Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Teleporting Divisions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Teleporting Divisions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Teleporting Divisions - 11/13/2016 9:37:27 PM   
Mike McCreery

I have played this game for years and years and have never seen this happen before.

*DISCLAIMER* All the marijuana I smoke is legal and for pain purposes.... And if this is something stupid I blame it on the weed....

So, I am playing Mr. Kane in a scenario 2 game with PDU on. It is not a stock scenario and Mr. Kane had it specially altered for the purposes of airplane maintenance.

The 3rd USMC division was moving in normal movement mode through the interior of Australia. The dot hex had turned allied a turn or two ago by automatic flip, there was no combat in the hex nor were there any Japanese units nor has there been any combat in the hex.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Wargmr -- 11/13/2016 9:38:14 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/13/2016 9:39:25 PM   
Mike McCreery

So I was checking AV strength and other items the next turn and I was puzzled. Because the entire 3rd division was now hanging out at Hobart.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Wargmr -- 11/13/2016 9:42:03 PM >

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 2
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/13/2016 10:44:39 PM   
Mike McCreery

Mr. Kane and I have re-run the turn multiple times and I have even given different movement orders to the 3rd USMC division to move east but even though it would not have even crossed a hex side in one day it magically shows up in Hobart anyway.

Post #: 3
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/13/2016 11:18:46 PM   
Mike McCreery

At best I would like to know what happened here and be able to fix it. At worst I hope someone on the forum is capable of helping me out and moving the 3rd USMC division to the proper place in my save file if that is possible.

Post #: 4
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 6:45:08 AM   
BBfanboy

I am no expert in this mod stuff, but looking at the Editor I have seen that the "Locations" tab lists all the units that arrive at any given base location and the date of arrival. I would check the DB to see if somehow the 3rd Marine Division was scheduled to arrive at Hobart on that date. Check both the Hobart location entry and the unit entry. (The Division entry is usually a placeholder for the Regiments that merge to create it, so it should not have an "arrival date" nor a location).

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 5
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 10:28:34 AM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I am no expert in this mod stuff, but looking at the Editor I have seen that the "Locations" tab lists all the units that arrive at any given base location and the date of arrival. I would check the DB to see if somehow the 3rd Marine Division was scheduled to arrive at Hobart on that date. Check both the Hobart location entry and the unit entry. (The Division entry is usually a placeholder for the Regiments that merge to create it, so it should not have an "arrival date" nor a location).

I have never even opened the editor. Can you edit a saved game file? Lets pretend I didnt read the manual ;]

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 10:41:29 AM   
Mike McCreery

ok, I found the editor and have looked in the location tab for the unit.

The 3rd USMC division is made up of 3 regiments that all show up at San Diego at different times.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 10:44:05 AM   
Mike McCreery

Each of the regiments have a start delay and are scheduled to start in San Diego

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 10:56:05 AM   
Mike McCreery

Here is the Hobart location

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 4:02:17 PM   
BBfanboy

All looks correct in those three screens - the 3rd Marine Div delay of "0" means it has an indefinite creation date - i.e. whenever you bring together the sub units and create it.

And Hobart is not showing the division arriving there so I would conclude that you have a bug that has nothing to do with the guess I made. Sorry, I can't provide any other ideas.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 10
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 4:42:19 PM   
Lokasenna

This would have nothing to do with unit arrivals.

This is clearly a bug in the movement - for some reason, instead of shifting to the hex they were moving towards, they teleported to Hobart.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 4:45:55 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

This is clearly a bug in the movement - for some reason, instead of shifting to the hex they were moving towards, they teleported to Hobart.

You would think so but here is what we did. Mr. Kane sent the previous turn back to me and I set the 3rd USMC marines to move east. They would have only moved a maximum of 30 inside the hex that next turn so they would not have crossed a hex side. Yet they were still mysteriously transported to Hobart while 2 other divisions and multiple support units arrived where expected.

So I cant see how it would be a movement issue. And we tried 3 different save games so I am thinking it should not be database corruption.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 12
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 4:46:53 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Yeah, but the kicker is that it seemed to happen on a certain date - no matter which direction the unit was marching toward. Some kind of Synch bug issue?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 13
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 4:51:13 PM   
Mike McCreery

BTW, we are moving forward with the game because I am not sure if it is even possible to alter a saved game. I am sure it would be difficult at best.

12 day setback for me but Mr. Kane laid off Australia and didnt crush Sydney and Melbourne so it is still much more in my favor.

I will keep copies of the turn prior and post teleport for someone to take a look and shed further light on this.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 14
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 4:59:02 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

BTW, we are moving forward with the game because I am not sure if it is even possible to alter a saved game. I am sure it would be difficult at best.

12 day setback for me but Mr. Kane laid off Australia and didnt crush Sydney and Melbourne so it is still much more in my favor.

I will keep copies of the turn prior and post teleport for someone to take a look and shed further light on this.

Michael could do it. No idea if he is available to do so.

It does look like a bug to me, so he might want to see a before and after set of save games when he is available.

Post #: 15
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 5:07:08 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

You would think so but here is what we did. Mr. Kane sent the previous turn back to me and I set the 3rd USMC marines to move east. They would have only moved a maximum of 30 inside the hex that next turn so they would not have crossed a hex side. Yet they were still mysteriously transported to Hobart while 2 other divisions and multiple support units arrived where expected.

So I cant see how it would be a movement issue. And we tried 3 different save games so I am thinking it should not be database corruption.

What happens if you repeat this process and don't set any movement? Do they still teleport?

What happens if you don't set their movement for one day, and then do set their movement? Do they still teleport?

Post #: 16
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 5:07:31 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Yeah, but the kicker is that it seemed to happen on a certain date - no matter which direction the unit was marching toward. Some kind of Synch bug issue?

Regardless, unit arrival points should never be impacting the movement of units already on the map.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 5:08:02 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Michael could do it. No idea if he is available to do so.

It does look like a bug to me, so he might want to see a before and after set of save games when he is available.

I haven't seen him active here in quite some time...

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 18
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 5:30:59 PM   
BillBrown

michaelm logged in today

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 19
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 6:10:37 PM   
RichardAckermann

Michael is very busy due to involvement in other projects. He said he would get back to me once he has time to fix things here. I will add this one to the list.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 20
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/14/2016 11:59:38 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: RichardAckermann

Michael is very busy due to involvement in other projects. He said he would get back to me once he has time to fix things here. I will add this one to the list.

We are rapidly moving forward in the game but I have the save files from before and after that turn. Someone can PM me for them when you get a chance. No hurry. I havent seen anything like this happen in my 4 years of game play.

(in reply to RichardAckermann)
Post #: 21
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/15/2016 8:13:24 AM   
RichardAckermann

Keep the saves. I included the names of the persons finding the bugs in my list. So Michael can contact you if he does need the saves.

Post #: 22
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/15/2016 1:14:22 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: RichardAckermann

Keep the saves. I included the names of the persons finding the bugs in my list. So Michael can contact you if he does need the saves.

Cool. Michael also goes through these threads so even if it is much later posting the thread and info here is usually a good source for them.

(in reply to RichardAckermann)
Post #: 23
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/16/2016 4:32:14 AM   
bradfordkay

false alarm

My apologies... I am an idiot. This is what happens when you play in binges with breaks in between. I had planned to have that unit march from Prome to Akyab, but forgot that a few turns ago I had changed my mind and air transported them to Cox's Bazaar because I had excess Transport air squadrons...

< Message edited by bradfordkay -- 11/16/2016 6:47:43 AM >

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 24
RE: Teleporting Divisions - 11/16/2016 7:04:21 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

false alarm

My apologies... I am an idiot. This is what happens when you play in binges with breaks in between. I had planned to have that unit march from Prome to Akyab, but forgot that a few turns ago I had changed my mind and air transported them to Cox's Bazaar because I had excess Transport air squadrons...

That is a Major Brain Fart! I recognize it because I have so many of them!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Teleporting Divisions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI