Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supply for Dummies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Supply for Dummies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supply for Dummies - 11/27/2016 7:52:13 PM   
sPzAbt653

Look at this screenshot and notice the White on Blue Numbers. These are the Resource Value Ratings for each Location. Mousing over a location will give you the information seen at the bottom of the screen, right of the Jump Map. In this case we are moused over Berlin and can see that Berlin has a Resource Value of 12 [12 is the best we will ever see]. These White on Blue Numbers relate directly to Supply Values.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 11/27/2016 8:02:57 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/27/2016 7:53:38 PM   
sPzAbt653

Hit 'S' on your keyboard and the Supply Grid will be displayed. Notice that at Berlin the Supply Level is 12, but as you move each hex away from Berlin that level drops. In this particular case, supply is really good everywhere as all of the Resources are rated at 12, 10 or 8. Notice that at Prague the Supply Level is 10, because that Resource has a Supply Rating of 10, and Supply drops from 10 as you move away from Prague. If you hit 'S" a second time, the 'predicted' Supply Level for the next turn is displayed [it's not exact, the computer makes its' best guess]. Hit 'S' again [or any other key] and the Supply Grid will clear.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 2
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/27/2016 7:54:39 PM   
sPzAbt653

Now look at North Africa in the 1942 Campaign. Notice the White on Blue Numbers. Mouse over Tobruk and see the bottom right display, the Supply Level is 5, and that is the highest Resource Value we ever get in North Africa. Notice that some of the Resource Values are White on Brown instead of White on Blue because those are enemy occupied.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/27/2016 7:55:51 PM   
sPzAbt653

Hit 'S' to display the Supply Grid and see what we get. Compared to the Berlin area that we saw above, this is horrible supply. However, notice the effect that HQ's have on the Supply Grid. HQ's raise supply. In this shot we are moused over the Rommel HQ [blue circle]. Notice in the bottom left display the Supply Level of 4[8]. This means that the Rommel unit is in a Level 4 Supply Location, but the HQ raises that level to 8. See how the Supply Grid radiates 8 from the Rommel location.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 4
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/27/2016 7:56:32 PM   
sPzAbt653

Lower Supply Levels mean lower Readiness and Morale Levels, and lesser ability to receive Replacements. Supply level 0 means No Replacements, Supply Level 1 means a unit can only be brought up to a strength of 4 by replacements, Supply Level 5 means a unit can only be brought up to a strength of 8 by replacements, Supply Level 6 or higher means a unit can be brought up to full strength. This is very important, because if you are trying to capture a location and you are causing 3 or 4 losses per turn, but the location is at Supply Level 5, the unit will keep replacing to 8, so you will never win !

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/27/2016 7:57:28 PM   
sPzAbt653

So how to reduce those Resource Supply Levels ? Bombardments by Air Units, or Naval units if the Resource is in a Coastal Hex. See in this
screenshot the UK Battleships will Bombard Sidi Barrani and Bardia.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 6
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/27/2016 7:58:28 PM   
sPzAbt653

After the BB's have bombarded those locations, look at the Supply Levels. No Change. Why ? Because Tobruk and Mersa Matruh weren't bombarded and are still at 5.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 7
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/27/2016 7:59:18 PM   
sPzAbt653

Now let's Bombard all four Resources from Tobruk to Mersa Matruh and see what happens.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 8
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/27/2016 8:00:05 PM   
sPzAbt653

After Bombardments from the BB's, notice the Resource Supply Levels.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 9
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/27/2016 8:01:38 PM   
sPzAbt653

Now see the overall Supply Grid [sorry for the sandstorms that brewed up!]. Notice the drop in Supply Levels from the shot in post #7. Correspondingly, all units now have lower Readiness and Morale Levels, and lower maximum levels of Reinforcement. In this particular case, it is only the HQ's that are keeping Supply Levels as high as 6 [and HQ's can be reduced in strength by combat or bombardment, resulting in lower Supply Levels].

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 11/27/2016 8:07:35 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 10
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/27/2016 8:02:36 PM   
sPzAbt653

Items of importance:
Resources will usually repair at a rate of no more than 1 each turn.

Ports also provide supply to land units, but can be reduced by bombardment, and can be blockaded by adjacent naval units.

If 2 land units are adjacent to a Resource, that Resource will decline by 1 each turn [the manual says '4 units', but this is an error].

Similarly, two naval units adjacent to a Port will reduce that Port by 1 per turn.

In a specific case such as Malta, the Ports there need to be blocked AND the Resource of Malta needs to be reduced in order to keep the Malta Garrison from receiving replacements.

Hopefully you now have a complete understanding of how Supply is calculated and how Supply affects units.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 11
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/27/2016 8:08:08 PM   
warspite1

Well I need to re-read that to ensure I have the detail. However that is a very good tutorial for numpties like me so many thanks for taking the time to put that together

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/27/2016 8:14:13 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 12
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/27/2016 8:10:37 PM   
budd

very helpful, thank you.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 13
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/28/2016 2:39:54 AM   
Professor Chaos

According to the game manual, HQs have a Supply Distirbuton value of 8 if their own Supply Value is 1-5.

So why does damagiing the ports reduce the HQ's ability to provide supply?

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 14
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/28/2016 3:42:24 AM   
sPzAbt653

I suppose you are referring to what I have highlighted in red in this screenshot. I wanted to stay away from this layer of complexity for this thread for beginners, but now that you've brought it up, here it:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Professor Chaos)
Post #: 15
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/28/2016 6:51:04 AM   
rickier65

Thanks for the quick tutorial on supply!

Rick

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 16
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/28/2016 10:05:31 AM   
sapper32

Nice job on the supply system I certainly understand it better now

Thanks Ian

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 17
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/28/2016 11:39:13 AM   
Jim D Burns

If you have 2 HQ's 2 hexes apart and both are sitting on a level 5 resource town, How does the engine decide which one gets the 6-10 resource bonus (base hex value of 5 bumped up by the other HQ) and which is treated as just a base resource 5 location?

One will be listed as 5(8) and the other 6(10). How does the engine decide which one gets to be the 10? I ask because in my current game O'Connor is the 10 and Montgomery is the 8.

I would hope the better leader would be higher of the two so you can station him near the front of an HQ chain to advantage line combat units, but O'Connor is the higher of the two even when I put Monty in open terrain as seen in this screenshot and O'Connor is on a resource 5 town, and I can't figure out what the engine looks at to make this decision.

Jim

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 18
RE: Supply for Dummies - 11/28/2016 2:38:52 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Items of importance:
Resources will usually repair at a rate of no more than 1 each turn.

Ports also provide supply to land units, but can be reduced by bombardment, and can be blockaded by adjacent naval units.

If 2 land units are adjacent to a Resource, that Resource will decline by 1 each turn [the manual says '4 units', but this is an error].

Similarly, two naval units adjacent to a Port will reduce that Port by 1 per turn.

In a specific case such as Malta, the Ports there need to be blocked AND the Resource of Malta needs to be reduced in order to keep the Malta Garrison from receiving replacements.

Hopefully you now have a complete understanding of how Supply is calculated and how Supply affects units.

Ya know, I have been playing SCWWI and never understood the supply issues till you just explained it, perhaps it applies to other SC games as well, thank you... Nice job!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 19
RE: Supply for Dummies - 12/12/2016 11:21:48 AM   
marion61

I was looking thru here for the answer to my supply question, and my issue was in N. Africa too. The Afrika Korps had blown thru both my fortifications before El Alemein, and I was having trouble understanding what I was doing wrong. Your pics are exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

I have one other question about supply. If you took those same ships to bombard Benghazi, would it have an impact on all the supply along the road connected to it, all the way to the front? Or would you need to put Benghazi and Tripoli out of supply by bombardment, they both being Secondary Supply, to put N. Africa out of supply?

< Message edited by meklore61 -- 12/12/2016 11:27:28 AM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 20
RE: Supply for Dummies - 12/12/2016 12:30:38 PM   
sPzAbt653

One of the Masters will correct me if I am wrong, but to my current knowledge bombing the closest Supply Resources will have a greater affect than bombing further away. I would think this is especially true in Africa, where the Supply Resources go no higher than 5. So if you bomb Benghazi to 0, Axis units will still be getting 5 from other locations that they are close to.

Another consideration in Africa is the Malta Effect, which will reduce Axis Supply Resources in Africa. But the only way to see this effect as the Allied player is to recon everywhere, which sometimes is not cost effective.

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 21
RE: Supply for Dummies - 12/12/2016 12:46:00 PM   
Jim D Burns

According to this rule:

quote:

Resources not connected to a Key Resource will
have a maximum supply value of 3, or 5 if they
are a Port.

At best you could reduce all connected towns to a default supply level of 3 instead of 5. But the rule about being connected to a key resource does not say whether or not that resource needs to have a positive resource value. In other words does a value 0 key resource still act as a key resource for the being connected rule?

Which brings up another question. Does a blockaded key resource port still act as a key resource for the towns connected to it?

To answer the one or both towns question, yes as long as the road connection is not cut you would need to deal with both key resource towns to affect all of Africa. Assuming of course bombarding them to zero does negate the key resource connection rule.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 12/12/2016 12:55:36 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 22
RE: Supply for Dummies - 12/12/2016 4:39:28 PM   
BillRunacre

Hi Jim

Only urban areas act as Key Resources, so interdicting the port won't reduce the supply distributed by the town/city next to it. It just prevents any units present from receiving supply from the port.

In terms of the other question, reducing the strength of the Key Resource below 5 doesn't reduce the supply of connected resources down to 3, so the actual road connection would need to be cut, e.g. with an amphibious landing or paratroops.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 23
RE: Supply for Dummies - 4/5/2017 7:44:17 PM   
nnason

this is excellent

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Supply for Dummies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI