Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Level 1 or 2 Ports Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Level 1 or 2 Ports Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Level 1 or 2 Ports Question - 10/3/2016 11:58:05 PM   
Rusty1961

I was under the impression that level 1 or 2 ports afforded almost no concealment for ships "docked" there.

Yet, they seem to be invulnerable to sub attacks and air attacks...

1. I get routine Coast Watcher reports about the locations of ships at port in the Solomon Islands and such.

2. I once sent 6 subs to these reported ships at the small ports-"Operations Tiny". No attacks were conducted over a few turns.

3. Air attacks almost never work.

Ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Level 1 or 2 Ports Question - 10/4/2016 12:06:10 AM   
BBfanboy

I think it is level 0 and level 1 that allow attacks on docked/anchored shipping.

Sub attacks can take weeks to develop because the ships in port are in shallow water and in abstraction could be behind an island or reef. I had two subs stalk BB Nagato as it was anchored in a small port for at least two weeks (the AI isn't very wise about these things). One of the subs finally got a shot at her and one of the hits even exploded. After that Nagato raised anchor and sailed into the sub trap I had all around her path home. Boom-Boom, Glug-Glug.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 2
RE: Level 1 or 2 Ports Question - 10/4/2016 12:32:39 AM   
jmalter

hi Rusty,
IMO, Coast Watcher reports are almost always unreliable. Use Recon plane missions to raise the Detection Level on enemy bases, use NavSearch missions to find enemy ships at sea (but don't put a lot of credence to the ship-types that are reported).
When sending subs to a suspect location, use Patrol Zone mission (even if only a 1-hex zone) with a Reaction of 1, do not use Remain on Station.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Level 1 or 2 Ports Question - 10/4/2016 3:41:17 AM   
crsutton

Yep, In ten years of play I have yet to see an accurate coast watcher report. They are one of the most annoying and useless aspects of the game.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 4
RE: Level 1 or 2 Ports Question - 10/4/2016 4:20:02 AM   
Rusty1961

Thanks! I figured the coast watcher reports were wrong.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5
RE: Level 1 or 2 Ports Question - 10/4/2016 11:34:57 AM   
LeeChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Yep, In ten years of play I have yet to see an accurate coast watcher report. They are one of the most annoying and useless aspects of the game.

I don't even look at them anymore.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6
RE: Level 1 or 2 Ports Question - 10/4/2016 12:13:10 PM   
HansBolter

Level 3 is supposed to be the level that a port provides protection for disbanded ships from submarine attack.

I have never seen a submarine succeed in an attack on a ship disbanded into port unless that submarine is a midget and then the level 3 port does no good.

Recently a midget sub infiltrated Trincomalee and hit a British CM that was effecting repairs pierside. Trincomalee was a level 5 port at the time.

Hans

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 7
RE: Level 1 or 2 Ports Question - 10/4/2016 3:16:29 PM   
dr.hal

I agree with the coast watcher comments, which is sad, as the real ones did some very good service (to put it mildly). I'm at the stage now where I simply ignore all of those reports.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 8
RE: Level 1 or 2 Ports Question - 10/4/2016 3:20:22 PM   
dr.hal

Hans, I think the midgets get a special rule, remember that they are around Pearl on the 7th and can penetrate that harbor (albeit only on rare occasions). So I can see why in Trincomalee (or Colombo for that matter).

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 9
RE: Level 1 or 2 Ports Question - 10/4/2016 4:12:20 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Level 3 is supposed to be the level that a port provides protection for disbanded ships from submarine attack.

I have never seen a submarine succeed in an attack on a ship disbanded into port unless that submarine is a midget and then the level 3 port does no good.

Recently a midget sub infiltrated Trincomalee and hit a British CM that was effecting repairs pierside. Trincomalee was a level 5 port at the time.

Right you are Hans. From the manual:

Ships that are docked expend no Endurance unless they are attacked. Ships at a friendly port
with a current size of at least 3 may exist in the port separate of a TF in which case they will
maximize their repair capability at the expense of additional vulnerability to enemy attacks (this
is considered being at anchor). Ships docked or at anchor at a port with a current size of at
least 3 are immune to enemy submarine attacks.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 10
RE: Level 1 or 2 Ports Question - 10/4/2016 5:53:05 PM   
szmike

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Ships at a friendly port
with a current size of at least 3 may exist in the port separate of a TF in which case they will
maximize their repair capability at the expense of additional vulnerability to enemy attacks (this
is considered being at anchor).

This sentence is leftover from WitP where you couldn't disband at port <3

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Level 1 or 2 Ports Question - 10/4/2016 9:29:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: szmike

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Ships at a friendly port
is considered being at anchor).

This sentence is leftover from WitP where you couldn't disband at port <3

Thanks for the clarification - I thought the sentence strange but I have been wrong on these details before and I knew someone who still had gray cells would clarify it!

(in reply to szmike)
Post #: 12
RE: Level 1 or 2 Ports Question - 10/5/2016 3:50:32 PM   
Ostwindflak

That is too bad about the Coast Watcher reports in game. I concur with dr.hal, everything I have read about the Coast Watchers (especially during the Guadalcanal campaign) was that they provided excellent and timely information about enemy troop movements, air raids and number of planes in said raids, and ship movements.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Level 1 or 2 Ports Question - 10/5/2016 4:46:13 PM   
BBfanboy

In game, I only respond to Coastwatcher info if it gives a ship name in the report. The coastwatcher may have got the name or class of ship wrong but is likely right about the type (DD, CA, etc.). Even with that assumption, the enemy will likely be gone before I can get naval forces there so unless I can attack by air I just consider it a little piece of intel.

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Level 1 or 2 Ports Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI