Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[WAD + FIXED v1.11 SR4] ASW patrol on station disregarding patrol zone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [WAD + FIXED v1.11 SR4] ASW patrol on station disregarding patrol zone Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[WAD + FIXED v1.11 SR4] ASW patrol on station disregard... - 7/22/2016 3:25:14 PM   
Rongor

This is connected to my other reports of today.
Frequently I noticed that MPAs on ASW patrol - even when already acting on station in the defined patrol zone - sometimes ignored the zone and instead maintain their set heading (dropping sonobuoys) until reaching the end of a ambiguity zone. "Investigate outside" was inactive in the mission editor.
In the save, it is the "S-43W" mission and you will notice one Orion made it way west and started to cross Greenland... At least it stopped dropping sonobuoys after overflying the coast. Unfortunately I noticed that too late, being distracted elsewhere.
It apparently now turns, having reached the end of that SOSUS ambiguity zone.

Before I had Orions assigned to that exact mission setting their transit destination from Keflavik NAS overhead Greenland, although the mission area forbids that.

There seem a number of issues with setting up ASW patrols in the mission editor currently.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by emsoy -- 7/30/2016 11:53:49 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: ASW patrol on station disregarding patrol zone - 7/22/2016 3:32:56 PM   
Rongor

If you continue that savegame, you will notice not only the Orion starting to deploy sonobuoys across land but the next departing Orion from Keflavik assigned to that mission heading right into the land area way west outside the patrol zone, while again disregarding not only the patrol zone and the altitude settings but also being engaged offensive right away, like Mik already hinted.

I just tested to move the zone to some empty area, then everything went normal. Whenever the patrol zone includes some ambiguity, assigned units instantly switch engaged offensive, even if they are still way outside the patrol zone.

So the ASW patrol currently simply doesn't work , if the patrol zone touches or intersects some ambiguity zone.

< Message edited by Rongor -- 7/22/2016 3:54:44 PM >

(in reply to Rongor)
Post #: 2
RE: ASW patrol on station disregarding patrol zone - 7/22/2016 6:46:34 PM   
mikmykWS

Added to our list of edge cases. Known issue though that can be resolved with zones.

Thanks

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 7/22/2016 6:49:22 PM >

(in reply to Rongor)
Post #: 3
RE: ASW patrol on station disregarding patrol zone - 7/30/2016 11:53:36 AM   
ComDev

Thanks for your feedback Rongor

On #1, this is by design. The contact is believed to be inside the patrol zone but it does some localization work outside the patrol zone as well.

On #2, improvements have been made in SR4.

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 4
RE: ASW patrol on station disregarding patrol zone - 7/30/2016 10:37:12 PM   
Rongor

Hey Emsoy, I think I just addressed that overall issue in the other thread.

I am not sure you really intend to have it to the dimension I experienced it. My units didn't do "some" work outside the patrol zone, they simply ignored it. Also I don't see how the contact should be assumed at some exact location at this time of the scenario. I assumed the ambiguity zone tells us exactly that: that the location is unknown, but inside that zone. So it serves as a perfect visual helper to guide me where to place my patrol zones.
There are times when the ambiguity zone extends for hundreds of miles across Greenland. Of course we know the sub won't be there. But the ASW patrol mission logic ignores that. That is no big deal since we can define patrol zones in that great mission editor you gave us.
But if the patrol zone we defined there is ignored, only because of the enemy contact symbol (serving as indicator which kind of contact is in that huge ambiguity zone) is interpreted by the AI as the exact location of the target, then in my opinion the mission logic does obviously fail to serve our need in these cases.
Right now, there is no way of creating an ASW patrol mission obeying the defined patrol zone, in case it includes the indicating target symbol of some contact which might not even be in the defined patrol zone, but instead somewhere within an enormous ambiguity zone (which might extend outside our defined mission area). So equally there is right now no way to economically do ASW patrol missions across areas which contain ambiguity zones. I guess, that is not wanted?

Looking forward for SR4 in any case

Thanks for your work!

< Message edited by Rongor -- 7/30/2016 10:41:29 PM >

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [WAD + FIXED v1.11 SR4] ASW patrol on station disregarding patrol zone Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI