Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Normal or Hard difficuty ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Normal or Hard difficuty ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Normal or Hard difficuty ? - 1/20/2017 3:24:49 PM   
fuselex

Generally I take the attacking side , the AI I find is better at defending.
The OOC rule on hard level can be a real pain in the butt attacking ,
The one stack you really want to move decides it`s a bit busy and won`t go anywhere ,
But a lot of scenario`s I have managed to win have come down to the other side going OOC ,
enabling my units to rush their position.
The best piece of advice I have gleamed from the forums ----
You win by your feet , not your guns ( something like that ).
Normal difficulty the opposition doesn`t go OOC ,
Just wondering what others think?

Post #: 1
RE: Normal or Hard difficuty ? - 1/20/2017 4:52:05 PM   
Corto2London

In my opinion, OOC rule is a handicap rule. In Hard difficulty, you chose to apply the handicap to both side, which does not affect balance of the game.
Game become more difficult for both side.
Finally, Hard mode is not more difficult to win than Normal mode since as you said, sometimes you can rush on OOC enemy.
When I really want a difficult game, I play Very Hard level, applying handicap only to my side.
So the game is much more tough :-)

(in reply to fuselex)
Post #: 2
RE: Normal or Hard difficuty ? - 1/20/2017 5:08:59 PM   
Hailstone

Fuselex, for me it's the normal setting because playing with OoC is so annoying! Yet, I can understand the heart of a true competitor in Corto2London taking on all comers regardless of the odds. You can also look at it as a measure of your personal risk aversion personality with those who tend to play it safe in real life versus those who thrive on the thrill. Sometimes I get a lot of liquid courage sucking up beer that I'll would make the craziest moves in TotH.

(in reply to Corto2London)
Post #: 3
RE: Normal or Hard difficuty ? - 1/20/2017 5:25:24 PM   
fuselex

thanks ,
sort of confirms what I thought .
Those craziest beer sucking moments are the best :)

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 4
RE: Normal or Hard difficuty ? - 1/20/2017 6:24:05 PM   
UP844

Very Hard all the way!

Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP

(in reply to fuselex)
Post #: 5
RE: Normal or Hard difficuty ? - 1/21/2017 4:33:09 PM   
Big Ivan

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuselex

Generally I take the attacking side , the AI I find is better at defending.
The OOC rule on hard level can be a real pain in the butt attacking ,
The one stack you really want to move decides it`s a bit busy and won`t go anywhere ,
But a lot of scenario`s I have managed to win have come down to the other side going OOC ,
enabling my units to rush their position.
The best piece of advice I have gleamed from the forums ----
You win by your feet , not your guns ( something like that ).
Normal difficulty the opposition doesn`t go OOC ,
Just wondering what others think?

fuselex,

I pretty much go with normal difficulty in the few scenarios I have played thus far. I remember trying one with hard
difficulty but in the end I won because at the crucial time in the scenario, one turn to go the two best stacks for the
A/I went "Out-of-Command". I was able to rush the objectives and win.

I also agree whole heartedly with your statement that the A/I is better on defense than offense. There was one scenario,
"Budapest under Siege" where the Russians start out on the offense but then at some point must convert to defensive tactics
because heavy German armor comes in to try and turn the tide. In this one as the Russians I was able to clear the Germans
defending in the town with the big help of a critical hit on the building where the German 10-3 Major was standing. After that I turned
my attention to the German armor coming in from the top edge and quickly scored a critical hit on a JgPz V. After that the German
tanks seemed to slow down on their advance. I hit a Hetzer up forward no less than 7 times and only immobilized it. In the meantime the other
German armor zeroed in and much to my chagrin I lost 5 T-34/85's and 1 SU-100.
But alas the scenario was mine because well, the A/I ran out of time and wasn't aggressive enough!

Because of situations like this I echo some of the sentiment in other threads that the A/I needs some work. It needs to be a lot more aggressive
if that is possible and it should be programmed to take at a higher probability but still random, the most opportunistic shot (highest probability of success).

If the A/I is improved to the point of giving a decent showing of itself in normal mode, the difficulty levels won't matter as much.

I do confess I have not tried a scenario on very hard difficulty but just to see what the sauce is made of, I will.
Maybe one of the stock scenarios or one of Rico's masterpieces!

Good thread, thanks for getting it started!

Cheers!

Blitz call sign Big Ivan.

(in reply to fuselex)
Post #: 6
RE: Normal or Hard difficuty ? - 1/21/2017 7:12:24 PM   
Hailstone

Big Ivan, be careful what you were for. The latest update did make the AI more aggressive to the point of recklessness sometimes. I was able to kill 5 t-34's with two Panthers in the first turn of one of Rico's scenarios because the T-34's just came straight on toward the Panthers. It must be very difficult to adjust the behavior of AFV's with the AI either too cautious or too aggressive.

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Normal or Hard difficuty ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI