Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Weather oddities and Alternate versus Simultaneous turns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Weather oddities and Alternate versus Simultaneous turns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Weather oddities and Alternate versus Simultaneous turns - 3/5/2017 3:51:29 PM   
wie201

Well, not really an oddity, but how the game is played.

In a head-to-head game, the default, which we used, is for alternate turns. In other words, the Axis moves during one time period, and the allies another, sequential one. The problem I am having, as the Allied Player, is that over the Channel the Axis has clear weather, while turn after turn my airforce is socked it and cannot operate. Frustrating.

Luckily, for one (1) turn, my carriers were able to find ONE hex in the middle of a typhoon that was clear. Carrier after carrier rushed in and out, and blasted a way through. I will post this later in my HTH AAR (we had a mega session last night - very interesting).

But is the game better designed in a HTH for alternate or simultaneous turns? Is giving the Axis, quite literally, twice as many turns survivable? Although in my HTH I am set to, I believe, win, based on other AARs I have seen I would be terrified by having to defend the German Army twice as much as I already have.
Post #: 1
RE: Weather oddities and Alternate versus Simultaneous ... - 3/5/2017 6:31:39 PM   
freeboy

well the number of turns is the same for each side and the weather is randomized slightly.. works both ways as I have had clear in NA and Axis socked in in Greace...my system for Allied air is to take advantage of the bad days to rest refit and restore my airpower

(in reply to wie201)
Post #: 2
RE: Weather oddities and Alternate versus Simultaneous ... - 3/5/2017 7:48:45 PM   
wie201

I understand, and yes, you have some good points. But the Allied airpower is buffed and ready to roll. I took the time during the bad weather to rest and refit as you said, but the weather patterns seem, at least to me, to be a bit more than randomized "slightly."

From clear to bad and clear to bad and clear to only mostly bad forcing me to magnify in to find a hole in the weather somewhere. But the bad weather socks in England, clears up (over England), and then the storms move in again. And yes, I understand that both sides get the same number of turns.

I guess my point really is less about the weather patterns and more about Alternate versus Simultaneous turns. I can deal with the bad luck - it will turn in my favor and then my opponent can complain :). But has anyone tried Simultaneous turns in a HTH match-up? Against an experienced (and better than average player) German (Axis) Player? I have seen some great players on this forum and, as I said earlier, it would be exciting and challenging and I would love to try as Allies - but is it doable?

As my HTH as Allies winds down, perhaps I will ask Mark if he is willing to try this, under whatever the latest patch is. The only other problem is, late in the game, HTH turns already take over an hour and my latest turn took almost two hours.

Yes, great fun, but Mark and I need to stay married for goodness sakes :)

Thanks Freeboy!

< Message edited by wie201 -- 3/5/2017 7:56:06 PM >

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Weather oddities and Alternate versus Simultaneous turns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI