From: Miami, Florida, U.S.A.
And you came bearing gifts!
Ok. since you are back here is a possible bug (or two) from the last version I used (1.65 i think, have not saw it listed, some things about spies aye, but not this one. Also someone else mentioned the asteroid colony one):
1) When my empire caught a spy, the message would appear several times and they would appear on my captured spy list box multiple times, and I could do nothing with them (could not kill or sell). It just wasn't working when I chose that option. I tried "disabling it" by making the capture chance 0, but spies were still being caught (I think... it was a bit ago, but I am sure this was the case).
2) Rival empires creating asteroid colonies even though I was sure I had them disabled.
I can't check these things right now coz my laptop is on the fritz, and these rambling are from memory.
Wish list/observations (maybe you can do nothing about these, but thought I would point them out):
1) Pirate smugglers. They b dumb. They sit around at a station long after they have completed their mission, they get detected, they become star dust. It would be nice if after completing their mission (and they have no other mission) if they would go to the nearest friendly (or at least neutral station) and hang out there instead.
2) Terraformers (love them btw). It is a shame instead of an additive value, they are a set one. It would be more realistic if they added to the quality of a planet rather than set it to a quality level. However, as I said, terraformers as they are is good too, at least they now have a use :). I put my ones to 60, 80 I thought was too high.
3) My main love - passenger ship transporters! I love the option of being able to manually choose where to take from and where to drop off colonists. So simple, so beautiful, really really love this one. Would be nice to have state owned ships that could do that too *coughs*hinthint*cough*.
4) As someone else mentioned, and I have previously too, I would still love to see the fighter bays go back to being split, or maybe choosing a ratio of fighters to bombers. Not too bothered though. The fighter bomber thing isn't that hard to put into the components, the main issue I have is when I use the "auto refit" option in the design screen, and I then have all of one bay (usually bombers - I think it chooses alphabetically), which means I have to tinker around with each of the ships I have with fighter bays to put back in the correct ratio of fighter/bombers.
There might have been other stuff that I have forgotten now.
PS. You ever get your problem with this game fixed?
PPS. Never leave us again! You broke our hearts :(
1 Yes, there was a bug in the captured spies bit. I fixed it. I don't recall if the fix was in the last release or the one I'm currently working on. However, even when I had multiple listings of the same spy, I was still able to ransom them.
2 Regarding asteroid colonies, apparently I never set the condition of "allowAsteroidColonies" for the AI calculations. The calculation uses a lot of factors and it seems that one got left out. Now its the very first condition check. Until the next version you can just put "asteroidColonyPrevalenceDivisor" to a really large number and that should prevent asteroid colonies from being made.
1 I found the section regarding pirate smugglers. They only check for being detected when attempting to dock, and only once during the dock action, so there should be zero chance of them being detected while loitering around a planet. It may seem like they are getting detected at that time if they are, in fact, waiting for a docking bay to become available. Once a bay becomes available the game will make the one and only check to see if they are detected.
2 Terraforming a relative amount is not possible because there is no way to meep track of the planet's original, unmodified habitability rating once the terraforming starts. If it was an instant process instead of a process over time that would be possible but I wanted something that happened gradually over time so the change has to be absolute.
3 State-owned passenger ships CAN be given missions just like private ones. I do it all the time.
4 I have never done auto-refit so I was not aware of this issue with the bomber bays. Unfortunately, to the AI, the bomber bay is just another fighter bay and I don't see any way to change this so I'm afraid you'll have to deal with a little clean up aftter auto-refitting your fighter-carrying ships. At least its easier with the ability to select existing components on your design and have the leftside menu jump to them.
Re: my game always crashing on save. I sortof found a solution. I run the whole game in a clean Win 7 virtual machine and I never save. When I want to stop I just pause the game and shut down the entire virtual machine.