Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sprint/Spartan missile data

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Sprint/Spartan missile data Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sprint/Spartan missile data - 10/3/2016 12:04:20 PM   
Demetrious

I was fooling around trying to make a late 70s nuclear war scenario when I noticed that the Sprint missile (of the Safeguard SAM facility,) seems to be under-performing. The "target speed" field is "0-1150 kt" which is problematic for a weapon designed specifically to engage RVs in terminal phase. Climb rate is 500 meters/second, whereas the Sprint missile was a bit more zippy (Wikipedia gives the weapon's speed as 3,404 meters per second) and the maximum speed as 2300 knots (where it should be around 6,600 knots.) Incidentally these numbers are identical to the LIM-49 Spartan, which was a rather different missile in its capabilities (a Nike Zeus beefed up for terminal ABM intercept.)

If someone could update the database entry for the Sprint I'd love you forever; I really want to try the recent ABM updates in conjunction with a nuclear interceptor warhead!

EDIT: Consider tweaking the max target altitude too; (according to Wikipedia) the Sprint tops out around 100,000 feet altitude and the Spartan can engage up to a whopping 560km altitude (hence the dual-layer nature of the Safeguard system.) I'd hunt down better sources but the devs probably have better sources to hand than anything I could turn up on Google.

< Message edited by Demetrious -- 10/3/2016 12:13:26 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sprint/Spartan missile data - 10/3/2016 4:31:07 PM   
.Sirius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Demetrious

I was fooling around trying to make a late 70s nuclear war scenario when I noticed that the Sprint missile (of the Safeguard SAM facility,) seems to be under-performing. The "target speed" field is "0-1150 kt" which is problematic for a weapon designed specifically to engage RVs in terminal phase. Climb rate is 500 meters/second, whereas the Sprint missile was a bit more zippy (Wikipedia gives the weapon's speed as 3,404 meters per second) and the maximum speed as 2300 knots (where it should be around 6,600 knots.) Incidentally these numbers are identical to the LIM-49 Spartan, which was a rather different missile in its capabilities (a Nike Zeus beefed up for terminal ABM intercept.)

If someone could update the database entry for the Sprint I'd love you forever; I really want to try the recent ABM updates in conjunction with a nuclear interceptor warhead!

EDIT: Consider tweaking the max target altitude too; (according to Wikipedia) the Sprint tops out around 100,000 feet altitude and the Spartan can engage up to a whopping 560km altitude (hence the dual-layer nature of the Safeguard system.) I'd hunt down better sources but the devs probably have better sources to hand than anything I could turn up on Google.

All noted thanks :)

Paul aka Sirius
Command Developer
Warfaresims
Cold War Data Base 1946-1979 Author

Old radar men never die - Their echoes fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law

(in reply to Demetrious)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Sprint/Spartan missile data Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI