Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPORT FINDS

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPORT FINDS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPORT F... - 3/14/2017 10:07:50 PM   
Zorch

http://abc7.com/news/queen-mary-in-dire-need-of-repairs-due-to-age-report-finds/1799461/

LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- The Queen Mary is a majestic ship with an incredible history, but now the vessel that survived a World War is in dire need of repair.

"We've got rust everywhere. We've got expansion joint problems. She's an old gal. There's just stuff falling apart everywhere," said Mary Rohrer, who is part of an independent group called Restore the Queen.

A new report found that there is extensive corrosion and infrastructure issues with the ship. The damage is serious enough that within the next 10 years, some internal areas could collapse, according to the report.

"I think it was painted over 25 years ago. They're constantly doing stuff. They have a basic maintenance plan for the ship, but you know most of what's been done is cosmetic," Rohrer said.

The report estimates it could cost somewhere between $235 million to $289 million to fix all the issues.

The company that now operates the lease, Urban Commons, said Monday that the team is "already in full swing making critical structural renovations and repairs to ensure the Queen Mary is well equipped for the next 80 years."

"The city and Urban Commons have put $23 million into the immediate repair of the most urgent issues of the boat," said John Keisler with the city of Long Beach.

To pay for all the expenses, the city said part of the long-term plan is to develop the area around the ship with shops and restaurants.

Keisler said the boat cannot support itself so that is why about 40 acres of the area around the ship will be renovated to generate revenue to continue preserving it.

Urban Commons said it is in the middle of a major renovation and will start work on the outside of the ship later this year.
Post #: 1
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 3/15/2017 6:30:11 AM   
warspite1

Sadly I cannot play the video, but its good that someone is doing something to try and keep "the boat" from rusting away.

She really is a beautiful ship

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 3/15/2017 7:49:15 PM   
Kuokkanen

How much would it cost to build a new ship (same class) from scratch?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 3/15/2017 10:39:15 PM   
Zap

Here is an example of a city taking on something they thought would bring in a lot of money. But they did not investigate it well enough. Because, now the city of Long Beach(actually the taxpayers) will have to pay more money the the ship brought in. Another city taking on a loosing proposition. I lived a couple miles from Long Beach, Ca. when they were touting the purchase as a money maker for the city. No caution warnings at the time.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 4
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 3/15/2017 10:48:38 PM   
Aurelian

The USS Olympia is in the same way.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 5
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 3/16/2017 12:01:39 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

How much would it cost to build a new ship (same class) from scratch?

The Queen Mary 2 is the only ship in the same class today. Whilst there are many, many cruise liners, it's the only ocean liner in the world. The difference is that an ocean liner is built to handle virtually any seas in almost any part of the world. Cruise liners try to avoid bad weather and high waves but the QM2 tackles the North Atlantic, even through storms. That's not to say cruise liners are weak, and they occasionally ride out very nasty conditions but their raison d'être is tooling about in calm (usually tropical) waters. She's built tougher than cruise liners and her cruising speed is also higher (about 26 knots vs 23 knots). All this doesn't come cheap. The QM2 cost about US$900,000,000 over thirteen years ago.

So, adjusted for inflation, that's the sort of money you're looking at. Some sort of replica, although a romantic notion, isn't feasible. Passenger expectations have risen radically since the 1930s and people are just not going to pay for conditions thought acceptable back then. The Queen Mary, although huge for her day, is dwarfed by today's liners and wouldn't pay her way. Technology has massively moved on too. All in all, a non starter.

It'd be a pity if the Queen Mary isn't savable. These liners represented a fascinating period of transport technology and those of her generation were engaged in a speed and luxury arms race that was only eclipsed by the Second World War and the advent of affordable air travel. Whilst not vital for travel anymore, cruising is a huge and growing industry. My parents have been on several, the best of which was a Mediterranean holiday on the Queen Elizabeth when she was new, a few years ago. I convinced them that it actually represented excellent value for money after you consider accommodation, travel costs, convenience, facilities and food. They loved it.

The history of ocean liners is really interesting and is embroiled in the great power politics of the late 19th and 20th centuries. They obviously played a vital role in wartime too. This is a good documentary series from the 90s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhGcGvR4PEc&list=PLGev5DpvwS6V7q0feaAHzmWuUL0LLnHfD

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Neilster -- 3/16/2017 6:41:28 AM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 6
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 3/24/2017 2:12:24 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap
Another city taking on a loosing proposition.

Did you purposely misspell "losing?" (because of the apropos context)

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 7
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 3/24/2017 2:54:05 PM   
wings7

God save the Queen... Former Long Beach resident, saw her come in to harbor in 1967!

< Message edited by wings7 -- 3/24/2017 8:44:11 PM >

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to E)
Post #: 8
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 3/24/2017 10:36:24 PM   
philabos

Nellster's photo of QM2 reminds me of a story.
Stephen Payne was the designer of the vessel, and was aboard for the 10th anniversary Atlantic crossing.
As a young boy, he had hoped to design a future Queen Mary and sent his proposal to the British TV show Blue Peter, a children's program.
In those days they handed out gold, silver, and blue medals for submissions.
Blue Peter said it was an interesting proposal, but there would never again be such a vessel.
He did not get a gold coin.
Decades later he was on the maiden arrival of Queen Mary 2 into Southampton to be named by the Queen.
A TV crew from Bllue Peter came aboard to film.
The producer rushed to Mr. Payne, pressed a gold coin into his hand, and said "we know the story!"

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 9
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 3/24/2017 10:52:01 PM   
Richie61

I went on her in the summer of 1986 and also "The Spruce Goose" It was a great day!

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 10
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 4/17/2017 12:22:22 PM   
warspite1

Watching a BBC documentary on The Queen Mary - The Greatest Ocean Liner - very interesting.

When she was built there were 40 shipyards on the river Clyde

(in reply to Richie61)
Post #: 11
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 4/17/2017 2:31:20 PM   
warspite1

Wow - I never realised that a year into construction work was halted for 2 years due to the depression and Cunard running out of money.

The project - ship no.534 - was only saved thanks to the British Government who, in reaction to the French Government stepping in to assist the construction of the Normandie, provided the funds to get ship 534 moving again.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 12
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 4/17/2017 4:18:54 PM   
GaryChildress

I saw a PBS (public broadcasting system) special on the Great Ocean Liners when I was a kid. It was incredibly fascinating, so I did a report on them in one of my classes in grade school. Will be interesting to see what happens to the ship.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 13
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 4/17/2017 7:57:13 PM   
Zorch

Very hypothetically, how many torpedoes would it have taken to sink one of the Queens? They were hunted by U-boats but never shot at (to my knowledge).

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 14
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 4/17/2017 9:38:06 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Very hypothetically, how many torpedoes would it have taken to sink one of the Queens? They were hunted by U-boats but never shot at (to my knowledge).
warspite1

I don't know enough about her internal layout compared to say Lusitania. I suspect one maybe two (although probably depends too on where the hit is).

With 16,000 men on board that would not be good and why she could not stop after she tragically rammed - and cut in half - HMS Curacoa with the loss of over 300 lives.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 15
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 4/17/2017 10:02:56 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

I don't know enough about her internal layout compared to say Lusitania. I suspect one maybe two (although probably depends too on where the hit is).

With 16,000 men on board that would not be good and why she could not stop after she tragically rammed - and cut in half - HMS Curacoa with the loss of over 300 lives.

I don't think 1 torpedo would do it; the Queens were substantially larger than Lusitania. They were also better compartmentalized and (I believe) had RN crews for guns, etc.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 16
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 4/17/2017 10:12:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I don't think 1 torpedo would do it; the Queens were substantially larger than Lusitania. They were also better compartmentalized and (I believe) had RN crews for guns, etc.
warspite1

You may well be right, I have never read anything on this. Just a good job it was never tested

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 17
RE: QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPO... - 4/18/2017 2:25:29 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

warspite1

It depends on the type of torpedo as well. For the early war American Mk. 14, it may take a baker's dozen to get the right effect.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> QUEEN MARY IN DIRE NEED OF REPAIRS DUE TO AGE, REPORT FINDS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI