Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allied Mediterranean Air Strategy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> The War Room >> Allied Mediterranean Air Strategy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allied Mediterranean Air Strategy - 4/27/2017 7:42:12 AM   
Devonport

I am struggling to come up with a decent air strategy for the Mediterranean.

I don't move much air capability from the ETO as I like to keep it reasonably realistic, and consequently have difficulty in assembling sufficient resources to make a noticeable difference.

As an illustration let's take an invasion of Sardinia. There are not many axis resources there, and they are spread across the island. Clearly there are a number of options available:

1) Naval Patrol. This should protect my invasion and supply and reduce the axis supply. But given that you may have only a few turns will it make any noticeable difference to axis fighting capacity?
2) Port and Railyard attack. Similarly is this likely to have enough impact?
3) Railway attack, interdiction and unit attack. Given the relatively small number of FBs available, and the static nature of the defence, is it worth it?
4) Ground Support.

Or you could try a mixture of them all but that dilutes the effort.

Similar issues occur elsewhere until the axis defence stabilises on one of the defensive lines when there seems to be long enough to make an impact by, say, destroying railyards and impacting supply.

How do players utilise their air power to have a real impact on what is otherwise going to be a land based campaign?
Post #: 1
RE: Allied Mediterranean Air Strategy - 4/27/2017 8:05:39 AM   
loki100

From the axis perspective for my current game:

1) I'd play defensively. This links to #2 in a way. It is very hard to isolate a port and/or reduce it so its not useable. Against Gunulf even though he tried very hard to isolate Sardinia I managed with a one-off effort to open a safe sea lane for evacuation. I reckon a random U-boat hit somewhere along the N Africa coast can cost you more than you would gain with a more aggressive set up.

The exception might be if the Axis really tried to hold onto Messina. Best then to concentrate on stopping supplies rather than direct attacks?

2) Not sure. Gunulf has done the standard thing - which I have done in the past - of bombing out the Italian rail centres. It has increased my truck usage but not really hit my practical supply levels. This may come to haunt me later in the game but at the moment my feeling is that hitting the rail net only really pays off if you also go for the Truck production. Then you may get a real reward come late 1944 if the German resupply capacity collapses?

3) Interdiction is always good - even at low levels. Testing WiTE2 has made me appreciate this even more. You can double/treble hit key targets as they move/attack/retreat and it also attrits trucks etc

4) Yes. At a tactical level those pre-combat disruptions are vital. I personally think the game has got the division vs regiment interaction a bit wrong at the moment (mass is too important), but a regiment that has been hit by GS is going to be lacking effective combat elements.

So I'd adjust my own standard allied strategy. Not worth rail bombing unless your effort in Germany is doubling up by hitting trucks. Second question here is do you lose more VPs by diverting from HI/Pop/U-boats than you might gain in a theoretically faster advance late game?

I'd get the 4 Engined bombers in the Med over to strategic bombing faster than I have done before. Beyond that sustained interdiction would be my mission of choice.

I could be very wrong

(in reply to Devonport)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> The War Room >> Allied Mediterranean Air Strategy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI