Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why No Divisions in DBB

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Why No Divisions in DBB Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why No Divisions in DBB - 8/2/2016 5:55:14 PM   
US87891

In response to questions, this is the rationale and a guide for effective use.

In the War-II era (even more so in War-I) high intensity combat would quickly reduce an infantry division to its artillery and rear area service elements, along with a collection of exhausted, bleeding, infantry battalion remnants. This was a recurring feature in every combat analysis of every nation in the conflict. Infantry comprised about 30% of divisional manpower, but incurred 80% of casualties. It’s not hard to see how a division could quickly devolve to a short arty regiment with some support and a gaggle of not very highly motivated infantry support troops.

Artillery doesn’t assault. Infantry assaults. Engineers sometimes assault when their expertise is necessary. There are combat functions in the game system that support this differentiation.
A brigade/regiment is an infantry organization for the most part. It is the assault element. The game system is is quite nice in this regard because units may have different postures: Combat or Reserve. And if in combat, may have different Missions: Bombardment or attack/assault.

The internal makeup of a stack defines the posture/mission of each of the elements. The arty bombards, some of the infantry assaults, other infantry waits to get substituted into the mix. The infantry takes the majority of the casualties. Think about it.

Matt
Post #: 1
RE: Why No Divisions in DBB - 8/2/2016 6:12:54 PM   
witpqs

Are you considering making that change (no divisions) overall across Babes? I know that's a massive effort so I am not suggesting it, I'm just curious if that's something you're implying. I recall that was done already for Australia, for example.

(in reply to US87891)
Post #: 2
RE: Why No Divisions in DBB - 8/2/2016 7:56:58 PM   
AlessandroD

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Are you considering making that change (no divisions) overall across Babes? I know that's a massive effort so I am not suggesting it, I'm just curious if that's something you're implying. I recall that was done already for Australia, for example.

Oh...it would be fantastic!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
RE: Why No Divisions in DBB - 8/3/2016 2:26:03 PM   
US87891

quote:

No. No one is into massaging the GC. I don't think any of our people care much for the whole ground war in Asia concept. Two main technical reasons are not enough slots, and it would destroy any ability (such as it is) to use the existing GC scenarios with the AI. Sorry.

All we do now is smaller-map, shorter-time, specific-problem scenarios. It is a large pain to port scenarios from our system to standard AE, but those that can be done will have brigade/regiment as the highest echelon.

btw, can I send you a pm about a screen resolution question?

Matt

< Message edited by US87891 -- 8/3/2016 2:30:52 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4
RE: Why No Divisions in DBB - 8/3/2016 3:50:33 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

Everyone keeps posting about how DBB removed the ability to build up the Australian divisions, but I am simply not finding that to be the case.
I play exclusively Babes scenarios and I still get to combine the individual brigades into divisions.

What Babes are the rest of you guys playing that is different from the Babes I am playing?

I've played DBB-C and Ironman ported to Babes (#40).

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 8/3/2016 3:51:00 PM >

Hans

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5
RE: Why No Divisions in DBB - 8/3/2016 4:19:35 PM   
Anachro

It's weird..I'm playing one DBB-C scenario right now where I could build-up the Aussie divisions...and then I have another one same scenario where I can't.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 6
RE: Why No Divisions in DBB - 8/3/2016 4:38:47 PM   
US87891

DBB GC scenarios work within the AE system.

DBB short scenarios works according to a different system.

One size does not fit all. Do not make the mistake of conflating the two.

[ed] think I have entered the weird world of wargamers, so I will exit and no longer respond to any such nonsense.

Matt

< Message edited by US87891 -- 8/3/2016 4:44:38 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: Why No Divisions in DBB - 8/3/2016 4:40:16 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: US87891

DBB GC scenarios work within the AE system.

DBB short scenarios works according to a different system.

One size does not fit all. Do not make the mistake of conflating the two.

Matt

Obviously most are all making that mistake as very few are clarifying which they are referring to.

Hans

(in reply to US87891)
Post #: 8
RE: Why No Divisions in DBB - 8/3/2016 5:06:09 PM   
Anachro

I'm well aware of the difference between GC and small scenarios...

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 9
RE: Why No Divisions in DBB - 8/3/2016 9:25:20 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: US87891

quote:

No. No one is into massaging the GC. I don't think any of our people care much for the whole ground war in Asia concept. Two main technical reasons are not enough slots, and it would destroy any ability (such as it is) to use the existing GC scenarios with the AI. Sorry.

All we do now is smaller-map, shorter-time, specific-problem scenarios. It is a large pain to port scenarios from our system to standard AE, but those that can be done will have brigade/regiment as the highest echelon.

btw, can I send you a pm about a screen resolution question?

Matt

PM sent.

(in reply to US87891)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Why No Divisions in DBB Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI