Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Guess this ship...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Guess this ship... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 12:30:13 AM   
Chickenboy

Came across this good color picture that I don't think I'd seen before. Any guesses?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 12:54:01 AM   
rogueusmc

South Dakota?

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 1:15:48 AM   
LST Express

USS Texas?

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 3
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 1:28:26 AM   
AW1Steve

Arkansas?

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 4
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 1:35:30 AM   
Major Shane

USS Texas, I think. It appears to have the old casement gun positions that I think that era ship had.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 5
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 1:45:47 AM   
MakeeLearn

The last WW1 era Dreadnought??

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 4/21/2017 1:48:19 AM >

(in reply to Major Shane)
Post #: 6
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 2:42:27 AM   
rogueusmc

USS New Mexico...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 2:51:38 AM   
rogueusmc

Well, I got the class right...it is a New Mexico class but it is the Idaho BB-42

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 8
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 3:17:07 AM   
wdolson

I'll admit to looking it up, but the picture is on Wikipedia.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 9
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 3:25:51 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

Well, I got the class right...it is a New Mexico class but it is the Idaho BB-42

Aye. The Idaho in support of Operation Iceberg.

ETA: 7 Battle stars! I didn't realize she was so active...she really got around.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 4/21/2017 6:05:40 PM >

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 10
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 1:18:06 PM   
John 3rd

What is the condition of USS Texas presently? Heard she was having issues at her berth...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 5:18:43 PM   
Yaab

I could swear it is USS Fort Drum.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 4/21/2017 5:19:06 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 12
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 6:57:11 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Came across this good color picture that I don't think I'd seen before. Any guesses?

What is that water pouring out of the closed-off casemate? Draining the pool?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 11:25:13 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

What is the condition of USS Texas presently? Heard she was having issues at her berth...

Still in process of being totally restored yet still open to public. They even have overnight facilities available.

http://battleshiptexas.org/

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 14
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/21/2017 11:54:31 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

What is that water pouring out of the closed-off casemate? Draining the pool?

The dishwasher broke down.

Either that or the captain wanted a completely 'dry' ship before entering combat.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/22/2017 12:55:38 AM   
rustysi

quote:

quote:

Still in process of being totally restored yet still open to public. They even have overnight facilities available.

Last I heard she would be high and dry after they're done as her hull is really in no shape to be in water, and it can't be fixed. At least not economically enough.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 16
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/22/2017 10:53:45 AM   
Alpha77

Damn I wish I lived near the coast where old and huge museum ships can be visited, but I am content with woods and hills too. I was at Wilhelmshaven and Dutch navy museum Den Helder, they have only smaller ships and subs, but nothing bigger than a DD.. But both can be recommended esp. the Dutch one (a pretty big sub you can crawl through and nice museum!). Also Tank museum Munster plus army and airforce museums in Netherlands (base Soesterberg)

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 4/22/2017 10:56:10 AM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 17
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/22/2017 1:06:41 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Damn I wish I lived near the coast where old and huge museum ships can be visited, but I am content with woods and hills too. I was at Wilhelmshaven and Dutch navy museum Den Helder, they have only smaller ships and subs, but nothing bigger than a DD.. But both can be recommended esp. the Dutch one (a pretty big sub you can crawl through and nice museum!). Also Tank museum Munster plus army and airforce museums in Netherlands (base Soesterberg)
warspite1

I feel your pain

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 18
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/22/2017 2:01:12 PM   
Alpha77

England has some huge ships to visit, eg. a cruiser and Victory... correct ? I was only in Southern England for some days so far, need to re-visit also Scotland

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 19
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/22/2017 3:09:59 PM   
warspite1

quote:

England has some huge ships to visit, eg. a cruiser and Victory... correct ? I was only in Southern England for some days so far, need to re-visit also Scotland
warspite1

Well I guess it depends on your view of huge. Yes we have the two cruisers - HMS Belfast (London) and HMS Caroline (Belfast) - and of course we have the old girl HMS Victory (Portsmouth) but we don't have any battleships or carriers

I visited HMS Victory a couple of months back and she looks a bit sorry at the moment as she is undergoing some pretty extensive restoration works. Her masts have been taken down to relieve pressure on the hull but the plan is that they will be returned as part of the project and she will be returned to normal and sit in all her imperious majesty at the home of the Royal Navy

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 20
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/25/2017 2:43:45 PM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Well I guess it depends on your view of huge. Yes we have the two cruisers - HMS Belfast (London) and HMS Caroline (Belfast) - and of course we have the old girl HMS Victory (Portsmouth) but we don't have any battleships or carriers

I visited HMS Victory a couple of months back and she looks a bit sorry at the moment as she is undergoing some pretty extensive restoration works. Her masts have been taken down to relieve pressure on the hull but the plan is that they will be returned as part of the project and she will be returned to normal and sit in all her imperious majesty at the home of the Royal Navy

Also in Portsmouth is M33 a monitor used for shore bombardment at Gallipoli, Salonika and in northern Russia. HMS Alliance is a old diesel sub at the submarine museum across in Gosport.

Also in Pompey is HMS Warrior, the world's largest warship when launched, the RN's first ironclad (La Gloire was the world's first iron clad warship). She was as revolutionary in her time as Dreadnought was nearly 50 years later.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 21
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/25/2017 3:31:06 PM   
m10bob

When I was in college we had the ability to save the USS Indiana, which might have been preserved at Evansville Indiana where they presently have a restored LST and a small war museum, but it went to the scrappers.

Oh, well.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 22
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/25/2017 4:20:39 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

warspite1

There is also Chatham, which I've not yet visited. HMS Chevalier there. Granted, only a DD but WW2 vintage.

http://www.visitkent.co.uk/attractions/the-historic-dockyard-chatham/8085

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 23
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/25/2017 4:23:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Also in Portsmouth is M33 a monitor used for shore bombardment at Gallipoli, Salonika and in northern Russia. HMS Alliance is a old diesel sub at the submarine museum across in Gosport.

Also in Pompey is HMS Warrior, the world's largest warship when launched, the RN's first ironclad (La Gloire was the world's first iron clad warship). She was as revolutionary in her time as Dreadnought was nearly 50 years later.
warspite1

And half of the Mary Rose....

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 24
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/25/2017 4:53:36 PM   
Revthought

quote:

Last I heard she would be high and dry after they're done as her hull is really in no shape to be in water, and it can't be fixed. At least not economically enough.

This last bit is critical. If Pearl Harbor proved anything, it was there wasn't a hull ever created that couldn't be fixed if you threw enough resources at it. And that was in the 1940s.

< Message edited by Revthought -- 4/25/2017 4:54:03 PM >

Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 25
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/25/2017 7:39:46 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

And half of the Mary Rose....

Philadelphia/Camden has the New Jersey, Olympia, and WWII sub Becuna, plus a tall sailing ship.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 26
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/25/2017 8:30:13 PM   
pontiouspilot

I'm just home from a 2 week tour of many museums in UK: HMS Belfast, Imp War Museum-main, Duxford, Bletchley, Bovington and a few days in Portsmouth. My hat is off to the level of attention and funding these venerable institutions receive in UK. The Victory for example must have employed scores of folks with upkeep for several hundred years now. I was sizably impressed at each of these sights and encourage everyone to make the same trip.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 27
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/26/2017 2:29:11 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

I'm just home from a 2 week tour of many museums in UK: HMS Belfast, Imp War Museum-main, Duxford, Bletchley, Bovington and a few days in Portsmouth. My hat is off to the level of attention and funding these venerable institutions receive in UK. The Victory for example must have employed scores of folks with upkeep for several hundred years now. I was sizably impressed at each of these sights and encourage everyone to make the same trip.

Are you able to share any pictures with us?

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 28
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/26/2017 4:54:41 PM   
pontiouspilot

I'd love to share pics but I'm told they are too big....any way around that??

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 29
RE: Guess this ship... - 4/26/2017 5:06:10 PM   
Jellicoe

Chatham dockyard (as opposed to Chatham itself) is well worth a visit. It is where the Victory was built and the dockyard museum and rope works are Good. You can as Obvert says also see HMS Cavalier, a war emergency Ca class destroyer that was finally decommissioned in the late 60s or early 70s. Late enough to be given a SeaCat mounting. By all accounts she was able to outrun more modern ships right till the end of her service. You can also see an Oberon class diesel sub and more unusually HMS Gannet, a Victorian sloop

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Guess this ship... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI