Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bomber command tips

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Bomber command tips Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bomber command tips - 2/26/2017 2:04:29 PM   
cato12

So im up to dec 44 in my current game and bomber command has been brought to its knees by the Luftwaffe.

im routinely being intercepted by 200-300 night fighters on each raid which has decimated my bomber fleet.

is there any way to get more night fighters as the 260 I have isn't nearly enough. any other tips would be great as well.
Post #: 1
RE: Bomber command tips - 2/26/2017 2:34:03 PM   
LiquidSky

Considering it is 1944, it is probably a bit late with the advice, so I will talk in general about how to eliminate the Luftwaffe.

In the beginning.....you should only be bombing the Ruhr with Bomber Command. At Night. Set up a good bombing Air Directive, say Wuppertal with a 3 hex box. Don't bomb every day, and every turn, rest any squadron with a morale less then say 60.

You can rebase all the night fighters to southern England and make them part of Bomber Command if you want, but sometimes you may want to use some of them for other things.

The americans should also start by bombing the Ruhr....but can occasionally range elsewhere. As you get more and more long range fighters, you can hit deeper targets.

If for any reason you suspect the Luftwaffe has a presence in airbases in any area...bomb the airfields with the American 4 engine bombers. Carpet bombing the airfields will wreck them.

Feel free to fly all the air superiority missions you want....trading fighters for fighters only favours you. If you are resting a lot of bomber squadrons, you can keep the attrition up.

Finally..at some point the back of the day Luftwaffe fighters will be broken....you no longer have to fly at night with Bomber command, so switch them to day missions and bombs away.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to cato12)
Post #: 2
RE: Bomber command tips - 2/26/2017 3:53:28 PM   
Devonport

In addition to that, it helps to set all night fighters pilot replacements to be trained. You have more day fighters than you can ever use, but night fighters are scarce, so it makes sense to us we the best pilots.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 3
RE: Bomber command tips - 2/26/2017 5:11:51 PM   
cato12

Yeah I do most of that. The pilot replacements and using bomber command during the day are ideas I hadn't though of though.

cheers

(in reply to Devonport)
Post #: 4
RE: Bomber command tips - 2/27/2017 7:26:48 AM   
LiquidSky

The allies should use trained pilots for everything....they easily train more pilots then they need. Historically they started dismantling the pilot schools in 1944.

An untrained pilot should never enter a plane..... the Norwegian, Czech etc should be put in quieter areas so they aren't used for attrition.

Sheesh....the Americans get 375 pilots a turn. The British 225.

When you add pilots, it always takes from the pool first before it takes untrained (and only if you say it is okay to do so)

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to cato12)
Post #: 5
RE: Bomber command tips - 2/27/2017 1:38:05 PM   
Q-Ball

Are you sure those are night fighters decimating your bombers? Or Flak? What altitude are you flying at?

When you say "decimating", are you talking just keeping morale low (which I would expect), or shooting down scores of planes?

I have never seen German Night Fighters cause massive damage. They help keep morale low in Bomber Command, between that and Flak it's typical to have 1/2 of your units too low in morale to bomb that turn and on rest. They'll shoot some down, but not scores.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 6
RE: Bomber command tips - 2/27/2017 6:22:57 PM   
cato12

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Are you sure those are night fighters decimating your bombers? Or Flak? What altitude are you flying at?

When you say "decimating", are you talking just keeping morale low (which I would expect), or shooting down scores of planes?

I have never seen German Night Fighters cause massive damage. They help keep morale low in Bomber Command, between that and Flak it's typical to have 1/2 of your units too low in morale to bomb that turn and on rest. They'll shoot some down, but not scores.

im talking about getting to jan 45 and realising that I wasn't building enough bombers to keep up with losses. Was routinely getting smashed by 200 + night fighters and losing around 10% each raid which I assume would be mostly fighter losses. flying at max altitude so 22000-23000 feet.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 7
RE: Bomber command tips - 2/27/2017 7:08:54 PM   
Devonport

Have you no replacement bombers available? Are you manually upgrading the bombers or leaving it on auto?

(in reply to cato12)
Post #: 8
RE: Bomber command tips - 2/27/2017 9:41:36 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: cato12

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

im talking about getting to jan 45 and realising that I wasn't building enough bombers to keep up with losses. Was routinely getting smashed by 200 + night fighters and losing around 10% each raid which I assume would be mostly fighter losses. flying at max altitude so 22000-23000 feet.

Can you post screenshots of your production? Something is not right. The British produce massive numbers of Level Bombers, more than you really need. By 1945, you should have 1000s in the pool

(in reply to cato12)
Post #: 9
RE: Bomber command tips - 2/28/2017 2:29:04 PM   
LiquidSky

I'm with Devonport on this....

It sounds a lot like you have your Squadrons set on Manual (which is default) for upgrades.

So what has happened is your airforce has attritioned down to the point where the Luftwaffe can handle it.

Hit 'c' for the commanders report.

At the top are several tabs. Units/HQ's/Air Groups/Leaders/Battles/Locations/Equipment

Press the Air Groups tab.

Underneath the tabs it will tell you how many aircraft you have in general....Total, in Reserve, Damaged....
Beside that is 5 functions. This will set various things for all the aircraft you have listed in the bottom. You can filter this at the very bottom by selecting various things such as NONE then FB to list only fighter bombers.

But for now.....press Change Upgr. Select 1 for AUTO. Now the computer will automatically do upgrades for you if it thinks it has the aircraft.

Replace will change what type of pilots you will accept.....you can hit 3 for trained pilots only.

Don't hit Disband...that will get rid of your entire airforce which is now showing below.

Now hit Add Pilots.....Hit Yes, and Yes. All your squadrons will fill up with pilots.

The next turn you should notice a lot of new shiny planes in your squadrons...you may have to rest them for a couple turns if the morale is low.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 10
RE: Bomber command tips - 2/28/2017 4:52:11 PM   
cato12

Yeah I do auto upgrades.

Here are the screenshots for production and losses

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 11
RE: Bomber command tips - 2/28/2017 4:53:20 PM   
cato12

and production

bomber command hasn't been flying night missions since January so numbers aren't as bad as they were when I gave up the night bombing campaign.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by cato12 -- 2/28/2017 4:55:27 PM >

(in reply to cato12)
Post #: 12
RE: Bomber command tips - 2/28/2017 5:34:10 PM   
Helpless

Do you play AI? If yes, what is the morale level in the game options?

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to cato12)
Post #: 13
RE: Bomber command tips - 2/28/2017 6:30:03 PM   
cato12

Yeah playing AI on challenging difficulty.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Bomber command tips Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI