Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

If I wanted...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> If I wanted... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
If I wanted... - 3/3/2017 7:50:29 PM   
IBender

If wanted the board game version of the computer game what would I get? Searching on the internet provides a huge range of things and it is very confusing to understand what to get.

Thank you
Post #: 1
RE: If I wanted... - 3/3/2017 8:45:21 PM   
PeteGarnett

The 2007 deluxe edition is maybe a decent version close to what is currently coded in MWiF.

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 2
RE: If I wanted... - 3/4/2017 6:32:28 PM   
IBender

Thank you

(in reply to PeteGarnett)
Post #: 3
RE: If I wanted... - 3/5/2017 7:18:45 PM   
paulderynck

Note there are several differences and deviations in MWiF compared to the boardgame, notably the map scales. See the beginning of the MWiF players manual for a summary of these and word search the RAC for "Deviation".

Paul

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 4
RE: If I wanted... - 3/6/2017 7:52:38 AM   
Joseignacio

Yes, you'll find the Asia Pacific very different because of the scale, making the movement and the supply very different which changes the game a lot (and not for good I would say).

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 3/7/2017 10:15:30 AM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 5
RE: If I wanted... - 3/28/2017 8:54:10 PM   
IBender

World In Flames The Final Edition, Global Conflict:

Is this a reasonable edition to purchase? Would it fit and play with other expansions ie the flames. If I buy them later?

Thanks

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 6
RE: If I wanted... - 3/29/2017 12:32:25 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Azorn01

World In Flames The Final Edition, Global Conflict:

Is this a reasonable edition to purchase? Would it fit and play with other expansions ie the flames. If I buy them later?

Thanks

Looking at the website, it and WiF Classic appear to be sold out. Also, I'm pretty sure it works out cheaper in the long run if you buy one of the more expensive "compilation" packages. Perhaps WiF Deluxe is a good compromise as WiF Super Deluxe is quite pricey and there's an argument that too much chrome really slows the game down. It's not exactly a quick play as it is.

You could also check out Ebay or local such sites. You might pick up a bargain in very good, or even unpunched condition.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 7
RE: If I wanted... - 3/29/2017 4:05:16 AM   
IBender

Thanks for the tip. I just bought the final edition from ebay. Lets see what it is like. Your right the items from their site are super expensive. Is it odd to have their world in flames classic game sold out? Do they make it anymore?

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 8
RE: If I wanted... - 3/29/2017 4:56:00 AM   
paulderynck

There is a new "Collectors Edition" due out between now and next year sometime, so all the old stock is passe.

There will be many, many, many changes; but still the game we all know and love. MWiF Rules as Coded or RAC is based on Rules As Written, version 7 or RAW7 and MWiF might never reflect all the changes in RAW8, assuming the existing development roadmap remains as is.

Paul

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 9
RE: If I wanted... - 3/29/2017 4:56:22 AM   
BrianJH

quote:

Thanks for the tip. I just bought the final edition from ebay. Lets see what it is like. Your right the items from their site are super expensive. Is it odd to have their world in flames classic game sold out? Do they make it anymore?

Yes they do - Have a look at this.

Brian.

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 10
RE: If I wanted... - 4/4/2017 3:52:32 AM   
IBender

I have purchased wif global conflict the final edition. It seems to include:

planes in flames
ships in flames
mech in flames

I am very happy with what I have. I would like to keep my eye out on ebay and other sources for more items to grow my game set. The game expansions are still a little confusing to me.

Can I get a recommendation or even a list of what I might try and buy, in order from most important to least important?

Thanks

*side note, is it just me or are the common wealth counters in that dark blue difficult to see?

< Message edited by Azorn01 -- 4/4/2017 3:54:39 AM >

(in reply to BrianJH)
Post #: 11
RE: If I wanted... - 4/4/2017 4:33:22 AM   
paulderynck

Khaki in Flames is a recently published kit that renders all the CW counters in Khaki. That would be the one addition I'd recommend as it also solves the dark blue CW counter issue.

MWiF has units in it from the kits: Politics in Flames, Convoys in Flames and Cruisers in Flames. IMO the last two are not worth buying.

If you are interested in hypothetical conflicts subsequent to WWII then there are Patton in Flames (Axis conquered, now western Allies and USSR/Communist China fight it out) and America in Flames (Axis win WWII and now Germany/Italy invade the East Coast and Japan the West Coast of North America).

Paul

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 12
RE: If I wanted... - 4/4/2017 6:52:15 AM   
Joseignacio

I wouldn't buy Khaki in flames. It only changes the colour of the CW units and brings some divisions to the game. Nor convoys in Flames or Cruisers in flames (too many cruisers not really necessary and a lot of work to deploy and scrap).

Politics in flames mainly is only good for those who would like to run some alternative history instead of playing WWII. I am not fond of it, although those who get tired of playing WIF sometimes eager for alternative situations.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 13
RE: If I wanted... - 4/4/2017 6:59:05 AM   
warspite1

quote:

I have purchased wif global conflict the final edition. It seems to include:

planes in flames
ships in flames
mech in flames

I am very happy with what I have. I would like to keep my eye out on ebay and other sources for more items to grow my game set. The game expansions are still a little confusing to me.

Can I get a recommendation or even a list of what I might try and buy, in order from most important to least important?

Thanks

*side note, is it just me or are the common wealth counters in that dark blue difficult to see?
warspite1

If like me you find the Commonwealth blue a strain on the eyes I would definitely get Khaki in Flames - although with hindsight I wouldn't have downloaded that mod for MWIF. They look great but the problem is that the convoy screen is almost impossible to read.....

If you are a fan of all things naval then I would get Cruisers and Convoys in Flames. If not then you could easily do without the extra work involved.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 14
RE: If I wanted... - 4/4/2017 6:31:26 PM   
IBender

Thanks. I will consider what you all have said. Appreciate the info.

< Message edited by Azorn01 -- 4/4/2017 6:32:49 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> If I wanted... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI