Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific - 9/5/2019 11:03:31 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gridley380

The US gets some CVEs early too - I think all four of the Sangamon arrive early.

In DBB Sangamon and sisters (except Santee) arrive Dec 15 1942 at Balboa, which is consistent with them leaving the Torch area in mid-November 1942 for overhaul at Norfolk and their arrival at New Caledonia on January 4th, 1943.

However, the arrival date for Santee is wrong, the game has her arriving at Tacoma on May 22, 1943 - at that time she was based at Norfolk for ASW duty in the Atlantic. She transited the Panama Canal for Pacific duty on 18–19 February 1944.

While at it, there a really extreme cases of early arrivals - the Balao class submarine USS Ling for example enters the game on December 15, 1943 - in fact she was commissioned only on June 8th 1945 and never made a war patrol!

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 9/5/2019 11:04:22 AM >

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 151
RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific - 9/5/2019 1:31:16 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

In DBB Sangamon and sisters (except Santee) arrive Dec 15 1942 at Balboa, which is consistent with them leaving the Torch area in mid-November 1942 for overhaul at Norfolk and their arrival at New Caledonia on January 4th, 1943.

However, the arrival date for Santee is wrong, the game has her arriving at Tacoma on May 22, 1943 - at that time she was based at Norfolk for ASW duty in the Atlantic. She transited the Panama Canal for Pacific duty on 18–19 February 1944.

While at it, there a really extreme cases of early arrivals - the Balao class submarine USS Ling for example enters the game on December 15, 1943 - in fact she was commissioned only on June 8th 1945 and never made a war patrol!

There are days I wonder how long it would take to go through DANFS for every USN ship commissioned before the end of the war and note down when she entered the Pacific (and left, for those that did). Then there are days I say "someone on this forum must have already done that and made a spreadsheet... right?"

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 152
RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific - 9/16/2019 4:39:38 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gridley380

There are days I wonder how long it would take to go through DANFS for every USN ship commissioned before the end of the war and note down when she entered the Pacific (and left, for those that did). Then there are days I say "someone on this forum must have already done that and made a spreadsheet... right?"

Take a look at Spooky's site. There's a huge amount of data there, including lots of downloadable excel spreadsheets. There may be one or two which have the arrival date info you are looking for.

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 153
RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific - 9/17/2019 9:05:38 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Gridley380, I would love to get hold of such a spreadsheet as well.

As it is, while going through DANFS I correct the data directly in the editor.

But it is possible to dump the scenario files into .csv files via the witploadae.exe tool in order to obtain a spreadsheet.

That said, DANFS does not always gives exact dates and or locations in the AE sense i.e. where and when a vessel is entering the map, so guesstimates must be made working backwards / forward from available information.

I also found DANFS to be incomplete - the entries for USS Plaice (SS-390) and USS Trutta (SS-421) for example are missing - both saw service in the PTO.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 154
RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific - 9/19/2019 5:43:08 PM   
ReadyR

Hello LST. Thinking about launching a PBEM of the Bottlenecks mod. Do you have an update on the ETA for your new version? Given that it probably won't update a game that is already underway, should we wait a bit...or dive in with the current version?

Many thanks.

Post #: 155
RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific - 9/20/2019 6:41:13 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Hi ReadyR, appreciate your interest in my mod. As explained on page 4, I plan to release three different versions.

My own base scenario is 61, the version with reduced number of R&D and simplified Japanese engine production. I have finished the revision of US subs, but haven't had time to run the scenario and check my latest changes.

If ok, I will "work backwards" and apply the changes to my scen 60 and 59 files, the versions with normal Japanese engine production. This will require dumping the scenario files into .csv files and doing some copying and pasting of device, location and aircraft data to replace the engine models in factories and aircraft models. Then I have to check in-game for any data errors.

So, if you want to play scen 61, I can send the files before the end of the month, for the others I cannot provide an ETA yet. I do have a week off end of October which hopefully allows me to finish the other scenarios - but that will depend on the "honey-do list"...

(in reply to ReadyR)
Post #: 156
RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific - 9/21/2019 3:14:45 PM   
ReadyR

Hi LST. Many thanks! Have discussed with my opponent. We are both keen to dive in, so we will be going with your current Scen 59. Really looking forward to the mod.

Post #: 157
RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific - 11/3/2019 5:31:18 PM   
ReadyR

Hi LST. Real life has prevented us from getting started on our game until recently. We are about a week in and I really enjoy what I have seen so far. It is truly much more difficult to get supply and units moving as Allies. And while in other games I have an Ace or two at Clark or Manila, I now have mostly wreckage...

One question. I guess because I am Canadian, I take a special interest in the two (under strength and under trained units..Winnipeg Grenadiers and Royal Rifles) that were in Hong Kong as part of the garrison. Your mod does not include them. I recognize they did not last long, but they fought valiantly. What was the rationale to not including them...oversight, or lack of slots...?

Post #: 158
RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific - 11/4/2019 1:11:43 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Hi ReadyR, glad you enjoy the mod. It should be more difficult for the Japanese as well to move stuff around. Do you play with my pwhexe.dat file?

Lack of database slots keep me from modelling all Bn sized units individually. The Hong Kong garrison consisted of two British, two Indian and two Canadian Bns, plus AA and arty, the Volunteer Defense Corps, a Royal Marine Detachment and oddly even a squad of Free French. "My" Hong Kong garrison consists of a "Kowloon brigade" with the two Indian and a British Bn which manned the Gindrinkers line and a "Hong Kong brigade" of the two Canadian and one British Bn which manned the island defenses. If you look at the TOE of the two brigades, you will find all the aforementioned elements, inclusive the Canadians and even the Free French. In the latest version I am currently working on I have added Canadian brigadier John K. Lawson as a new leader and have put him in charge of the Hong Kong brigade. He was the senior Canadian officer at Hong Kong and the highest-ranking Canadian soldiers KIA during the war.

Let me know if you have other questions.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 11/4/2019 1:12:53 AM >

(in reply to ReadyR)
Post #: 159
RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific - 11/4/2019 3:40:30 PM   
ReadyR

Thanks for this. I now see that they are there! (I should have dug a bit deeper)

Yes, we are playing with your pwhexe.dat file.

If we bump into any questions/issues I will let you know.

RR

Post #: 160
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Mod Release: Bottlenecks in the Pacific Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI