Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Test: F35 v. Russias most modern SAM systems

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Test: F35 v. Russias most modern SAM systems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Test: F35 v. Russias most modern SAM systems - 3/1/2017 7:06:17 AM   
wild_Willie2

Hi there,

As the latest reports from Red Flag stated that the F-35 in its current configuration where taking out the most modern Russian SAM systems with just free fall weapons, I decided to run some tests in Command.

I tested one on one engagements between a Jamming F-35 (although with some extra Growler support) and the most modern Russian SAM systems and the outcome was quite interesting.

Proficiency of both sides: regular. Conditions: daytime, no clouds.

F35 v. Sa-23 Gladiator- F35 jamming, 36k, Growlers jamming at 60 miles, SBD/LJDAM released at 2 miles, Sa-23 destroyed.

F35 v. Sa-26- F35 jamming, 36k, Growlers jamming at 32 miles, SBD/LJDAM released at 2 miles, Sa-26 destroyed.

F35 v. Sa-17 Grizzly- F35 jamming, 36k, Growlers jamming at 31 miles, SBD/LJDAM released at 2 miles, Sa-17 destroyed.

F35 v. Sa-25- F35 jamming, 36k, Growlers jamming at 69 miles, F-35 detected at 8 miles via IR camera, AC and SBD/LJDAM destroyed.

F35 v. Sa-20a Gargoyle- F35 jamming, 36k, Growlers jamming at 81 miles, SBD/LJDAM released at 2 miles, Sa-20a destroyed.

F35 v. Sa-12a Gladiator- F35 jamming, 36k, Growlers jamming at 81 miles, SBD/LJDAM released at 2 miles, Sa-12a destroyed.

F35 v. Sa-10b Grumble- F35 jamming, 36k, Growlers jamming at 42 miles, SBD/LJDAM released at 2 miles, Sa-10b destroyed.

F35 v. Sa-21a Growler- F35 jamming, 36k, Growlers jamming at 116 miles, SBD/LJDAM released at 2 miles, Sa-21a destroyed.

F35 v. Sa-21a/b Growler- F35 jamming, 36k, Growlers jamming at 120 miles, F-35 detected at 36 miles, AC and SBD/LJDAM destroyed.

F35 v. Sa-22 Greyhound- F35 jamming, 36k, Growlers jamming at 15 miles, SBD/LJDAM released at 2 miles, Sa-22 destroyed.

F35 v. Sa-8b Gecko- F35 jamming, 36k, Growlers jamming at 10 miles, SBD/LJDAM released at 2 miles, Sa-8b destroyed.

So we can basically conclude that the in a one v. one situation, a jamming F-35 with some growler support can take out over 80% of the most modern Russian SAM systems with just bombs. Only the systems with the best radars and self-guided radar homing missiles (Sa-21a/b) or with extremely good IR systems (Sa-25) can stand up to it in a one v. one situation.

I personally think this is very useful to know while planning operations.

W.

< Message edited by wild_Willie2 -- 3/1/2017 7:07:22 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Test: F35 v. Russias most modern SAM systems - 3/2/2017 12:03:23 AM   
Cik

that's insane. i can't believe jammers are that effective. is there some sort of jammer/stealth synergy that's just brutalizing those poor SAMs, or what?

that seems ludicrously effective. way more effective than i'd ever considered possible, in fact. i would have figured the jammers would be ineffective at best, useless at worst and that the F-35 would have been detected and destroyed at 20-50~ nm, long before entering WEZ on freefall bombs.

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 2
RE: Test: F35 v. Russias most modern SAM systems - 3/2/2017 3:59:42 AM   
magi

thats really interesting.... amazing....

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 3
RE: Test: F35 v. Russias most modern SAM systems - 3/2/2017 5:07:40 AM   
wild_Willie2

The results of these tests are quite interesting, but the problem is that any decent commander will always create a layered and integrated air deference system instead of just a single system. If you play the Crimean River scenario you can see for yourself how difficult it actually is to break through such a layered system (especially when anchored by an Sa-21a/b Growler system), even with F-22's and F-35's.

The combination of stealth and a powerful jammer makes it extremely difficult for SAM systems to lock on to an F-35 and by releasing JDAM's from such a close range, SAM's simply do not have the time to detect and engage the weapons before they hit.

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 4
RE: Test: F35 v. Russias most modern SAM systems - 3/6/2017 12:35:04 PM   
giantsquid

Thanks for the interesting test. About this topic (new russian/chinese SAM) there is a very interesting artcile on Naval Sitrep for Harpoon4 boardgame rules, with many details about capabilities and ranges:
You can see a preview here (large preview): http://www.wargamevault.com/product/165776/Naval-SITREP-49-October-2015
I bought the copy anyway

Francesco

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 5
RE: Test: F35 v. Russias most modern SAM systems - 3/6/2017 1:26:05 PM   
Sardaukar

Often systems like SA-21 Growler (S-400) are protected by short-ranges systems like SA-15 Tor or Pantsir-system. That is to give them close-in protection against guided weapons that SA-21 is not that well-suited to engage.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to giantsquid)
Post #: 6
RE: Test: F35 v. Russias most modern SAM systems - 3/17/2017 6:50:28 AM   
magi

this has helped me out....

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Test: F35 v. Russias most modern SAM systems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI