Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario - 7/14/2016 4:05:47 AM   
Ormand

OK, let me see if I can put together something coherent in the time I have. I first made a word doc, which would have made this a bit easier to produce, but it was 800kb, and can't be uploaded.

Using models is fairly straightforward, but a bit involved. There are several steps, and interconnected pages in the editor. Generally speaking the steps don't have a specific order, but you have to remember to do each of the things. After awhile, it gets to be fairly routine. The one thing that I won't have time for is to explain the various events and what they do. Hopefully, in a few weeks.

It will also be longer than I would like because I can only embed one picture per post.

A place to start is to convert anewdawn2.at2 into anewdawn3.at2. We begin by adding a light tank model. The Masterfile already has the four core SFTs with research levels I, II, III, and IV. To create a light tank model, or concept, we need a minimum of three things: 1) a new SFT, 2) a string list for the names, and 3) an event for creation and potential upgrades.

A first tip. If you are starting with anewdawn2.at2, remember to save the results into another file, or you will overwrite anewdawn2. I found that I must have done this myself.

< Message edited by Ormand -- 7/14/2016 4:21:49 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario - 7/14/2016 4:18:06 AM   
Ormand

To create a new SFT, the concept. The easiest way to do this is to go into the SFT list, and select the “Light Tank” SFT and clone it by clicking the “Add SFT Copy” button. This will create a new SFT at the bottom of the list with all the same statistics as the light tank. We don’t need to do much of anything to the main stats. We need to work on the “Models 1” and “Models 2” tabs. We should rename this, and I generally made it “Light Tank Concept”. This is because this name will not be used once you make the model in the game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 2
RE: Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario - 7/14/2016 4:20:15 AM   
Ormand

Now, we need make a list of names. In anewdawn3.at2, this is done in stringlist=121 (in the file it is the 88th list, but its ID is 121). The stringlist has three columns: weight, name, people. When the model is created, it will create the name for the new model from this list. It will do it with a random selection, where the weight is determined by the number in the 1st column (equal weight is 1 for all). The 3rd column specifies the people. You need to have a list of names for each people, including neutrals. You can make this list in three ways. You can copy it in from anewdawn3.at2, create a comma-delimited text file, or enter it by hand.

Here is the stringlist of names:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ormand -- 7/14/2016 4:24:11 AM >

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 3
RE: Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario - 7/14/2016 4:23:55 AM   
Ormand

Now we go back to the “Light Tank Concept” SFT and click on the “Models 1” tab.

This is the generic set up that ATG will give you for each SFT. The first thing to do is to click on the button next to “ModelisBase” and change this to true. This makes it a model and not an SFT.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 4
RE: Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario - 7/14/2016 4:28:15 AM   
Ormand

The next that you will notice is a funny thing in that in the “research” window by “SMG Infantry” there is a “1” in the “RES” column. Note that over by the button “Modelresearch(0)”, this is set equal to SMG Infantry. This is basically saying the base research for this model is SMG Infantry. This is a default creation setting for all SFTs, but is, of course, wrong. We will now set the research levels for Light Tank.

First, click on the SMG Infantry line and a set of buttons will pop up as shown in the figure.

Click on the “Set Research for Level” button and enter zero. The Model Research will still be “SMG Infantry”, which is wrong. Now, go down to “Light Tank”, click the button, and enter zero. The Modelresearch field will now change to “Light Tank”, which is correct. This sets Light Tank research as the base research needed for this model. For the most part zero is the first element in these arrays. (technically, all the other research should have a -1 in them, as in not applicable). OK, now go down to “Light Tank II”. Click the “Set Research for Level” tab, and enter “1”. Do the same for “Light Tank III” and “Light Tank IV” and enter “2” and “3”, respectively. This now defines the research techs for the first four levels for the model (SFT). If you have more techs for levels, follow this procedure for all the levels. I had you put a zero in the “SMG Infantry” first because I have found that if you first put a zero in for “Light Tank” and then went on to put a “1” for “Light Tank II”, SMG Infantry would have gone to “2”. Then as you added more “Light Tank” techs, the level for SMG would keep increasing. This way, it is eliminated.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 5
RE: Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario - 7/14/2016 4:31:35 AM   
Ormand

Now, we go to all the buttons and put in the appropriate data. The 1st choice is the cost for the model, and the incremental cost for each level and for the same model. These are the values in anewdawn3.at2, and are based on what you want for your scenario. Leave the event entry blank for now, as we’ll get to it later. Set the ModelNameList from the drop down menu. It is whatever the ID # is for the stringlist you created. The next choice is to decide if models can be upgraded, that is when you research “Light Tank II” if the model can be upgraded, or if you have to start with a new model. This is either true or false. The next on the right is whether to allow model improvements. These will be accomplished via event that we will have to set in the “Research Window” later. Set this to true and set the cost. Then, the item for this model. Select this from the dropdown menu, namely “Light Tank”. Modelregime determines which regimes should get the model. For random games, this should be -1, which is for everybody. Modelresearch(0) is already set from what we did before. The last button is if an additional research is required for this model. This would be true for “Super Heavy Tank”, which requires “S-Hvy Tank Theory”. This is set here. The button right above this “Copy all Model settings from #” is handy as it will allow you to use all these settings for another SFT, like "Medium Tank". You will have to enter the SFT number. So, when you make “Medium Tank Concept” you would copy “Light Tank Concept” from SFT #155. This will be a good thing after we add all the improvements and alterations and will save a lot of time.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ormand -- 7/14/2016 6:44:18 AM >

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 6
RE: Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario - 7/14/2016 4:33:50 AM   
Ormand

The last thing before the events is to go to the “Statistics 1” tab where we need to select the “ReinforcementType”, “Upgrade to”, and “UpgradeCost”. “ReinforcementType” is important as it is used in the TOE system. If we select SFT #4, this is “Light Tank”, and all models created from this concept will be treated just like all Light Tanks. The TOE system will automatically put these models into units using Light Tanks in the TOE. The same is true for upgrades. It will upgrade to a Light Tank II. So, here you enter the SFT # (38 for Light Tank II). The cost is typically 1/10 the production cost.

Note that this can cause some problems for you with TOE as it will also mix models, and possibly use up all eight of your SFT slots in the unit that way.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 7
RE: Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario - 7/14/2016 4:34:58 AM   
Ormand

Creation/upgrade Event:
This is the bread & butter of the system. The creation/upgrade event is called when you create a new model in the game. For anewdawn3.at2, this is event #96. You will need to look this event over and figure out how to make it work to create your own models. The three main features are modifying the firepower and hitpoint vales, and the SFT description. In anewdawn3.at2, there is also a segment that sets the image for the new model. These are done via a stringlist that has the names that get selected randomly. Then the path is added to it, and then assigned. This is not necessary. Probably, the only thing you must have is the description. But doing things to the firepower and hitpoints add flavor. We can perhaps look at the guts to this event later. You must set the event when the model is created in the “Models 1” tab. So, after you create this even, go back to “Models 1”, click the "ModelNewEvent" button and select the proper event from the drop down menu.

< Message edited by Ormand -- 7/14/2016 4:39:19 AM >

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 8
RE: Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario - 7/14/2016 4:40:30 AM   
Ormand

Improvements:
Improvements are also done via events. The improvements put in anewdanw3.at2 are: 1) Tank Combat, 2) Tank Anti-Infantry, and 3) Tank Mobility. These are each controlled by research tech and an event. For Tank-Combat, the event modifies the firepower and hitpoints for attack and defense against other armor units. The events for these three improvements are #97, 98, and 99, respectively. For the conversion to anewdawn3.at2 you can import these.

The first thing to do is to make the research. Go to the research tab (click the "Res" button on the top) and add new research associated with Tank Combat. Do this by clicking on “Add a Research”. A new tech will appear at the bottom of the list ("A Default Research Field"). Change its name and add a description. In anewdawn3, the TechLevel is set to 99. Set the prerequisite techs (up to two) and which techs are blocked by this tech. Generally speaking, for Level II, the prerequisite is Level I and Level I is also blocked. Follow this pattern all the way up to the levels you have (in anewdawn3, the maximum is VIII). Finally, you need to set the research cost. Set this for people 0, “German”. Then click on “Set all to pplgroup0”, make sure 1 is there and hit return. This will set all peoples to the same research cost. Note that for some of these techs, anewdawn3.at2 actually has unequal costs for some peoples. I believe this is an error. A general rule of thumb is that the cost for each level is roughly a factor of two. But, take a look at what is in anewdawn3.at2 for guidance.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ormand -- 7/14/2016 5:11:37 AM >

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 9
RE: Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario - 7/14/2016 4:45:46 AM   
Ormand

You now need to make the events, which for the exercise you can have imported from anewdawn3.at2. These events are associated with each tech and will modify the model SFT.

After you have the events, go back to the “Research Window” where we will now to set events for the improvements. All those new research techs you created will now show up in the “Research Window”.

Select the “Tank Combat I” (note that long names are not completely visible, with the I hidden). Click the “Set Possible Improvement” button, and enter 1 (0/1 set it to don't allow/allow). Then click the “Set Improve Event” and select the event from the dropdown menu. Do this for each research tech. Generally, the same event will be used for the similar research.

Sometimes you might accidentally click on the "Set Research for Level" button. This is a bit bad. Just hit return, it will still have a zero there, but, the base research for the model will now be this one. If this happens, you should go back to "Light Tank" research and put "Set Research for Level" to zero to fix it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ormand -- 7/14/2016 4:52:03 AM >

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 10
RE: Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario - 7/14/2016 4:52:04 AM   
Ormand

Alterations
Alterations are another modification to the model. They can be applied before the model is produced. They also are controlled by two events. The first one checks to see if the alteration can be applied, and the second executes the alteration. In anewdawn3.at2, tanks can be altered to increase/decrease armor while simultaneously decreasing/increasing movement. You can also undo this alteration with another alteration, which is why there are two.

Alterations are made on the “Models 2” tab for the SFT. You set a name, event for check, and event for alteration

For each, just click the buttons “Set Name”, “Set Check”, and “Set Exec”. When the model SFT is created, there is one blank alteration. To add the second, click “Add an alteration” button, and it will create a second one, and go through the same process of giving a name, and selecting the events for check and exec, respectively.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 11
RE: Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario - 7/14/2016 4:56:03 AM   
Ormand

Events
Later, I will try to explain some features of the events.

When the model is created, the game will create a new SFT and item associated with the model. This way, it can be produced, and there is a data structure specifying its statistics. The game passes TempVar9 and TempVar7 to the events. TempVar9 is the number of the new SFT, and TempVar7 is the number of core research levels for the model (remember, as in C, 0 is the first one). Basically, this is the number assigned to the highest tech in the Research window that you have researched for this model. For example, if you have "Light Tank III", then TempVar7=2.

One useful feature is a data structure SFTypeVar. There are roughly 99 variables for each SFT. You can use these to keep track of which alterations, improvements, and other things you have done to the SFT. There are Check and Exec functions for this variable. This is how the the alterations in anewdawn3.at2 work. Without the alteration SFTypeVar(0)=0. When the alteration is executed, it sets SFTypeVar(0)=1 (in the Exec event). Since the Check event checks if this variable is zero, then you can no longer apply this alteration. On the other hand, the "undo" alteration checks if this variable is > 0, and if so, you can run the "undo" alteration. Basically, these variables give you an opportunity to keep track of what you have done to the SFT model.

< Message edited by Ormand -- 7/14/2016 5:08:43 AM >

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 12
RE: Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario - 7/14/2016 5:02:12 AM   
Ormand

Now, to make a "Medium Tank Concept", you do the first step, make a clone of the Medium Tank and set the Reinforcementype to the Medium Tank SFT. On the Models 1 tab, you can now use the Model data for the "Light Tank Concept" as a base starting point. It will copy in all the Research, costs, everything. So, you'll need to change the costs if you want. But most importantly, you must do: 1) set the item type to the correct SFT, namely "Medium Tank", and 2) set the appropriate research for each Level - go to Medium Tank I, II, III, and IV, and set these to 0, 1, 2, 3. The Light Tank research values will disappear. This will save a lot of tedium in setting the events for the improvements.

Just follow this procedure for each tank model you want to add.

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Tutorial: Adding Models to an ATG scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI