Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Lengthy BB upgrades

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Lengthy BB upgrades Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lengthy BB upgrades - 8/30/2016 6:32:36 PM   
jwolf

Playing Allies against the AI, now in late October 1942. Of the 8 BBs that start at Pearl, 6 survived though with heavy damage. I've spent most of 1942 getting them repaired -- the worst one won't be done until Feb 43 but the others have finished. Now, looking at the refit schedule I see that most of them are due for very long refits of 5, 7, or even 9 months either now or very soon. In short, I get to use one of them for only 1-3 months before it gets locked up again for a very long time. I wish those refits could have been completed during the already lengthy repairs. I am assuming these refits are important enough that they should definitely be done -- is this correct?

Looking much farther into the future, I happened to notice that one of these BBs has a 9 month refit scheduled -- in 1945! Isn't that kind of silly? Why would anyone do that?
Post #: 1
RE: Lengthy BB upgrades - 8/30/2016 6:49:49 PM   
GetAssista

You won't need them much anyway in 42-43, they are born to be slow bombardment platforms and invasion shell magnets. Would be bad to use and lose them in other role

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 2
RE: Lengthy BB upgrades - 8/30/2016 7:00:22 PM   
Macclan5

Welcome to the beauty and frustration of this game.

3 quick notes:

1) Just because an upgrade is scheduled does not mean you have to enact it. You can turn it off.

Even if your Allied fleet is not 'optimized' you may have to delay the upgrades until such time as the ship is sufficiently damaged or obsolete and you can 'conduct war with other assets'.

2) The relative importance of the re-fits is again subject to 'your need at the front'.

I don't think there will be universal agreement.

If you have no other capital ships - damn the upgrades and plug the hole in the line. Keep-em fighting.

Personally I obtained the 42 upgrades which included the first form of Allied Radar as I recall; but my need for them as bombardment assets precluded me in sending them back to port except 1 at a time. I cycled through them.

I think the relative importance can vary based also on your perception. If you are fluent in Tracker and the Database you likely have to make your own assessment.

3) I think/ thought you could in fact get upgrades on with Damage repair if the "upgrade on toggle was on" when you disbanded ship at port.

I don't have the manual in front of me; perhaps I am wrong (old man's memory) or perhaps there are limits.

I recall it happening in a message once. I sailed the BB into port and allowed the game mechanics to auto upgrade while disbanded at port - the damage was fixed as well. However I am not 100% certain and the damage was light as I recall.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 3
RE: Lengthy BB upgrades - 8/30/2016 7:19:44 PM   
Zorch

Historically some of the Pearl Harbor repair/refits did stretch into 1944, such as West Virginia. They were less important than other ships; and as others have noted, didn't have a role except shore bombardment.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 4
RE: Lengthy BB upgrades - 8/30/2016 11:52:27 PM   
BBfanboy

The ones getting lengthy refits are getting their manually loaded 5"/25 AA and 5"/51 manually loaded anti-surface guns replaced with the excellent DP 5"/38. A most worthwhile conversion. The extra range and rate of fire of the new gun is much needed before facing the Kamikazes.

Damage and upgrade can be handled concurrently - the AI will analyze whether the length of the shipyard stay is increased because of the damage or if it can be cleared while the upgrade is happening. I usually consider the total span of time if there were no concurrent work when deciding whether to go ahead with the upgrade. Depends on need for the ship.

For most purposes a number of CAs can do a pretty good bombardment job. I only get antsy about lack of a BB if there is a tough naval fort that I want to deal with. The British "R" class BBs + Warspite and Valiant can fill the gaps while the US BBs are starting their upgrades. After late 1942 the US has enough fast BBs to fill the role from time to time.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 5
RE: Lengthy BB upgrades - 8/30/2016 11:57:08 PM   
btd64

In the art area, some masts get removed as well. But the 5" gun upgrade is a great thing....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Lengthy BB upgrades - 8/31/2016 12:06:26 AM   
Korvar

Others have said what I would advise, but I would also add -

You think upgrading them is bad? Wait until that shiny ship you've so carefully shepherded through the repair/upgrade process is torpedoed as it exits the harbor. Or makes it halfway across the Pacific only to have the same happen in its first engagement. If you're lucky enough for it to survive, you get to limp it all the way back to drydock to start the whole process over again!

But as others have said - view the upgrades as options, nothing more. If you think the 'lemon isn't worth the squeeze' for a certain upgrade, then don't upgrade the ship! That's the beauty of the game - you are in command of the theater of operations and you can determine what goes! The flexibility in decisions the game gives you means it also gives you enough rope to hang yourself, but that's the challenge, isn't it?

< Message edited by Korvar -- 8/31/2016 12:07:53 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Lengthy BB upgrades Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI