Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dear Sirs: Your Devteam Is Quite Literally Magical

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Dear Sirs: Your Devteam Is Quite Literally Magical Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dear Sirs: Your Devteam Is Quite Literally Magical - 10/5/2016 10:58:36 PM   
Demetrious

So I was playing around pitting the THAAD system against the DF-26 "Guam Killer" to see if Guam's new defenses would actually hold up and while I watched the engagement I noticed something funny. It was making 22 knots. And it was aiming sideways to its launch direction. What was this? A bug? An oversight?

And then I realized, with a sudden start, where I'd seen this before - a picture on Wikipedia showing a THAAD missile performing a tight spiral maneuver to manage its energy.

This code didn't exist before. And it didn't need to exist. You didn't need to code in the heading change and such to simulate the various lofted profiles the missile flies; you could've given it some automagical ability to deaccelerate or even let it fly a pure pursuit path towards missiles, knowing that the base PK is the base PK and it'd give reasonably accurate practical results anyway. But you didn't. One of you fantastic lunatics sat your rear end down in a chair and hammered away at coding in this neato behavior for a weapon that - as five seconds of perusal could have told you - is not a frequently used unit by The Community, judging by how few scenarios actually utilize ballistic missiles at all, much less ones aimed at land.

You had every reason and good excuse to half-ass this one and you didn't. Because it's a lot of effort for something few people will notice or care about anyways.

DEAR MR. DEV CODER PERSONS: I NOTICED
Post #: 1
RE: Dear Sirs: Your Devteam Is Quite Literally Magical - 10/5/2016 11:29:06 PM   
Rory Noonan

The more I play this game the more you notice little details like that and realise it's truly a work of passion. I'm still constantly finding new depth. The team behind this game have don and continue to do an amazing job.

(in reply to Demetrious)
Post #: 2
RE: Dear Sirs: Your Devteam Is Quite Literally Magical - 10/5/2016 11:41:02 PM   
thewood1

Not to take anything away from the magic...there were some long, teeth-gnashing discussions about anti-ballistic missile systems a couple years ago on these here boards. I suspect that had some influence on a lot of missile code.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 3
RE: Dear Sirs: Your Devteam Is Quite Literally Magical - 10/6/2016 12:14:55 AM   
Rory Noonan

Are the threads still around? I've noticed that the board seems to get rid of anything past a certain age.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 4
RE: Dear Sirs: Your Devteam Is Quite Literally Magical - 10/6/2016 12:54:19 AM   
thewood1

I can search all the way back to 2013 at least. So I amssume they are around. There were a few of them scattered around. I remember one thread was specifically about maneuverability of missiles.

Post #: 5
RE: Dear Sirs: Your Devteam Is Quite Literally Magical - 10/6/2016 12:56:48 AM   
thewood1

For example...I typed in missiles for a search and this is the oldest result...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3437546&mpage=1&key=missiles�

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 6
RE: Dear Sirs: Your Devteam Is Quite Literally Magical - 10/6/2016 1:13:37 AM   
Rory Noonan

Thanks, I searched ballistic missiles and must have narrowed too much.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 7
RE: Dear Sirs: Your Devteam Is Quite Literally Magical - 10/6/2016 1:22:43 AM   
thewood1

I just remember a couple discussions about Israel's system and one about hitting the DF-21.

edit...I think there was discussion on general missile maneuverability a couple weeks ago.

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 10/6/2016 1:23:45 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: Dear Sirs: Your Devteam Is Quite Literally Magical - 10/6/2016 11:55:04 AM   
mikmykWS

Yeah we get lots of great help from the community. Sometimes our favorite trolls end up helping more than harming. We appreciate all!

Mike

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 9
RE: Dear Sirs: Your Devteam Is Quite Literally Magical - 10/6/2016 1:42:36 PM   
Dysta

At first I was so confused, why THAAD wasn't garner as much attention as S-400. Today this topic proved me wrong.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 10
RE: Dear Sirs: Your Devteam Is Quite Literally Magical - 10/8/2016 1:26:21 AM   
DrRansom

For the THAAD launch maneuver, I thought that was just to keep the missile within the New Mexico testing range. It was a temporary measure for that stage of testing.

Now, the missile just flies out to the target.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Dear Sirs: Your Devteam Is Quite Literally Magical Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI