Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Playable without graphics card?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Playable without graphics card? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Playable without graphics card? - 1/1/2017 11:21:07 PM   
SeanSask

Is MWiF playable on a computer with no graphics card (i.e. just motherboard integrated graphics)?
Post #: 1
RE: Playable without graphics card? - 1/2/2017 12:29:32 AM   
davidachamberlain

Here are the System Requirements (from the manual):

OS: Windows XP, Win 7, Win 8 (I have a machine using Windows 10 and it is fine)
CPU: 1 GHz - 2Ghz recommended
RAM: 1GB - 2 GB recommended
Video/Graphics: 128 MB graphics memory, 512MB recommended
Sound card/speakers: Optional
CD-ROM: Not required (program can be downloaded).
Hard Disk: 4 GB - 12 GB recommended
DirectX Version: DirectX not used
Peripherals: Mouse and Keyboard
Others: Internet Connection for program updates (also for Netplay)

The fact that DirectX is not used is a major indication that just the operating system/system board graphics is adequate. This is not a video intensive game. You click on counters and move them around. If you can play a movie or look at photos on your machine, you won't have any problem.

You can also look at screen shots from the game on the forums. There are active games that have After Action Reports (AAR) that you can see images from those games.

Dave

(in reply to SeanSask)
Post #: 2
RE: Playable without graphics card? - 1/2/2017 12:38:45 AM   
SeanSask

Thanks Dave.

The system requirements in the manual are different than the ones posted on the website - the website refers to "32MB graphics card"

So I guess my concern is that when the game installs, it will attempt to detect a graphics card on my system (or a certain amount of graphics memory), fail to find any, thus causing the installation to fail. Any thoughts?

(in reply to davidachamberlain)
Post #: 3
RE: Playable without graphics card? - 1/2/2017 12:57:06 AM   
davidachamberlain

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeanSask

Thanks Dave.

The system requirements in the manual are different than the ones posted on the website - the website refers to "32MB graphics card"

So I guess my concern is that when the game installs, it will attempt to detect a graphics card on my system (or a certain amount of graphics memory), fail to find any, thus causing the installation to fail. Any thoughts?

Not sure what version of Windows you are using, but if you are using Windows 7 or greater, you can look at:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Display > Adjust Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings (Adapter tab) to see your video capabilities. It might be a bit different, but you should be able to find these in that vicinity.

Most Windows capable machines (with pre-installation) will meet the requirements.

This is not like an action video game, so the requirements are not so severe.

Dave

(in reply to SeanSask)
Post #: 4
RE: Playable without graphics card? - 1/2/2017 9:40:25 AM   
juntoalmar

I play this game in a MacBook Pro with a virtual machine that has only 512Mb of video memory (and I played previously on an old ASUS laptop). I suspect you would have no problems with a "normal" computer even if it's three or four years old (but I can't promise).

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to davidachamberlain)
Post #: 5
RE: Playable without graphics card? - 1/2/2017 11:04:23 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeanSask

Is MWiF playable on a computer with no graphics card (i.e. just motherboard integrated graphics)?

I use a bare bones Dell system for testing NetPlay and it runs MWIF with no problems. That system does not have a separate graphics card - just the Intel motherboard graphics.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to SeanSask)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Playable without graphics card? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI