Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Know your oilers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Know your oilers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Know your oilers - 3/30/2017 2:35:10 PM   
obvert

In relation to my AAR I've been reading about the support and logistics for the US and Allied fleets in the Pacific. I thought I'd share some pics and give the experts another few opportunities to show off their knowledge of the period.

What ship is this?

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Post #: 1
RE: Know your oilers - 3/30/2017 6:50:56 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Patoka class oiler for sure - but which one? SWAG - Trinity.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2
RE: Know your oilers - 3/30/2017 7:14:00 PM   
Buckrock

It's the USS Sepulga on the 21st Aug '42, just out from Mare Island Naval Yard after an 8 day overhaul and about to get underway for San Pedro
to take on fuel oil and diesel before then sailing for Kodiak, Alaska to begin her naval support role in the North.

This was the only sig line I could think of.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3
RE: Know your oilers - 3/30/2017 7:17:39 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buckrock

It's the USS Sepulga on the 21st Aug '42, just out from Mare Island Naval Yard after an 8 day overhaul and about to get underway for San Pedro
to take on fuel oil and diesel before then sailing for Kodiak, Alaska to begin her naval support role in the North.

Yeah, it looks like it's riding a little high on the waterline. Not carrying cargo.

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 4
RE: Know your oilers - 3/30/2017 7:19:47 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Interesting to read that Patoka oilers were decommissioned soon after the war's end

I thought they would be valuable as civilian tankers

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 3/30/2017 7:25:44 PM >

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 5
RE: Know your oilers - 3/30/2017 7:41:23 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Built between 1919 and 1922.Guess after 1945 many more modern tankers became available for civilian use, so no need for these oldtimers.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 6
RE: Know your oilers - 3/30/2017 8:28:30 PM   
Lowpe

It is the Coral Wreck, about to meet her maker.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 7
RE: Know your oilers - 3/30/2017 11:24:59 PM   
rustysi

quote:

WTF? I give up. You get all of that from the photo?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 8
RE: Know your oilers - 3/31/2017 6:04:55 AM   
Buckrock

I left out the bit about the photo being taken off Mare Island near the mouth of the Napa River, just after USS Sepulga had left the Navy
Yard's Berth 7 at 10.28am. It was standard practice to take official photos in this location of ships immediately after they'd been released
by the Navy Yard if they were new built or had just been repaired, refitted, etc.

The information I posted on the USS Sepulga didn't take that long to find after LargeSlowTarget had graciously and accurately named the class.
Since I had a bit of time and there were only 8 vessels in the Patoka Class, I wandered through the NavSource online photo collection of those
vessels and found the matching photo. That photo had a USN tag showing the date and location, so I was curious enough to search online for
any of the ship's log entries around that time to perhaps establish a background to the photo. There just happened to be such a log (a War
Diary).

Bless the Internet.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 9
RE: Know your oilers - 3/31/2017 7:38:48 AM   
obvert

quote:

I left out the bit about the photo being taken off Mare Island near the mouth of the Napa River, just after USS Sepulga had left the Navy
Yard's Berth 7 at 10.28am. It was standard practice to take official photos in this location of ships immediately after they'd been released
by the Navy Yard if they were new built or had just been repaired, refitted, etc.

The information I posted on the USS Sepulga didn't take that long to find after LargeSlowTarget had graciously and accurately named the class.
Since I had a bit of time and there were only 8 vessels in the Patoka Class, I wandered through the NavSource online photo collection of those
vessels and found the matching photo. That photo had a USN tag showing the date and location, so I was curious enough to search online for
any of the ship's log entries around that time to perhaps establish a background to the photo. There just happened to be such a log (a War
Diary).

Bless the Internet.

Nice! Right on of course.

I do love these shots from Mare. They really made some fantastic images with good equipment, and the tags are awesome.

Here is the original. I flipped and added colour to try and get the Google reverse confused.

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 10
RE: Know your oilers - 3/31/2017 8:54:55 AM   
Buckrock

And such lovely hues of color too. Picture perfect.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 11
RE: Know your oilers - 3/31/2017 9:58:32 AM   
obvert

Here she is during refit showing the ship before the 20mm Oerlikon RS/LS were installed. In game she's able to get this as of 6/42.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/31/2017 9:59:42 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 12
RE: Know your oilers - 3/31/2017 11:41:21 AM   
Buckrock

That photo was taken the day before she entered Drydock No.3 to have her "entire underwater hull....sand blasted and painted" in anticipation of her lengthy period of operations up north.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 13
RE: Know your oilers - 3/31/2017 2:38:27 PM   
Itdepends

Obviously these questions are too easy for you, the level of knowledge is astonishing. For bonus points, what was served for breakfast that morning?

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 14
RE: Know your oilers - 3/31/2017 3:38:25 PM   
Buckrock

The log book page was stained with eggs and coffee, so we know what the exec likely had. The morning's entry was partially obliterated by the stain but the words "captain", "waffles", "syrup" and "again" are clearly visible.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 15
RE: Know your oilers - 3/31/2017 9:48:18 PM   
rustysi

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 16
RE: Know your oilers - 4/3/2017 2:02:35 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

AO Patoka with a docking tower to land airships... when did they took that tower away?

I wish the game allows to convert some AOs to AOVs,,, some kind of blimp-only air support auxiliary...
lol just kidding,

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 4/3/2017 2:06:20 AM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 17
RE: Know your oilers - 4/23/2017 11:28:41 AM   
Yaab

Funny, all Jap battleships have pagoda-shaped docking towers. Just saying...

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 18
RE: Know your oilers - 4/23/2017 3:06:22 PM   
witpqs

quote:

The log book page was stained with eggs and coffee, so we know what the exec likely had. The morning's entry was partially obliterated by the stain but the words "captain", "waffles", "syrup" and "again" are clearly visible.

After that snap first post with all those details I was thinking "He *took* the darn photo!".

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 19
RE: Know your oilers - 4/26/2017 3:44:54 AM   
SheperdN7

Know my Oilers? Don't mind if I do-

Kurri, Gretzky, Messier, Anderson, Coffey... Many, many, many others including The Next One... Connor McDavid.

I am from Edmonton after all

Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 20
RE: Know your oilers - 4/26/2017 5:45:58 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

Obviously these questions are too easy for you, the level of knowledge is astonishing. For bonus points, what was served for breakfast that morning?

Ice Cream?

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 21
RE: Know your oilers - 4/26/2017 5:46:07 PM   
Buckrock

Hope you don't mind, Obvert.

Since the thread is still going, I thought I might do a test load to see whether I could get images from a particular source to suit the upload requirements.

Edit - Needs better resolution but since it's there, if anyone wants to guess the ship and why it is surrounded by a school of hungry shell fish, go ahead.

And no, despite the thread, it's not an oiler.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Buckrock -- 4/27/2017 5:55:31 AM >

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 22
RE: Know your oilers - 4/26/2017 6:26:00 PM   
BBfanboy

Looks like a USN CL that found some Japanese barrels of supplies dumped à-la Tokyo Express to drift in to shore. The cruiser's crew would be shooting up the barrels to sink them and the fish are smelling the contents and crowding around. Not sure why there are lines hanging off the side though, unless boats were launched to fetch a few drums for intel.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 23
RE: Know your oilers - 4/26/2017 6:37:45 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
... and the fish are smelling the contents and crowding around. Not sure why there are lines hanging off the side though, unless boats were launched to fetch a few drums for intel.

Crew seized the opportunity to catch some fish? :)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 24
RE: Know your oilers - 4/27/2017 7:25:54 AM   
Buckrock

The USN CL part was correct.

It would have been helpful if I'd worked out the best image resolution but it's the USS Honolulu off Leyte on 20th October 1944, 15 minutes after she'd
been torpedoed deep amidships on the portside by a Japanese aircraft. Damage control efforts have just succeeded in restoring power and reducing a
dangerous 13 deg port list back to a more manageable one of 9 deg. She is just about to head for shallower waters closer to the Dulag invasion beach
in order to make anchor and further address her list (she's also down slightly in the bows).

In the water on the port side are 5" shell cartridges. To immediately reduce the list, all ready 5" and 40mm ammuntion from the port batteries were dumped
overboard, along with the port anchor, a fog generator, several powder tanks and the portside life rafts.

Hard to make out but flying from the mast are flags signifying "This Ship has been Torpedoed".

Edit - Below is the image definition I originally wanted that would clearly show the 5" shell casings bobbing alongside the Honolulu.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Buckrock -- 4/27/2017 9:04:49 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 25
RE: Know your oilers - 4/27/2017 7:30:10 AM   
Buckrock

This was the USS Honolulu the following morning, anchored 1/2 mile off the invasion beach. Two fleet tugs (Menominee (Stbd) and Potawatomi (Port)) are
postioned alongside while annoyed landing craft pass around her as they try to go about their invasion duties.

After this photo was taken, the Honolulu got underway mid-afternoon (under her own power) and joined up with HMAS Australia (damaged that morning by
Kamikaze) to head for the main fleet base at Manus Island.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 26
RE: Know your oilers - 4/27/2017 6:18:07 PM   
BBfanboy

Very interesting - thanks Buckrock !

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Know your oilers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI