Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition? - 1/2/2017 4:10:04 PM   
Anachro

Hello all,

Doing some research and finding a paucity of exact information though google. Any suggestions would be very helpful. I'm trying to get the typical roles and functions for the typical Japanese destroyer, as well as other ships? i.e. Officer composition and role (torpedo officer, chief navigator, etc.) at the very least.

Thanks.

EDIT

I could just not be looking in the right places. If so, forgive me.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 1/2/2017 4:14:00 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition? - 1/2/2017 4:41:21 PM   
MakeeLearn

These links may help:

https://sites.google.com/site/davidijn/ijncruiserandbattleshipdoctrine

http://ww2db.com/other.php?other_id=15

https://sites.google.com/site/davidijn/home

https://sites.google.com/site/davidijn/imperialjapanesenavyinworldwarii(japanesemonograph116)

http://combinedfleet.com/kaigun.htm

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2
RE: Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition? - 1/2/2017 5:05:24 PM   
Anachro

I've visited those links, but they sadly seem to be lacking in details beyond broad organizational subjects. I downloaded the pdf the the Monograph 116 and it is useful, but doesn't deal with the specific crew composition of ships. David's site seems to highlight the availability of some interesting documentation, but doesn't have anything beyond a translation of the document's table of contents.

I was really interested in the Destroyer Doctrine documents on David's site. Alas.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 1/2/2017 5:07:34 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3
RE: Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition? - 1/2/2017 5:06:40 PM   
Anachro

RANDOM EXTRA POST

< Message edited by Anachro -- 1/2/2017 5:07:14 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 4
RE: Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition? - 1/2/2017 5:29:18 PM   
MakeeLearn

"Japanese Destroyer Captain"

Tameichi Hara

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tameichi_Hara

Google book

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 1/2/2017 5:31:27 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 5
RE: Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition? - 1/2/2017 6:05:12 PM   
Anachro

Yes, read his book. Have it in my library. Great insight, but it doesn't shed light on all the officer roles/types of a destroyer. You think this documentation would be easy to find... I'll just keep looking. Thanks, MakeeLearn.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 6
RE: Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition? - 1/2/2017 11:52:06 PM   
spence

Per "Shattered Sword" Japanese aviators on their ships were part of their specific ship's crew. This was unlike the USN where Air Groups had their own administrative and maintenance staffs and transferred between carriers as needed.
(Thus Yorktown's losses at Coral Sea were made good out of Air Group 3 so it could show up at Midway a month later while Ziukaku's losses at Coral Sea were not made good and it missed MIdway).

Also in "Shattered Sword" it mentions that most IJN aviators were junior enlisted men and thus accorded all the "privileges" thereof whereas the USN mostly had Officers as pilots. This was not just a social difference: officers in general had a broader educational base of experience (even enlisted pilots received additional general education) thus they could and did function in other shipboard capacities.

Again in "Shattered Sword" it mentions that unlike the USN the damage control function was pursued solely by special ratings in the IJN. Basically a non-damage control rating sat in the midst of fire or flooding and watched the professionals save the ship (OR NOT). This is the genesis of the USN damage control advantage that is included in the game.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 7
RE: Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition? - 1/3/2017 2:42:51 AM   
wdolson

I've heard there is a lot of material out there on the IJN if you read Japanese. Very little of it has ever been translated and a fair bit of what was translated is considered poor quality by Japanese historians.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 8
RE: Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition? - 1/3/2017 2:53:20 AM   
John 3rd

Evans and Peattie said as much in Kaigun.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 9
RE: Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition? - 1/3/2017 3:35:00 PM   
DanSez

From what I have read, the Royal Navy was very influential in how Japan set up their naval fleet/command from just after it's inception through the 1920's. By that time, command structures (officer ranks/ratios/etc) would be well established going into their final build up for the Pacific War.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 10
RE: Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition? - 1/3/2017 4:39:25 PM   
DanSez

You might find some good stuff here:
http://propnturret.com/tully/viewforum.php?f=7

this is a copy of a post within the thread:
HMS AKIZUKI OFFICERS

Postby Matthew Jones » Tue May 05, 2015 9:18 pm
Hi Ian,

I'm looking for those Akizuki officers myself. Destroyers didn't have the position of XO officially; the position of XO rotated among whomever was senior between Torpedo, Gunnery and Navigation Officers. LT OKADA Ichiryo (66) was Akizuki's Gunnery Officer at the time of her sinking, having been in the post since 25 October 1943. To my knowledge his final rank was LT.

I found some comments referring to 'lists' made or provided earlier but with some digging, you might either find or get them to repost.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 11
RE: Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition? - 1/3/2017 7:34:15 PM   
Anachro

Dan,

Thanks for the information! It's very helpful. I have also begun brushing up my old college Japanese (sometimes use it in work too) and am going through Japanese sources, impeded by my rustiness with kanji.

For my AAR, I found an interesting document through looking at works cited list from Evans' and Peattie's Kaigun. There is a full account of the Pearl Harbor operation from the perspective of Sadao Chigusa, who was "Chief Ordinance Officer and Executive Officer" of the Akigumo (the ship of my AAR) at the time. It covers that operation's events from the beginning to end from the perspective of my ship! I also notice Sadao's title seems to be in line with your quotes regarding how a destroyer's XO was determined.

I'll post if I find more!

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Books on IJN ship crew/officer composition? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI