Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thanks, Forum and Forumites

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Thanks, Forum and Forumites Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 3:03:05 AM   
Canoerebel

A few days ago, I was giving thought to the quality, friendliness and decorum of the Forum community. I got sidetracked and didn’t post my thoughts that morning. I came to wish I had. That post would have been timely given what transpired in another thread later that day.

This forum is unique in my experience. I have belonged to forums devoted to hiking, bird-watching, botany, canoeing and other activities. These are communities I have strong senses of identity with. And, yet, over the years I have frequently been dismayed by the lack of civility (snarkiness being a good word) by so many regulars on those forums.

In some ways, the WitP:AE forum is a much more diverse group – especially in terms of national origin. With the language barriers and background differences, I wouldn’t expect the community to remain so decorous. I’d expect squabbles to erupt from time to time based upon political or military policy differences, language barriers, and societal differences in how we address one another and how to disagree with civility.

Somehow, this forum self-polices (usually before the Moderator has to step in). Almost always, forumites avoid or back down from political or religious topics. Somehow, a forum filled with men who have served in the armed services seldom if ever uses profanity (most members don’t mind profanity, but it is offensive to some of us). Somehow, vulgarity and lewdness are essentially absent. That’s even remarkable when you consider that most of us are obviously men who find lovely women lovely.

The collective knowledge of this Forum is remarkable. You can find credible information on so many topics. And because so many of us have known each other for so long, there is a reliability to opinions expressed and analysis given that seems quite wonderful to me. I don’t know a lot of you, but I know enough of you that I can ask (and sometimes have asked) questions about things unrelated to warfare. And from time to time I’ve had military questions for stories I’ve been working on, and gotten incredibly helpful information from the Forum. (A for instance: two years ago I needed help reading U.S. Marine casualty and fitness reports for a marine killed at Iwo Jima and got in-depth, insightful feedback in a few minutes that might’ve taken hours of days of research. And I knew that information was informed.)

Without the benefit of meeting a single Forumite or any of you having character references, you would be “go to” resources if I got marooned in your city or your country. All my money stolen in Aurora, Colorado? Call John III (for help, not because he’s a suspect). Need a tour guide in Italy? Greyjoy. Forget how to speak good English in England? Obvert. Wish to understand what kind of prairie woman would marry an ex nuke who tries to write novels? Bullwinkle. And on, and on, and on. The Forum is filled with quality people from all over the globe.

Some detractors will say that a post like this tickles ears and fosters nothing but a “mutual admiration society.” They’d be wrong. I can’t think of a Forumite that needs or wants their egos stoked. These are men (and an occasional woman) secure in who they are, what they know, and what they stand for.

I left AE three years ago today, indefinitely and, as far as I knew, permanently. I was gone for 2.25 years, but I never left the forum during that long sabbatical. Apart from the fun AARs, occasional humor, the mysteries of Geofflambert’s schtick, and the occasional annoyances, I couldn’t imagine not being a part of this great community.

Thanks, gents, for making this Forum what it is. A very fine community of good men (and the occasional woman).

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/10/2016 3:04:06 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 3:28:39 AM   
btd64

Couldn't of said it better myself.

After my last post in THAT thread, I was a little pissed. But then realized the OP didn't know US, the AE forum community. So he lost, not US. I do wonder how many of US there are here. Tried a role call thread a few years back to try and get an idea, but that didn't work well do to the comics here. I will try again, but remember my friends, ONLY ONE POST PER PERSON....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 4:08:30 AM   
rogueusmc

I agree with the OP...even if he is from Northern Georgia. If he was from southern Georgia, it might be different but I doubt it...lol

I wandered away a few years back but I do enjoy getting the new thread notifications and I lurk occasionally. When that other thread started, it brought me out of my hole. This forum is one of the two best that I have ever associated with. The other one has a similar atmosphere even if it is a different demographic and subject matter. I took exception to the denizens of this particular forum being attacked. It just doesn't sit well with me when I see people I regard as friends getting the short end of the stick.

I would call most any of you friends. And if you are ever passing through east Texas, gimme a holler and I'll buy lunch.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 4:14:46 AM   
John 3rd

I am on a bit of a break (for the first time since joining 10+ years ago) presently and have no idea as to the thread being alluded to but must add that this 'electronic' Forum has given me two friends. I speak to one quite frequently by phone and other get his occasional "tell him this call is from LaSalle, CO" connection followed by outstanding conversation. Treasure every moment of those calls between the two.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 4
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 6:47:27 AM   
Bullwinkle58

Ex nuke? Shudder.

Proud ex-Pork Chop.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 1:15:40 PM   
dave sindel

Canoerebel - very eloquently expressed. I've really come to enjoy this forum in my 18 months of playing AE.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 6
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 2:13:04 PM   
Major Shane

As I said in that "other post." I check in a read from this post almost daily. I find this community creative, respectful of each other and history, and collaborative. I teach US Army doctrine and tactics to our Majors. While most of them are, there are a few that I wish were as serious about the profession of arms as the members of this forum are. For those that have the time and skill to create AARs; I salute you. The AARs are informative and often excellent historical fiction. Finally, having had two great uncles fight in the SWPA AO, thanks to all in the way you honor those that served.

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 7
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 2:37:03 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: m_shane_perkins

I teach US Army doctrine and tactics to our Majors. While most of them are, there are a few that I wish were as serious about the profession of arms as the members of this forum are.

Got any nice sources for this I can read? Modern tactics, historical, or both?

(in reply to Major Shane)
Post #: 8
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 4:56:27 PM   
dr.hal

I agree, well stated. However, in many ways it is axiomatic, if a forum offends or a member of the forum offends I avoid that forum or individual. In other words, I don't stay in a place (electronically or otherwise) which I find negative, offensive or otherwise detracts from the atmosphere I choose to reside in. I look for contributions, not conflict. Thanks to all for making this a continually contributing concept of carefully crafted posts!

< Message edited by dr.hal -- 9/11/2016 7:58:35 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 9
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 7:44:59 PM   
Korvar

Well said, Canoerebel.

I think all of what you said manifests itself for me when I commonly find myself participating in the forum in lieu of playing WitPAE, during those times when there isn't time for both.

I also try to guard myself against confirmation bias, yet when I step back and look at the harshest, most serious criticisms of the forum, I see a consistent lack of rigor in the thought processes. This tends to show when the argument quickly disintegrates into reliance on ad hominem, gross generalizations, straw men, and the rest. I find the opposite is true of the greatest proponents of the forum - I consistently see people capable of considerable depth in their strategic/logical thought processes who are also capable of introspection and of cognitive dissonance when confronted with opposing views. I think, as a community, we are more than capable of extracting the useful bits from criticism and discarding the rest.

I actually look forward to most disagreements on this forum because it usually means I'm going to learn something.

All that said, it is a pleasure to be a part of this forum.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 10
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 8:02:54 PM   
SheperdN7

quote:

A few days ago, I was giving thought to the quality, friendliness and decorum of the Forum community. I got sidetracked and didn’t post my thoughts that morning. I came to wish I had. That post would have been timely given what transpired in another thread later that day.

This forum is unique in my experience. I have belonged to forums devoted to hiking, bird-watching, botany, canoeing and other activities. These are communities I have strong senses of identity with. And, yet, over the years I have frequently been dismayed by the lack of civility (snarkiness being a good word) by so many regulars on those forums.

In some ways, the WitP:AE forum is a much more diverse group – especially in terms of national origin. With the language barriers and background differences, I wouldn’t expect the community to remain so decorous. I’d expect squabbles to erupt from time to time based upon political or military policy differences, language barriers, and societal differences in how we address one another and how to disagree with civility.

Somehow, this forum self-polices (usually before the Moderator has to step in). Almost always, forumites avoid or back down from political or religious topics. Somehow, a forum filled with men who have served in the armed services seldom if ever uses profanity (most members don’t mind profanity, but it is offensive to some of us). Somehow, vulgarity and lewdness are essentially absent. That’s even remarkable when you consider that most of us are obviously men who find lovely women lovely.

The collective knowledge of this Forum is remarkable. You can find credible information on so many topics. And because so many of us have known each other for so long, there is a reliability to opinions expressed and analysis given that seems quite wonderful to me. I don’t know a lot of you, but I know enough of you that I can ask (and sometimes have asked) questions about things unrelated to warfare. And from time to time I’ve had military questions for stories I’ve been working on, and gotten incredibly helpful information from the Forum. (A for instance: two years ago I needed help reading U.S. Marine casualty and fitness reports for a marine killed at Iwo Jima and got in-depth, insightful feedback in a few minutes that might’ve taken hours of days of research. And I knew that information was informed.)

Without the benefit of meeting a single Forumite or any of you having character references, you would be “go to” resources if I got marooned in your city or your country. All my money stolen in Aurora, Colorado? Call John III (for help, not because he’s a suspect). Need a tour guide in Italy? Greyjoy. Forget how to speak good English in England? Obvert. Wish to understand what kind of prairie woman would marry an ex nuke who tries to write novels? Bullwinkle. And on, and on, and on. The Forum is filled with quality people from all over the globe.

Some detractors will say that a post like this tickles ears and fosters nothing but a “mutual admiration society.” They’d be wrong. I can’t think of a Forumite that needs or wants their egos stoked. These are men (and an occasional woman) secure in who they are, what they know, and what they stand for.

I left AE three years ago today, indefinitely and, as far as I knew, permanently. I was gone for 2.25 years, but I never left the forum during that long sabbatical. Apart from the fun AARs, occasional humor, the mysteries of Geofflambert’s schtick, and the occasional annoyances, I couldn’t imagine not being a part of this great community.

Thanks, gents, for making this Forum what it is. A very fine community of good men (and the occasional woman).

Well said sir :)

I know that since joining this forum, all I have to say are positive things about the people that play this game. I occasionally will check out the other forums on this site and I don't think any of them come even close to this one in terms of usage and content.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve"- attributed to Isoroko Yamamoto

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 11
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 8:21:07 PM   
KenchiSulla

Nicely put... I would like to introduce you to a dutch word. I find this forum very gezellig!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM2mxbnsKVY

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 12
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 8:57:03 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

quote:

I teach US Army doctrine and tactics to our Majors. While most of them are, there are a few that I wish were as serious about the profession of arms as the members of this forum are.

That's an anecdote. He is the only source unless he knows some colleagues who agree with him, or not.

I may have misunderstood Anachro, he may have been asking about current tactics texts rather than anything to do with our forumites.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 9/10/2016 9:00:37 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 13
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 9:22:30 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

dr.hal: Thanks to all for making this a continually contributing concept of carefully crafted posts!

You, sir, have shown your alliteracy! May I suggest the word "posts" should be comments ?

EDIT: brain fart - definitely meant to thank Canoerebel for the thoughtfulness and decorum he brings to the forum. (rhyme not premeditated - call it serendipity!)

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 9/10/2016 9:26:19 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 14
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 9:54:03 PM   
Korvar

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

You, sir, have shown your alliteration affinity! May I suggest the word "posts" should be comments ?

'alliteracy'...

FTFY

Otherwise, how dare that Dr. Hal guy for being uninterested in reading our carefully crafted comments!

< Message edited by Korvar -- 9/10/2016 9:59:08 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 10:07:07 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korvar

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

You, sir, have shown your alliteration affinity! May I suggest the word "posts" should be comments ?

'alliteracy'...

FTFY

Otherwise, how dare that Dr. Hal guy for being uninterested in reading our carefully crafted comments!

Yes - I was aware there is no such word - but I had to mash illiteracy and alliteration together to coin it. I highlighted the leading "c"s in red so that our readers who do not know what alliteration is could catch my drift, but the red doesn't stand out as well as I had hoped.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 16
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 10:24:59 PM   
Korvar

Oh, my mistake, I took it as:

aliteracy - the state of having the ability to read, but lacking interest in doing so.

Also, you could use bold on the "C's" to make them stand out a little more. I use it all the time on links for the same reason.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/10/2016 11:51:14 PM   
Major Shane

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

quote:

Google any of CTID's
U.S. Army TRISA Threat Tactics Reports. They are official, but unclassified reports. ISIL, Syria, Russia have all been assessed in the past couple years. In many ways, what's old is new again with a few twists. Russia has taken advantage of our strategic gaps.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 18
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/11/2016 2:18:06 AM   
crsutton

Now I am just a little verklempt. Talk among yourselves while I regain my composure.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Major Shane)
Post #: 19
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/11/2016 2:40:31 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Now I am just a little verklempt. Talk among yourselves while I regain my composure.

You used the plural "yourselves". I am completely capable of talking to myself!

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 20
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/11/2016 2:48:15 AM   
scondon87

Agree with all of you. This forum has been a wonderful source of answers and wisdom from all of you who came to the game before me. Very grateful for this community as I work my way to being a passable player.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 21
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/11/2016 4:29:43 AM   
rustysi

Canoerebel, thank you sir, well said, I couldn't agree more.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to scondon87)
Post #: 22
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/11/2016 2:31:57 PM   
Graymane

Great post! This forum is fairly unique among most of the ones I've frequented or lurked in

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 23
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/11/2016 7:59:46 PM   
dr.hal

I try not to be obvious.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 24
RE: Thanks, Forum and Forumites - 9/11/2016 8:02:02 PM   
dr.hal

Don't encourage him, it only makes him bolder!!!!!

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Thanks, Forum and Forumites Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI