Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 2:21:37 AM   
Timotheus

Yes, I am blunt, but this price range scares away customers. I am well aware of the matrix pricing policy - bought a few games from them.

But $80 is very hard to justify.

I think that xtrg exposed this game to a few people, a clear majority of whom would never play whole campaign (I would, but then again I am crazy) but would love to derp around Midway or Port Moresby. But not for eighty, no way.

PS
Can we have more stickies topics please? I can still see the actual forum - the whole front page should be just useless stickes
Post #: 1
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 3:07:26 AM   
btd64

Timotheus, You are right. $80 is a lot. My opinion, it should be $99. The enjoyment this game has provided me, the good people who help improve this game, the depth, maybe $99 is to little. The 80 I spent for AE is the best 80 bucks I have spent....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 2
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 3:21:32 AM   
Gandalf

These types of posts always make me think of someone walking into a Lamborghini dealer and telling him that his vehicle is only worth $20,000

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 4:45:52 AM   
rustysi

Well TBH the program is worth the price. I have never played a game (board or computer) that can match this and that's with ~50 years of game playing. If you're still not convinced wait a couple of months and Matrix will have its Christmas sale. This game has been on there before. Maybe it'll be there this year too.

P.S. This is also the best supported game at its age as well. It came out 2009 and still gets 'unofficial' updates by one of the programmers, not to mention it has an extremely active and helpful forum. Find another game this old that can boast such.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 4
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 5:59:39 AM   
Yaab

Timotheus, I would say that the in-game databases are alone worth $80.

WITP:AE biggest drawback is the lack of a demo version. I took a plunge and bought the game when I saw combat reports from naval engagements - the amount of detail for me back then was insane and still is.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 5
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 12:12:26 PM   
KenchiSulla

In my current PBEM as Japan I've played over 1200 turns.. Each turn was around 25 minuts of fun on average (some ofcourse took me a few hours, but 25 minuts on average is not to far of)..

That is roughly 500 hours that I played in just my current Japan PBEM...

in just my current Japan PBEM...
- I've seen 30.000 aircraft go down in flames, in the drink or shot up on the ground
- 2500 ships have sunk
- I've arranged for dozens of surface engagements, a couple of carrier battles, 100s of sub engagements
- I've conquered China
- The allies roughly lost 175000 squads...
- And yes, I actually do have a life

If this would have been my only game it would have cost me 16 cents per hour played....

The truth is, it is not my first game... I've been playing since 2009 so the real cost per hour is something like 1 cent..

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivo

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 6
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 12:29:00 PM   
szmike

Well, while I agree the price is high in comparison to other titles, the game is very unique and at the end of the day 80$ isn't that much money when comparing to other entertainment possibilities and per hour value is much better. Also when one can't spare 80$ for this game, he probably has more important problems.
The game isn't for everyone though and if one doesn't have inclination to be control/micromanagement freak, he probably shouldn't buy it.

Imho Matrix should significantly lower the price of 1st WitP as a kind of low risk introduction title, so one can get a taste at low price and move to AE when addiction is acquired.

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 7
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 12:46:05 PM   
SigUp

quote:

ORIGINAL: KenchiSulla

In my current PBEM as Japan I've played over 1200 turns.. Each turn was around 25 minuts of fun on average (some ofcourse took me a few hours, but 25 minuts on average is not to far of)..

I find it hard on my end to committ to a grand campaign even against the AI since I think I may be overmanaginig things. Do you have a checklist of what you do in the usual regular turns (that don't have something spectacular happening that need some hours of work)?

Post #: 8
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 12:46:19 PM   
Anachro

With all the above-mentioned in mind, isn't there usually a nice sale around Christmas?

(in reply to szmike)
Post #: 9
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 1:33:01 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

With all the above-mentioned in mind, isn't there usually a nice sale around Christmas?

Yeah, I think it was 30% off or something pretty recently.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 10
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 2:01:32 PM   
KenchiSulla

quote:

ORIGINAL: SigUp

quote:

ORIGINAL: KenchiSulla

I find it hard on my end to committ to a grand campaign even against the AI since I think I may be overmanaginig things. Do you have a checklist of what you do in the usual regular turns (that don't have something spectacular happening that need some hours of work)?

No checklist. I go in armed with the knowledge I'll make mistakes and accept the fact that I'll be somewhat ineffecient in some areas (for example, I could have had 900 trained pilots instead of 750....).. Every 20 turns or so (depending on my schedule) I do a major review of damaged ships I forgot about, training squadrons that need attention etc... Works ok for me.

Do note that I only got this comfortable with the game after around a 1000 turns..

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 11
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 5:26:23 PM   
crsutton

Got to say if I had known a decade earlier, the total pleasure and time spent playing this game I would have easily coughed up a grand. I am not kidding either. Lets face it, You could pay a grand for a high price hooker and be looking for something else to do in 30 minutes....

< Message edited by crsutton -- 9/3/2016 5:29:28 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 12
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 5:27:16 PM   
crsutton

Sorry double post. Might as well play with some of the emoticons..

< Message edited by crsutton -- 9/3/2016 5:29:02 PM >

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 13
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 5:27:30 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Got to say. If I had known a decade earlier, the total pleasure and time spent playing this game I would have easily coughed up a grand. I am not kidding either. Lets face it. You could pay a grand for a high price hooker and be looking for something else to do in 30 minutes....

Braggart!

Would they be from . . . Chile was it?

The Moose

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 14
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 5:29:48 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Got to say. If I had known a decade earlier, the total pleasure and time spent playing this game I would have easily coughed up a grand. I am not kidding either. Lets face it. You could pay a grand for a high price hooker and be looking for something else to do in 30 minutes....

Braggart!

I know, a lot of you would have topped out at 20 minutes but I did not want to hurt any feelings...

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 15
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 5:33:52 PM   
Canoerebel

I've never had a grand to spare. Money is tight, at least for this backroads Georgia boy. Heck, I'm driving a 1999 F-150 pickup truck, and have been for 17 years, and I didn't even bother making repairs after it took some hits in an F-3 tornado in 2013. I'm not complaining, but I do want to make it clear that my budget is pretty tight.

So I'm glad AE isn't a thousand dollars, or I'd be priced out of the market. But it would be worth it if I had the cash. I'm just glad I picked it up in 2009 for $80 (or whatever the price was). Since then I've played thousands of hours - and that doesn't count the hour-multiplier that comes from all the thinking and daydreaming about the game. I bet that is a 3:1 multiplier.

All of us who love AE know that it costs lest than pennies an hour to play it. Since I made that purchase in '09, I've only bought one other game (TOAW). I just don't have time or inclination for anything except AE. So, if I'm buying games for an $80 expense every five or ten years, and if I play that game endlessly and think about it even more, the economics come out pretty good.

Kind of like buying a new F-150 in 1999 and then not having to replace it for 17 years. That's pretty darned good value.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 16
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 5:40:32 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

quote:

Braggart!

I know, a lot of you would have topped out at 20 minutes but I did not want to hurt any feelings...

Got an extra zero there . . .

The Moose

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 17
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 5:41:56 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

So I'm glad AE isn't a thousand dollars, or I'd be priced out of the market.

I had to get divorced to buy WITP . . .

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 18
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 6:34:01 PM   
KenchiSulla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Kind of like buying a new F-150 in 1999 and then not having to replace it for 17 years. That's pretty darned good value.

1.6 gallons for 10 miles? You would have been bankrupt had you driven it in Europe.... You probably pay for a gallon what we pay for a liter...

< Message edited by KenchiSulla -- 9/3/2016 6:35:26 PM >

AKA Cannonfodder

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 19
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 6:46:52 PM   
Canoerebel

No, it's more like 15 to 17 miles per gallon. So 1.6 gallons might yield 25 to 30 miles. It has 255,000 miles on it. My stepbrother drove a pickup for 500k+. But I think that was a Toyota. I kept waiting for him to steer it into a ship. AE runs in my blood.

Post #: 20
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 6:54:37 PM   
BradK82

Why don't you try begging...oh, wait...

< Message edited by BradK82 -- 9/3/2016 6:56:34 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 21
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 6:59:30 PM   
btd64

quote:

quote:

quote:

Braggart!

Aye, depends on the old ticker....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 22
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 7:03:29 PM   
KenchiSulla

quote:

Got to say if I had known a decade earlier, the total pleasure and time spent playing this game I would have easily coughed up a grand. I am not kidding either. Lets face it, You could pay a grand for a high price hooker and be looking for something else to do in 30 minutes....

Chasing people of your lawn?

AKA Cannonfodder

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 23
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 7:03:43 PM   
Canoerebel

For any of you who are relatively new to the AE forum (say, less than three years), Ross (crsutton) once unleashed a famous thread comment about Chilean prostitutes.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 24
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 7:21:15 PM   
Yaab

My memory of that thread is somewhat hazy. Was her character, uhm, fleshed out?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 25
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 7:23:59 PM   
Canoerebel

It's funny, but I don't recall the exact form and substance of Ross's comment. The way I remember it was that he was interjecting an innocent comment into a conversation, but that the mention of an experience of some kind with a Chilean prostitute was like tossing gasoline onto a grill at an outdoor barbecue. Suddenly the conversation erupted into hilarity.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 26
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 7:28:04 PM   
Alpha77

Timotheus, so you made the thread but did not reply any further when so many gave their opinions.
But there are every 2 weeks or so people who say this on here and always they get the same answers it seems...

I agree the price may be to high for newcomers, so better watch gameplay videos and read AARs before making the decission (or Matrix decides to downprice it a bit)...or find someone who can leand you the game to try it out. I guess there is a kind of a demo tho, the one for Unc. Valor (I believe)...it should give you a feel (even if AE is much more complex, but system is still the same)

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 27
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 11:05:45 PM   
crsutton

Let me be clear here. I would have paid a grand for the game and then bought one for Dan too had I know we were going to get the poormouth. I figure his AARs were worth the cost of a thousand dollar game over the years. I would not however spring for a hooker for him. That SOB is just going to have to pony up and pay for something....

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 28
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/3/2016 11:07:20 PM   
crsutton

Oh yeah, I just sent in my renewal check for Georgia Backroads. He can go get himself a sandwich and piece of pecan pie on that. Showed him the love....

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 29
RE: Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? - 9/4/2016 2:03:17 AM   
Canoerebel

Ross's Birkenstock's are worth more than my pickup truck.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Watching XTRG - any chance for a sale? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI