From: San Diego (Lives in Indianapolis)
Andy and I are in talks about Focus pacific game. We've agreed to play, but as a policy, until the first turn is in I'm keeping this "open."
Q. What is a warp invasion in 1942?
A. It's not 1942 so much as it is "what is historically plausible" given the resources of Japan and the IJN/IJA infighting. So things I consider a warp invasion:
1. Surprise, it's the Japanese Army landing on the West Coast of North America at the beginning of the war!
2. The invasion of any part of Australia prior to the clearing out of New Guinea.
3. The invasion of Hawaii prior to the securing of the supply lines in the Western Pacific (including Midway)
4. The invasion of Ceylon or India prior to the fall of Rangoon and Singapore
5. The invasion of the West Coast of North America would never have made sense; however, I won't complain as the Allied player if Hawaii is firmly in your hands.
That kind of things. As I stated somewhere else recently, I'm fine with the Japanese invasion of anywhere as long as it is semi-historically plausible, and that really means IJ accomplishing the things that it would have minimally required for the IJA and IJN to agree to do it. I mean, it doesn't need to meet the condition "that these are the conditions under which they likely would have agreed," just what would have been the bare minimum for the idea to possibly have a chance. :D
And none of these things are really hard for the Japanese player to do, but usually it takes them a month or two to do them. So the restriction is really only to December 41 and maybe January 42, depending.
In turn you get from me:
1. I will never do a full Sir Robin
2. See above. I will put up a fight for things that it would have been politically impossible for the Allies to not have put up a fight for.
a. No mass evacuations of Singapore, Hong Kong, the Philippines
b. No hiding off map or in safe ports of every Allied navy--I will challenge you and lose lots of ships (most likely) doing it
ORIGINAL: John 3rd
Did you find your opponent?
If you look at BTS we'll be having a new version out fairly soon.
Depending on how this plays out, I may be looking for another game (which will be BTS) after you guys finish the new version. It all depends on my time investment.
I was playing in 3 PBEMs, which I managed; however, one of my opponents evaporated and I haven't heard from in 4 or 5 months, and one of my games has slowed down quite a bit (a couple turns a week). Assuming all goes well with Andy, I'll see how the time commitment plays out as I am of working age with a wife and children (and I have other hobbies!). It's certainly not a long shot though, especially when things get going and I can reduce the turn time to 15 minutes to a 30 an hour.
< Message edited by Revthought -- 1/9/2017 8:30:40 PM >
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.