From: Houston, TX - USA
Weather forecast Mud
VP = 113 -1 (Nowy Sach falls to combat)
Trucks = 122 / 163 better than I hoped.
AP usage = disbanded another 5 corps/divisions this turn. minimal reorganization
Units destroyed = none but 18 more German divisions pocketed
AFV Losses = 287G / 560S - keeping about average, Will update pools / show they are low
AIR Losses = 562G / 1217 ME 262's SHRED Russian air formations - new tactics tried
German tactics evolve. Axis deploys the Warsaw Armor Shield defense using the Windy Vistula river to great advantage. Germany also unleashes ME262 in mass air combat, wreaking havoc in Red air formations and sending the Red air force reeling looking for new tactics. Necessarily, the German tactical decisions left opportunities to exploit weaker zones through the broad front doctrine, which was used to satisfactory effect.
1. In the southernmost theater, Axis begin to abandon westernmost Romania and the Transylvania & Bishop mountains in order to consolidate their MLR and offer the longest life to Hungary troops.
2. On the eastern plains of Hungary, 2 Russian armor and 2 Russian guard infantry armies fight several pitched battles and cross the Berettyo river driving NW before turning due W and beginning the long drive to Budapest. Red troops elect to bypass Nyireghasa 30 miles to the north. German armor presence is token here; so progress should be good in knocking out Hungary
3. North of the North Carpathian mountains in the vicinity of Krakow and the west bend of the Vistula, Russian massed infantry formations with artillery but no armor and attacked due west to steady effect. German infantry unsupported by armor could not sustain the repeated attacks and gave way under that pressure. Nowwy Sach fell and Krakow is in sights
4. For about 200 miles north-south of Warsaw, the Germans deployed a strongly held and well positioned armor shield with infantry support. red forces in strength tried to pry open the southern reaches of this defense and were unsuccessful except at heavy and slow cost. After a period of study, it became clear that there was no easy way through this well setup defense. A few other test attacks were made all with the same bloody and unsuccessful results; as a result, Stalin decided to park the large southern armored force that was intended to get around the Warsaw armor shield to the south, placing it on rails for short refit during next turn's mud. No further attempts were made to attack the shield, but artillery was brought up should a siege be needed.
5. After a period of several hours of intense study to include waves of air recon, I decided that there was a window of opportunity to crack the enemy MLR north of the Warsaw armor shield and south of the Bay of Danzig, perhaps 50 miles from the coast. The opportunity as I saw it was to use guard infantry armies to attack strong infantry positions north and slightly NW of the northern end of the Warsaw armor shield to get to lighter held areas. From there the northern armor force with drive NW to Danzig and pocket some divisions (not west to Berlin). This was successful, but I overextended my supply line in the process. I decided it was worth the gain. Probably the most sophisticated attack I have made in the game. The owner of many stupid mistakes this game, Id like to believe that this indicates that I can begin to think more broadly about how to use troops. Certainly a journey, but good to start it.
6. A note on the emergence of mass ME262s. I will post separately on this element. Suffice to say that airframe can be unbeatable in certain types of combats, and the mere presence of a 262 squadron in a large air battle will spell doom, or has over the last several turns.
< Message edited by topeverest -- 3/21/2020 11:17:17 PM >