Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fighters RTBing with plenty of fuel and ammo left?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> Fighters RTBing with plenty of fuel and ammo left? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fighters RTBing with plenty of fuel and ammo left? - 11/8/2016 10:16:01 AM   
Gneckes

See attached screenshot- the group of Phantoms expended its Sparrows, then went and RTB'd to the CV, despite having plenty of Sidewinders and Fuel left.

Also, I noticed that fighters with SARH-guided AAMs have an annoying tendency to turn away from their targets while missiles are still in flight, causing those missiles to self-destruct. What settings in Doctrine, WRA or such do I need to change to prevent that?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gneckes -- 11/8/2016 10:17:13 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Fighters RTBing with plenty of fuel and ammo left? - 11/8/2016 11:43:41 AM   
Bert Blitzkrieg

Yesterday viewed one of the many Youtube films by Baloogan where he discussed this. Reason for RTB are the "Winchester" settings. The Sparrow obviously is the main weapon of the Phantom and when the main weapon is expended the plane is Winchester and returns to base.

(in reply to Gneckes)
Post #: 2
RE: Fighters RTBing with plenty of fuel and ammo left? - 11/8/2016 11:51:52 AM   
Gneckes

And what would be the recommended Weapon State RTB setting?

Actually, I'll just see if I can find Baloogan's video about this.

(in reply to Bert Blitzkrieg)
Post #: 3
RE: Fighters RTBing with plenty of fuel and ammo left? - 11/8/2016 1:43:26 PM   
thewood1

Its also very mission and scenario-dependent. I'll give my little talk again on the first things to do before hitting start...

1) review all ROE settings and make sure the align with your overall plan from the briefing
2) Check all WRA settings to make sure you aren't wasting important and scarce ammo
3) Set overall Withdrawal settings
4) Check all missions and adjust ROE, EMCOM, WRA, and withdrawal settings
5) Start building missions

Anyone who just drops into a scenario and hits play, gets what they deserve.

Getting back to your question...the withdrawal settings are very dependent on what you think you will be encountering as enemy units. You don't want to waste F-15s with only sidewinders against SU-27s with LR AAMs all the time. But there might be times you are a little more desperate.

(in reply to Gneckes)
Post #: 4
RE: Fighters RTBing with plenty of fuel and ammo left? - 11/8/2016 1:46:11 PM   
Gneckes

... or the opposition is a little less formidable.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
RE: Fighters RTBing with plenty of fuel and ammo left? - 11/8/2016 6:54:22 PM   
Cik

there are several shotgun settings that RTB after one engagement.

there are a few reasons why you would do that, to utilize fast turnaround, to minimize exposure to enemy ambush, in case of very unreliable BVR weapons (fire 8 missiles to win engagement, have two left, not enough to win second engagement, RTB)

often the "loadout setting" of even pretty high-tech fighters will be shotgun 1 engagement. change the WRA of that mission to shotgun:RTB after all weapons expended

you can use winchester, but often that leads to losing fighters in an engagement that you otherwise wouldn't have lost; closing to heater range through a maze of radar missiles has a high probability of failure, go figure.

(in reply to Gneckes)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> Fighters RTBing with plenty of fuel and ammo left? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI