Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on the counters...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on the counters... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on the co... - 4/12/2017 6:54:18 PM   
RFalvo69

This is something I pray and hope for since TOAW I (is it nearly 20 years? )

Basically, what I ask for is an option that allows you to choose which values are shown in the unit's counter.

For example, in a highly-mechanised situation you would like to have the AT capability of the unit shown on the counter (along with either defence or movement), not the capability vs. soft targets. In a "mixed" situation having both could be the ideal solution - relying on the simple "movement arrow" to see where you can go, and so on. Generally speaking, the player should be able to display the most useful values on his units, according to the situation, so to be able to evaluate them at a glance.

Gary Grigsby's War in the East/West already allow for something similar.

This is one of my two my requested features since the early days of TOAW. I see that the other one, naval interception, finally made it

Edit: of course I'm talking about the option of showing the desired values on all the units on the battlefield, not on a unit by unit basis. I don't need other reason to go crazy right now

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 4/12/2017 6:57:01 PM >

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Post #: 1
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/12/2017 7:13:00 PM   
larryfulkerson

There's a new feature in TOAW IV that allows the player to designate which values show on the unit counter and I'm not sure how
it works, haven't used it yet, can't prove that it works, etc. but it's been tested and works I'm told. There are entries in the Opart.INI file
that control which values the player wants displayed so that there's toggle positions for three different displays possible. Most often
the players want to see the AT and AP values but other values are possible. Here's what's possible to display: ( in the image ).

I'll have to experiment with this to see how it works and what advantage it gives. I'm not sure how the player is supposed to tell which
values are being displayed currently.........maybe you just have to keep track yourself.

I haven't found a use for this feature myself but I can understand it's utility.

EDIT: I notice that there's not an entry in the list for Movement. I understand that Movement is always one of the numbers displayed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/12/2017 7:15:42 PM >

The successful insertion of an armed group of special operators anywhere in the world in 18 hours or the next one is free.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/12/2017 8:01:23 PM   
RFalvo69

It sounds good! However if it is true that movement is always displayed it would be a waste: you can check the movement range of your units by selecting them and moving the cursor around.

Of course you could be interested in the movement capabilities of the enemy - but I hope that showing movement remains an option and not a feature. In most cases AT/AP (or AT/Def) are much more useful - as WitE/W show.

Anyway, pet-peeves aside, I'm looking really forward to the new TOAW IV

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/12/2017 8:17:37 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Of course you could be interested in the movement capabilities of the enemy

Wouldn't that be cool........to just mouse over am enemy unit and see the DBR ( displayed bombardment range ) of the enemy
unit's movement possibility range, a crop-circle of the limits of it's movement. That would enable moving up to and just excluding
the last hex it could move to etc. to set up camp in, to dig in and defend. It's an estimate that they use in real life to do planning
so it would be really useful I think.

The successful insertion of an armed group of special operators anywhere in the world in 18 hours or the next one is free.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 4
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/12/2017 8:22:05 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the appropriate entries in MY opart ini file. It calls for the defensive value and the attacking value and that's all. I'm
not sure what the 'N' does for userIcon5. I'll have to look that up. I notice that their are 4 pairs of numbers so I'm guessing
that I can toggle through four different states of display but that right now all four are just defense and attack.

userIcon5=N
userIcon42=4
userIcon41=1
userIcon32=4
userIcon31=1
userIcon22=4
userIcon21=1
userIcon12=4
userIcon11=1

Post #: 5
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/12/2017 10:03:41 PM   
sPzAbt653

'M' on the keyboard toggles thru the different display settings. It's really nice !

Post #: 6
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/13/2017 1:19:30 AM   
larryfulkerson

I found this in the Manual for TOAW IV

So, if the following settings were made:

• userIcon32=9
• userIcon31=8
• userIcon22=3
• userIcon21=2
• userIcon12=5
• userIcon11=0

Then the display will cycle through: AT & Armor, AA low & AA high, Eng & RR, and MPs.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/13/2017 1:20:08 AM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 7
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/13/2017 2:29:04 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Note that the Unit Strength display can be setup within the game via the Advanced Rules dialogs. The codes Larry posted won't have to be dealt with by players. Also, the options include Group Strengths (cumulative values for the entire stack in a hex) in addition to individual unit strengths.

(I could make this clearer with a screenshot, but I'm not authorized for that yet).

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 8
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/13/2017 5:21:36 AM   
larryfulkerson

I have a PBY unit that's flying the PBY-5 and they are scheduled to upgrade to the PBY-5A which has the amphibious landing gear.
The problem with that is that the weight of the gear makes the plane a hog. It's slower, climbs slower, can't fly as far, can't carry as
much weight as the -5 and overall it was better as a floatplane. I would change the upgrade path but I don't want to spend my
Political Points ( PP's ) for that right now. Other things are a higher priority, like replacing the poor submarine commanders.
So the best thing for this unit is to turn off the upgrade for now. There aren't enough PBY-5A's in the pool to fill out a unit anyway.

EDIT: OOoops. Wrong thread. Sorry. Not really sorry.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 9
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/22/2017 7:56:07 PM   
Curtis Lemay

I'll go ahead and show how these alternate values display. First, here's the dialog for setting them up. It's accessed via the Advanced Rules dialog. There are two sets of defaults. This shot shows the Basic defaults - just like it was under TOAW III (one strength display toggling with one movement allowance display):

Attachment (1)

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 10
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/22/2017 7:57:55 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Here's a shot showing the same dialog after selecting the Advanced Defaults. Now there are several other options to cycle through:

AP and DF

Stack AP and Stack DF

Minor/Major Fording

Engineering/Rail Repair

Movement Allowance

Time Stamp

(For a max total of six options)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 4/22/2017 7:59:21 PM >

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 11
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/22/2017 8:01:59 PM   
Curtis Lemay

But you are not limited to the defaults. You can change the strength values as shown in the attached shot that shows the popup menu:

Attachment (1)

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 12
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/22/2017 8:04:18 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Now, let's take a look at what the Advanced Defaults look like on the map. First, here is the first choice (just AP & DF like under III):

Strengths look normal. But note the Info Panel - it explains that the circled button works one way for a left-click and the other for a right-click (so you don't have to cycle all the way through to get to any view).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 4/22/2017 8:05:56 PM >

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 13
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/22/2017 8:07:56 PM   
Curtis Lemay

If we just do a normal left-click on that button, the view changes to Stack AP and Stack DF. These are the cumulative strengths in the hex. You can imagine the usefulness this will have...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 4/22/2017 8:48:10 PM >

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 14
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/22/2017 8:08:56 PM   
Curtis Lemay

One more left-click and the view changes to the Ferry strengths:

Attachment (1)

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 15
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/22/2017 8:09:47 PM   
Curtis Lemay

One more left-click and we arrive at the Engineering strengths:

Attachment (1)

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 16
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/22/2017 8:13:54 PM   
Curtis Lemay

One more left-click will display the movement allowances (I won't bore you with a shot of that, since everyone should be familiar with it from III). One click more, though, gets to the Unit Time Stamp. This tells you what combat round of the turn each unit is in, via the fraction of its movement allowance it has expended. You can imagine how this would be of use in planning combats.

All units in the shot have values of 0, since none have moved. But, as they move, these values advance upward, finally reaching 10 when they've expended almost all of their MPs.

Note that when you are in the normal strength view (AP & DF), it can be a few left-clicks to get to the Time Stamp view. But here is where a right-click will get you there right off.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 4/22/2017 8:15:19 PM >

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 17
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/22/2017 10:54:59 PM   
RealChuckB

Looks great - love that you can set it up the way you want to!

Post #: 18
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/23/2017 3:06:16 AM   
Meyer1

Very nice.

(in reply to RealChuckB)
Post #: 19
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/23/2017 3:11:44 AM   
dox44

nice. can't wait.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 20
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/23/2017 6:07:58 AM   
ncc1701e

+1

One question: comparing those screenshots with this thread
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4273108

The terrain looks like TOAW3 and not TOAW4. Is it an example of what Larry says with the GraphicsOverride folder?

Thanks

(in reply to dox44)
Post #: 21
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/23/2017 6:30:10 AM   
76mm

cool feature

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 22
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/23/2017 7:26:36 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

+1

The terrain looks like TOAW3 and not TOAW4. Is it an example of what Larry says with the GraphicsOverride folder?

Thanks

It's like TOAW3 but Windows puts things in a different place. For me it's C:/Users/<your computer name>/Documents/MyGames/The Operational Art of War IV/GraphicsOverride. Scenarios are put there too but in a Scenarios folder. So if you are making a scenario that's where all of your modded files go.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lobster -- 4/23/2017 7:28:50 AM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Wearing blinders and earplugs everything you do is correct.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 23
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/23/2017 2:09:06 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

+1

Thanks

Those shots may be a little out of date. I didn't make new ones for this, whereas they were new for that link.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 24
RE: Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on th... - 4/24/2017 4:45:43 AM   
RFalvo69

That's exactly what I was hoping for!

I have a suggestion, though: put the "Anti-Armor" value in the default Counter Values Editor (I know that I can do it by myself, but I would be happier to see it as one of the default options). My historical beef with TOAW was how AP was always at the forefront even in heavily mechanised situations (like modern-era scenarios). It never made sense: you attacked a US mechanised regiment, supported by a tank battalion, with a Soviet armored corps - but you had to shuffle around to actually see what the Anti-Armor value of the armored corps was.

I can understand how this "fixation" with "AP First!" (sorry, bad political joke ) makes sense in scenarios from the late XIX Century to, maybe, early WWII. After that, soldiers started using equipment more sophisticated than squares and muskets...

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Pease, tell me that you can choose the values on the counters... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI