Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. - 3/25/2017 4:57:53 PM   
JReb

Fascinating article from WSJ. I am stunned by some of these numbers. I knew Rock still carried a punch but I am shocked nonetheless.

"Of the 25 artists with the highest record sales in the U.S. since 1991, when reliable data first became available, just one—Britney Spears—is under 40, Nielsen data show. Nineteen of the 25 are over 50 years old."

"In terms of concert-tour revenue, artists over 50 represent half of the $4.5 billion generated by last year’s top 100-grossing tours, excluding non-music acts and comedians, according to a WSJ analysis of data from Pollstar, the trade magazine. Of the top 10, five were over 50, including Bruce Springsteen (67), Guns N’ Roses (average age 53), Paul McCartney (74), Garth Brooks (55) and the Rolling Stones (73), Pollstar data show."

"Rock has an outsize influence on music sales. It was responsible for 41% of total U.S. album sales last year, far higher than hip-hop and R&B (15%), country (13%) or pop (10%), according to Nielsen."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/twilight-of-the-rock-gods-1490439609

My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!
Post #: 1
RE: Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. - 3/25/2017 5:35:15 PM   
wings7

Rock is still 'King' in my eyes...Garth Brooks is not Rock! He belongs in the simple "Country" music genre (thank goodness)!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to JReb)
Post #: 2
RE: Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. - 3/25/2017 8:38:19 PM   
demyansk

Yeah, I was walking somewhere yesterday, kids running and they had Iron Man on the portable boom box - then AC/DC
New rock is not what it used to be

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 3
RE: Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. - 3/26/2017 5:59:28 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: demjansk

It isn't?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 4
RE: Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. - 3/26/2017 11:37:24 PM   
demyansk

What is that?

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 5
RE: Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. - 3/27/2017 1:55:02 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: demjansk

It isn't?

Now that reminded me of the softer ManOWar songs

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 6
RE: Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. - 3/27/2017 12:13:40 PM   
KurtC

Let's face it. Those older guys were musicians and not just media creations. Most of them gained fans by actually writing and playing the music. Many of them were not "TV friendly" looks-wise but you usually heard their first songs on the radio and they were good song.

My known forum name is H Gilmer

He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
"There are no modern Nazis. The real Nazis in Hell laugh at the notion." - Gilmer, descendant of Poles.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 7
RE: Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. - 3/27/2017 2:03:05 PM   
IslandInland

Rock 'n Roll will never die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guhQalNOwkM

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

(in reply to KurtC)
Post #: 8
RE: Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. - 3/27/2017 3:34:59 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: XXXCorps

Rock 'n Roll will never die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guhQalNOwkM

Great song and slides!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 9
RE: Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. - 3/27/2017 4:00:56 PM   
JReb

What's so funny is you would never get this impression by watching the grammys or anything reported in the media. Its Beyonce and Blake Shelton 24/7 in the media.

What a strange awards show that would make though...

"Best album of 2017 goes to The Beatles for the White Album. Accepting for the Beatles is 74-yr old Paul McCartney. We'll give him a few minutes to walk up here..."

< Message edited by JReb -- 3/27/2017 4:05:28 PM >

My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 10
RE: Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. - 3/27/2017 4:39:09 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: JReb

What's so funny is you would never get this impression by watching the grammys or anything reported in the media. Its Beyonce and Blake Shelton 24/7 in the media.

The Grammy's and the like are pretty much a popularity contest. YouTube has thousands and thousands of classic Rock-Pop videos and song streams to enjoy!

(in reply to JReb)
Post #: 11
RE: Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. - 3/28/2017 2:53:01 AM   
bairdlander

Most of my co workers are mid 20's to mid 30's and often times hear them humming classic rock songs.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 12
RE: Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. - 3/28/2017 6:34:05 AM   
Orm

Could the strong position of rock, in part, be because rock fans in a higher degree buys records? And that they have the means to spend more money on concerts?

Intend attacking at dawn high water.

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 13
RE: Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. - 3/28/2017 3:06:08 PM   
IslandInland

quote:

ORIGINAL: JReb

What a strange awards show that would make though...

"Best album of 2017 goes to The Beatles for the White Album. Accepting for the Beatles is 74-yr old Paul McCartney. We'll give him a few minutes to walk up here..."

Paul Feels Fine. If he's had a Hard Day's Night then he might need a little Help when he's 74.

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

(in reply to JReb)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Rock n Roll Still Biggest Seller in U.S. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI