Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/4/2016 11:31:36 PM   
larryfulkerson

I used a submarine to lay some miines at the harbor of Milne Bay and that mission went so well I thought I'd try to lay some mines
at Port Moresby too. And if that works then I'm thinking of making several such trips to pile on the mines at PM to make traffic
through there hazzardous. Rabaul is out of fuel still so the operational tempo has slowed to a crawl lately. But fuel is approaching.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 121
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/4/2016 11:40:19 PM   
larryfulkerson

The 65th Brigade is still making it's way to Boela by taking turns as to who is at point because they are having to hack their way through
the jungle with machetes and it's slow going. No telling how long it's going to take before arrival. The good news is that they don't seem
to be increasing much in fatigue and disruption. So they may be in good condition when they get there.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 122
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/4/2016 11:51:15 PM   
larryfulkerson

Kendari fell and it's got some damage to the facilities that needs to be repaired before it's going to be much good to me. If I recall
correctly some engineers are already enroute. This is just one of the bases that I'm going to need to stop the naval traffic to Darwin.
If the Allies have an escape route from Sumatra and Java then they will get away. I'm going to try to put a stopper in the bottle before
the genie gets out.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 123
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/5/2016 12:32:03 AM   
larryfulkerson

This image shows the pool levels at specific times and it shows that in the 17 days that have passed the numbers in the pool for a
specific set of aircraft and engines has increased but not for other aircraft and engines. I'll use this image again in about two
weeks game time.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 124
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/6/2016 5:06:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Brian. First set of three moves for today according to Brian. So I've got to sort of rush through my moves to be able
to get three sets of moves done today. This is a picture of the logistical situation at Rabaul and as you can see I'm having a hard time
keeping Rabaul fueled. The operational tempo is higher than I had anticapated and the fuel needs are higher than I've planned for.
At least twice as much fuel needs to go to Rabaul than has been going and there's no AK's at Truk to make a fuel run. So it's going to
be a while before Rabaul gets refueled. D'oh.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 125
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/6/2016 5:42:58 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what the Celebes Sea looks like now. The Allies have largely retreated to Java and Darwin and it appears that the Celebes
Sea is my private lake now. Except for the subs. And I'm grabbing bases and building them up and moving planes into the area and
stocking bases with engineers and some support ships. I've moved an AKE to two T-town and Ambon for rapid turnaround on those
naval bombardment missions. I'm wondering if I can grab all the bases just north of Darwin and stop the Allied naval traffic. It's looking
possible so far.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 126
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/6/2016 6:04:27 PM   
larryfulkerson

Lots of naval traffic around CRB nowadays. Troops moving south from Manila and I've made a landing at Sabang on the northern tip
of Sumatra with another TF headed for Langsa the next city moving south along the east coast. I'm hoping to own the entire east
coast in about a week. Yeah, I'm planning that many landings. And I'm hauling RES out of Bangkok and fuel out of Miri and I'm
staging divisions at Singapore for their next leap whereever it is. I'm trying to find a suitable port on the island of Java and I'm
wondering if he's put mines on the WEST coast of Java. It might behove me to invade there instead of on the east coast. Java isn't
that wide and I might be able to get some air cover to reach all that way. Either that or some carriers might be indicated. And some
surface forces for support during the landings. It might not hurt to make a tour of the island with my ships to flush out any SCTF's he
might have hiding somewhere. Especially on the west coast. But I'm sort of in a hurry and so maybe the landings should take place
simultaneously with a tour around the island. That might work.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 127
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/6/2016 6:24:36 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a study of Java I threw together just now. I'm looking around for the best ports to invade. Soerbaja has a garrison penalty and
so does Batavia but there are ports on the west coast that are looking good. There's still the lack of air power however. I'm wondering
how difficult it would be to push over the defenders of Christmas island IO so I could base some planes there and if it would help at all.
I'll keep you in the loop.

Oh hey, I just now got Brian's second set of moves for the day. It's 12:24 local tucson time.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 128
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/6/2016 7:57:01 PM   
larryfulkerson

Um.......I started to put together a picture to point out to me where everybody was so I could plan better and I put the yellow lines to
where the carriers are and then started putting the places where the BB's were in green and it didn't work really well. The lines sort
of faded into the picture and were hardly visible. And besides, it started to look busy.

I was planning a tour down the east coast of Australia and that's why three of my CV's are grouped together near Rabaul. But then
Rabaul ran out of fuel. So the tour is on hold. The two carriers near Tarawa are there to protect the AK's grabbing RES out of
Nauru and Ocean Island. One of Brian's favorite tricks is to ambush my TF's near those two islands. As happened earlier in this
game.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 129
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/6/2016 8:11:58 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a bird's-eye view of my pilot reserve. As you can see I've got 484 pilots and some of them are of
pretty high quallity. I need to get them into an airplane because some of them look like they are ready
for combat. Anyway, it's good news.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/6/2016 8:24:30 PM >

Post #: 130
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/8/2016 12:39:10 AM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Brian, and as you can see from the image that there's a lot of stuff at Singapore that needs to be moved yet. I've
been moving stuff out of Manila and they aren't through with Manila yet and I hate to recruit some of my RES runners but it looks like
I'm going to have to skim off some of the troop-mover-ish AK's and get them busy on Singapore.

I'm especially glad to see the group of Engineers there because there's a million places I can put them right now. Well, maybe half of
that.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 131
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/8/2016 1:04:56 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a little situation that cropped up. I scheduled some INF and some ARTY to move into the enemy hex so I could aggravate them
and one element of the arty arrived by itself in the enemy hex without anybody else. The INF moved 45 of the 46 miles required and
that's not good enough to make it all the way into the enemy hex. D'oh. I've since got the arty element moving back to base and the
entire arty party is going to rest at base until the INF is really in the enemy hex and THEN move in. I'll have to remember this episode.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 132
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/8/2016 1:01:47 PM   
ny59giants_MatrixForum

Manado - I land troops, very small LCU, at dot base to SW to prevent retreat from Manado. File this tidbit of info away for your next game.

Singapore - Combine the elements of the 2, 5, 18, and 56 Divisions here before you go anywhere!!

Post #: 133
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/8/2016 1:22:58 PM   
Andav

quote:

I've since got the arty element moving back to base and the entire arty party is going to rest at base until the INF is really in the enemy hex and THEN move in.

If the infantry is at 45 of 46, they will arrive the following day before combat. Switch them to Combat mode and if Brian tries to attack, he will get a rather nasty surprise. Just leave the arty in place.

You can set LCUs to Follow another one. I have used this to control the arrival of units into a hex. Nothing worse then your armor (or Arty in this case) out running your infantry and getting squished. This helps with river crossings. The lead unit tends to get trashed so pick one which is more expendable then others.

Wa

(in reply to ny59giants_MatrixForum)
Post #: 134
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/8/2016 1:25:39 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
Manado - I land troops, very small LCU, at dot base to SW to prevent retreat from Manado. File this tidbit of info away for your next game.

How come I never thought of that? Good catch dude. Thanks for the insight.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
Singapore - Combine the elements of the 2, 5, 18, and 56 Divisions here before you go anywhere!!

I think so too. It's a whole lot easier to just handle the "A", "B", and "C" parts of a division instead of the separate regiments.
And you can still use fragments of the division itself for special missions, like the one in the first quote above. Thanks for
caring enough to catch things like this.

Post #: 135
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/8/2016 1:29:37 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andav
If the infantry is at 45 of 46, they will arrive the following day before combat. Switch them to Combat mode and if Brian tries to attack, he will get a rather nasty surprise. Just leave the arty in place.

You can set LCUs to Follow another one. I have used this to control the arrival of units into a hex. Nothing worse then your armor (or Arty in this case) out running your infantry and getting squished. This helps with river crossings. The lead unit tends to get trashed so pick one which is more expendable then others.

Wa

Hey there Wa dude. Great advice as usual. Thank you. These are the kinds of things I forget to do. I would switch the infantry to
combat mode like you suggested but I've already sent my moves to Brian. Which reminds me, I'm expecting some moves from him any
minute now, now being Thursday morning Dec 8 about 07:29 Tucson time.

EDIT:: I notice that the timestamp on my post is two hours earlier than the Tucson time so the server must live in California somewhere.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/8/2016 1:30:56 PM >

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 136
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/8/2016 2:31:30 PM   
ny59giants_MatrixForum

I just destroyed 5 Aussie brigades at Perth due to taking control of ALL the hexsides and preventing a retreat vs Brian. I just moved a tank rgt in and out of Perth until I had all the hexsides (hit F6 and the "W" to see who control a hexside).

EDIT - Don't forget to ALWAYS double check your leaders when you combine elements, divide divisions, and after an invasion.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 12/8/2016 2:54:27 PM >

Post #: 137
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/9/2016 6:32:17 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

EDIT - Don't forget to ALWAYS double check your leaders when you combine elements, divide divisions, and after an invasion.

Great advice. I have been completely overlooking this. Thanks for the heads up.

According to the air losses display I've been losing a lot of Zero's, Nell's, and Betty's and I don't have any Betty's in the pool again.
So obviously I need to boost the Betty output a lot. And the Nell's and maybe a smallish boost to the Zero's again. I'm aiming for
510 Zero's in the pool to take advantage of the engine bonus.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 138
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/9/2016 6:37:10 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's me boosting the Betty output by quite a bit. I even converted one of the Lily factories to make Betty's. We should see some
Betty's in the pool in about a week or so. LOL.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 139
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/9/2016 6:48:29 PM   
larryfulkerson

This image shows that in the interval of just one week or so I've lost ground in the pools in that the levels are sinking still. I'm going to
have to boost almost every type to stay even. I'd like to see some healthy levels in the pools and so I'll take a look around and see
what planes I can do without and convert some factories etc.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 140
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/9/2016 6:59:23 PM   
larryfulkerson

I discovered just now quite by accident, that when you change a factory from building Nates, say, to something in the future the factory
changes from the 'air' category to 'rd air' instead. And vice versa. So I'm thinking that maybe I should sacrifice some of the really late
model planes and engines to planes and engines I need right now. Anybody got a gripe about that?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 141
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/9/2016 7:51:08 PM   
Andav

quote:

I'm aiming for 510 Zero's in the pool to take advantage of the engine bonus.

You misunderstand. You need 500 of the Engine the plane uses in the pool to get a bonus for R&D. For example, the A6M5 uses the Nakajima Ha-35 engine. You need to build 500 of these engines in order to receive the bonus for research on ANY plane which uses that engine.

What to build when is something that takes a lot of thought. If you build lines of planes which upgrade to each other Zero line for example, when the next version of the plane comes on line, those factories can switch without repairing. If you switch to another plane model, George for example, you have to rebuild the factory (read this a use supplies).

There are some very good guides for plane research depending on if you are PDU Off or On.

Maybe this thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3329605

Mike Soli has a TON of good info on production in this AAR. Skim to page 6 or so then he talks a lot about plane production: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2959613

Wa

Post #: 142
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/9/2016 9:59:38 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andav
quote:

I'm aiming for 510 Zero's in the pool to take advantage of the engine bonus.

You misunderstand. You need 500 of the Engine the plane uses in the pool to get a bonus for R&D. For example, the A6M5 uses the Nakajima Ha-35 engine. You need to build 500 of these engines in order to receive the bonus for research on ANY plane which uses that engine.

What to build when is something that takes a lot of thought. If you build lines of planes which upgrade to each other Zero line for example, when the next version of the plane comes on line, those factories can switch without repairing. If you switch to another plane model, George for example, you have to rebuild the factory (read this a use supplies).

There are some very good guides for plane research depending on if you are PDU Off or On.

Maybe this thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3329605

Mike Soli has a TON of good info on production in this AAR. Skim to page 6 or so then he talks a lot about plane production: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2959613

Wa

Hey there Wa dude. Thanks for setting me straight on the Zero's and their engines. I don't know what I was thinking. You have
some really great links for me to peruse too, thanks. I'll do it. I've got my learning hat on.

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 143
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/10/2016 9:16:51 PM   
larryfulkerson

Cagayen has proved to be a thorn in my side in that the defenders are more numerous than my invaders except that the 33rd Division
has arrived in the hex and I'm finally ready to start the DA's. I've finally got the pieces moved from Manila and put them back
together and maybe soon Cagayen will be mine. I'm in the process of taking over most of the ports in the Celebes area. The plan is
to grab ports down to just north of Darwin to close off the Allied naval traffic to and fro.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 144
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/10/2016 9:29:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

I had some armour and AA units that died in Java a couple of weeks ago due to an invasion that took place way way too early. But
on the destroyed units list they still aren't showing a cost to buy them back. I've been watching this and I'm starting to wonder if it's
not going to happen for these units. Are there some units that can't be bought back? Appearantly.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 145
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/10/2016 10:24:07 PM   
nikoslejeune

To buy those units back you have to click em (Unit name) first, the tekst will change from "Not defined" to the amount of Political points
needed. If Units cant be bought back it will say so at that column as "cant recall ".
So they added a step in between, click and click some more^^, this game is one big Click-fest

Omce that number appears you can mouse over the unit name to get follow up instructions.

Have a good day Fulker-San

< Message edited by nikoslejeune -- 12/10/2016 10:34:14 PM >

Post #: 146
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/11/2016 1:50:31 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: nikoslejeune
To buy those units back you have to click em (Unit name) first, the tekst will change from "Not defined" to the amount of Political points
needed. If Units cant be bought back it will say so at that column as "cant recall ".
So they added a step in between, click and click some more^^, this game is one big Click-fest

Once that number appears you can mouse over the unit name to get follow up instructions.

Have a good day Fulker-San

You're absolutely right. But the new player doesn't know that and it's not written down somewhere. The next time I look at that display
I'll probably not remember I need to click on 'em first. I need to write that down somewhere. Thanks.

(in reply to nikoslejeune)
Post #: 147
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/11/2016 1:53:52 AM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Brian.......I landed in force at Ndeni. There's nothing there, no port, no airfield and worst of all I didn't bring any
engineers to build stuff. I'll have to make a second trip for that. There's no fuel there and what supplies are there are those I'm
unloading. This should be enough for about 5K in supplies. Obviously Ndeni is going to need more than that. So there's a
third trip to be made for that. I may as well establish a new sub base here as well. When it gets built up substantially.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 148
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/11/2016 2:06:06 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm moving units to bases and grabbing the empty ones and then I run into some tough ones. Like Boela. There's like 22K Allies
defending and I've got something like 3.7K for attackers. Obviously I'm going to need to move some larger units there to help out.
I've moved some Zero's into the area for top cover but they don't seem to want to fly all the way down to Ambon for some LRCAP.
I'm actually going to need to move a carrier group in there for air cover while the airfield builds.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 149
RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 - 12/11/2016 2:13:25 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm moving people from Singapore to the east coast of Sumatra with a plan to invade on the west coast as well. Plenty of troops at
Singapore and lots of shipping present. Should work out okie dokie.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI