Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Burma Oil Usage for Japan

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Burma Oil Usage for Japan Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Burma Oil Usage for Japan - 12/14/2016 4:37:22 AM   
ashkpa

Japan has captured the Burma oil via an overland march from the coast of the Bay of Bengal.
There is no rail line to a port, but only a set of controlled hexes to the coast.
The game allowed me, as Japan, to use the Burma oil to reorganize ships and planes that had remained at sea.

These same units could reach the oil in Palembang but no other units could reach that oil. Here, I thought it was reachable since it was on the coast, but apparently not.

Is this correct implementation of the rules.

The attached game file is at the beginning of the oil usage phase for Japan and the first unit in the list is in the Bay of Bengal and can use the oil. Other units at sea in the Mariannas and the S. China Sea can also use the oil.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Burma Oil Usage for Japan - 12/14/2016 5:45:43 AM   
paulderynck

I agree it looks like 2 bugs. All should be able to use Palembang but none should be able to use the one in Burma. You have to trace an unlimited supply path to an oil but there's no port in Burma to trace to.

Also it looks odd that there's no control flag on the Burmese oil hex - unless it is hidden under the resource marker.

Paul

(in reply to ashkpa)
Post #: 2
RE: Burma Oil Usage for Japan - 12/14/2016 5:37:39 PM   
Courtenay

Actually, Paul, no path is necessary to reorganize naval units at sea. The oil teleports.

I know that is strange, but that is the rule. So no bug.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 3
RE: Burma Oil Usage for Japan - 12/15/2016 4:55:12 AM   
paulderynck

That's a good point, I didn't check the list of units that had the Burmese oil as eligible to see if any were not naval units. A pretty bizarre rules loophole in this case - we always had a house rule for flipping naval units - but that's neither WiF nor MWiF.

But the Palembang oil should be available to all units and it isn't, so that seems like a bug to me.

Paul

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 4
RE: Burma Oil Usage for Japan - 12/15/2016 7:29:11 AM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

That's a good point, I didn't check the list of units that had the Burmese oil as eligible to see if any were not naval units. A pretty bizarre rules loophole in this case - we always had a house rule for flipping naval units - but that's neither WiF nor MWiF.

But the Palembang oil should be available to all units and it isn't, so that seems like a bug to me.

Yes, that is a bug; it has been reported before.

Post #: 5
RE: Burma Oil Usage for Japan - 12/16/2016 2:07:43 AM   
ashkpa

quote:

All of the units that could use the Burma oil were at sea, several were air units the rest naval units.

Post #: 6
RE: Burma Oil Usage for Japan - 12/16/2016 3:38:57 AM   
brian brian

That's what I was thinking; ships at sea can use any oil (even Allied ships stranded in the Baltic or Mediterranean I think, per the rules). The "MN" - Magical Navy. I guess air units moving down a box can join in the magic? Never thought about that in WiF or MWiF.

(in reply to ashkpa)
Post #: 7
RE: Burma Oil Usage for Japan - 12/17/2016 4:15:27 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

That's what I was thinking; ships at sea can use any oil (even Allied ships stranded in the Baltic or Mediterranean I think, per the rules). The "MN" - Magical Navy. I guess air units moving down a box can join in the magic? Never thought about that in WiF or MWiF.

Any unit at sea, air or naval, may be reorganized by any oil. (No land unit can be at sea at that time.)

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 8
RE: Burma Oil Usage for Japan - 10/26/2020 9:47:02 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I disagree.

If the Palembang oil can reach a friendly port (e.g., Batavia) it can be used. But unlike the other NEI oil resources, Palembang does not have a port in its hex. Without access to a port, it is not available for reorganizing units - except units at sea as discussed in several posts above in this thread, or units that can reach it overland.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 9
RE: Burma Oil Usage for Japan - 10/26/2020 10:22:02 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I disagree.

If the Palembang oil can reach a friendly port (e.g., Batavia) it can be used. But unlike the other NEI oil resources, Palembang does not have a port in its hex. Without access to a port, it is not available for reorganizing units - except units at sea as discussed in several posts above in this thread, or units that can reach it overland.

It seems weird to me that the Palembang oil hex is considered a port for resource transportation, but not for reorganization.

Edit: However, that seems to be the rules unless there is a clarification made. Seems the Palembang oil needs to be saved in another location first before it can be used for reorganization.

< Message edited by Orm -- 10/26/2020 10:24:22 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Burma Oil Usage for Japan Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI