Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Experts shocked-airdrops hit and destroy trucks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Experts shocked-airdrops hit and destroy trucks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Experts shocked-airdrops hit and destroy trucks - 10/29/2016 1:50:13 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

Tonight I have run some tests regarding airdrops. I wondered whether the MP reduction for the receiving unit will lead to truck attrition through unit movement (which is dependant on the MP left at the end of the turn). Et voila, tests showed that this is the case (I can share the saves if you are interested). Obviously the airdropped supply dumps hit the trucks and destroy them

In my small scale test, this killed 70 trucks+increased number of damaged ones. If you use airdrops on large scale on truck heavy units in the German 1941 and 1942 summer attack this might sum up to an estimated 2500-5000 destroyed trucks-quite a lot.

You can argue that the truck losses were a result of the MP cost to the staging airbase. But this is not the case because I only used the 2-4 planes Stab airgroups for my tests, therefore the Airbase MP only dropped to 49, while the receiving unit MPs dropped much more.

If there is an easy way to fix this, it should be done in my opinion.

Post #: 1
RE: Experts shocked-airdrops hit and destroy trucks - 10/29/2016 2:38:50 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

My estimation of truck losses might be a bit to high depending on your dropping tactics. If you always focus on a few divisions and drop stuff to them when they have 0MP anyway it wont change much. But 1000-2000 trucks lost are still a lot.

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 2
RE: Experts shocked-airdrops hit and destroy trucks - 10/29/2016 8:07:53 PM   
morvael

I wouldn't worry about this much. You save on trucks lost during logistics phase (less to ask for if unit is supplied from air), and there are no grave shortages of Axis vehicles as the game stands now.
Of course your observation is correct, that's the downside of MP - when they represent both the time spent & distance moved. These should be two separate factors. It was very important to make those tweaks to air supply though, to prevent its abuse, which was very common.

Post #: 3
RE: Experts shocked-airdrops hit and destroy trucks - 10/29/2016 10:37:50 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Yes, movement points should be separated from the number of hexagons travelled (WITE 2?).
The problem looks a bit smaller now than late last night

The MP reduction makes sense-getting everything refueled can't be done while running full speed for the whole week.
The way this destroyed trucks just interfered with my wish to have a real life explanation for all game mechanics...

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 4
RE: Experts shocked-airdrops hit and destroy trucks - 10/29/2016 10:59:14 PM   
Stelteck

The air supply drop was scattered by wind upon rough terrain and minefields where many trucks were lost trying to retrieve it

< Message edited by Stelteck -- 10/29/2016 11:00:06 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Experts shocked-airdrops hit and destroy trucks - 10/30/2016 11:14:47 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Good theory Stelteck.
An investigation showed, that this was the case for about 30 of the 70 destroyed trucks.
40 more were lost because the Luftwaffe by mistake delivered french liquor and whine for Goerings private collection to the troops, as a result the truck attrition reached completely new levels because of drunken drivers.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Experts shocked-airdrops hit and destroy trucks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI