. They were found having Christmas dinner with the family they had been working for during the summer.

Being a POW in England probably wasn't as pleasant. Many Americans were immigrants or first generation immigrants and I think there was a lot less personal animosity against individuals (at least from Europe) who were fighting the war. The hard core fascists were segregated from those who were not that political. The US hadn't had any cities bombed by the Germans.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Homefires - 4/29/2017 4:48:39 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

As you may know, a few months ago America remembered the internment camps of WW2.

In that series, the Italians were put into "camps" in England, because of Mussolini. Being half Italian myself,

warspite1

I assume you are referring to this British TV Series with the great opening music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rwiNCryws0

I enjoyed the two series made, and was more than a little disappointed when they decided not to commission a third. The series was a little twee in places but generally the individual storylines were sound and the cast very watchable.

As for the internment this is well known and I attach below a link to the BBC within which the actor Tom Conti gives a brief piece about his mother and father.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22278664

and here is a more general piece on the event

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10224872

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 3
RE: OT: Homefires - 4/29/2017 8:36:12 PM   
rustysi

I wasn't aware of Italians being interned in England. I guess it makes sense to some degree as some Germans were also interned on the Isle of Man as well. Additionally some 60-80,000 (I forget the exact numbers) Italians and Germans were interned in the U.S. Not on the same scale as the Japanese, but it was there and rarely ever mentioned. At the close of the war some 20,000 of those were deported. To be fair most of those were die hard Nazis or Fascists. One exception would be 'Lucky Luciano' who had made a deal with the FBI to secure his release after the war in exchange for keeping the NYC docks 'in line' for the duration.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Homefires - 4/30/2017 12:35:50 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

Internment was happening everywhere at the time. However, things were as not as bad as it seemed and many Italians elected to stay on and not return home after the war and (along with later post-war migration) Australia now has a large Italian community.

Here is a very general link to internment in the Australian War Memorial collections if you wish to have a look around..... Link

ID number:            030190/15
Collection type:      Photograph
Object type:          Black & white
Maker:	              Halmarick, Colin Thomas
Physical description: Black & white
Description:          Tatura, Victoria, Australia. 13 February 1943. Family groups of Italian internees from overseas now interned at Tatura 
                      Internment Camp. Back row, left to right: D. Fortuna; E. Fortuna; G. Casati; L. Casati. Front row: A. Casati; M. Fortuna; 
                      C. Fortuna; C. Fortuna; E. Corona. 

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Reg -- 4/30/2017 12:40:35 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Homefires Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI