Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So where does it go from here?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Victory and Glory: Napoleon >> So where does it go from here? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So where does it go from here? - 6/15/2016 4:26:43 PM   
Uncle_Joe

Ok, so now that 1.1 is official launched, would it be possible to shed some light on the near-future continued development (if any)?

I know there is pressure to get the game ‘rules complete’ in order to deliver the board game for the KS campaign but I feel that the system won’t really have its acid test until some sort of multiplayer experience on the PC is possible.

In addition, I feel that there are definitely some easily changed rules that could make the game significantly better (and more challenging).

I have played a few games with 1.1 and while it did require a slight adjustment in how I did things from 1.0, the overall campaign plays out the same:

1) Select the best units each recruitment cycle
2) Build up 2 (and later, 3) ‘doom stacks’
3) Play ‘zone defense’ and whack-a-mole Austria/Prussia (until kicked out)/Spain while running off Brit incursions (which matter very little)
4) Play the ‘Consolidate the Empire’ card any time large scale movement is not necessary
5) Ignore the water completely

Following the above, it leads to fairly easy Epic victories and I don’t see any real pull to deviate from this path in any given game (other than for RP reasons).

At the end of the day, there are still a lot of mechanics that don’t make a lot of difference in the long run. Just stack up, KO nations as they declare, and Consolidate. The game becomes ‘played out’ pretty quickly, unfortunately and all of the variety in the cards doesn't change those 5 basic ‘must-dos’.

I would strongly urge the scoring system to be looked at (a very easy change as it should just be variables). Territory should be worth a lot more and battles, a lot less. And there should be a recruitment limit of the ‘power’ units to slow the creation of the doomstacks (50% stock infantry each turn or something). This alone might help push the French to reach for additional territory and possibly even into Russia. I would imagine that a few more ‘Minor Nation Joins’ and ‘Minor Nation Liberated’ cards would need be added to the respective sides to keep the battle for territory interesting (with a possibility of an ‘Annex territory’ from majors when defeated).

I look forward to any response regarding the continued development of the title.

Thanks for reading!

Post #: 1
RE: So where does it go from here? - 6/15/2016 4:59:55 PM   
vaalen

I realize that I have been using the same five step process, and it works. Even with the latest patch.

I would add a sixth rule, which is to destroy the enemy cavalry during the battle, while having a lot of cavalry in your doomstack.This will usually allow your pursuit to devastate the enemy.

My twenty unit stack with Napoleon fought five battles against Prussia and Russia in Berlin, in a three turn period. Napoleon received no reinforcements during these battles. He lost five units in the first battle. three of the next four battles were against Prussian and Russian stacks with twenty units each. Despite this, Napoleon won all four battles, destroying over thirty enemy units while losing only one of his own. A lot of the losses occurred during pursuit.

My experience has been that while a lot of good units are available for recruitment early in the game, eventually there is only infantry and a small amount of light cavalry available. Did you have a different experience?

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 2
RE: So where does it go from here? - 6/15/2016 7:03:47 PM   
Uncle_Joe

Yes, later in the game the pickings are fairly slim but I tend to preserve my top units and added to the ones that get ‘promoted’, I can usually maintain 3 doomstacks with very powerful units (one led by Napoleon, one lead by Davout, and one lead by the next best leader I can find).

I think the battle system heavily favors the French since being outnumbered isn’t really a disadvantage. It comes down to massing superior units in a zone and moving to crush the opposite zone quickly. The Allies can’t use their advantage in mass since the stacking limits are the same in battles.

And yes, I target opposing cavalry too while trying to preserve my own and for the same reason – pursuit (I didn’t include it on my list since it’s a tactical decision, not the overall strategy but still very important). I have suggested in the past that cavalry kept IN RESERVE should be able to cover pursuit even if a flank breaks. This would reduce casualties when the Allies lose and it provides a good reason to keep cav in reserve.

(in reply to vaalen)
Post #: 3
RE: So where does it go from here? - 7/14/2016 5:20:26 PM   
Uncle_Joe

Well, a full month later and no response and no activity on the forum at all. I guess that can be telling in and of itself?

I guess at this point we are just waiting for the potential DLC?

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 4
RE: So where does it go from here? - 7/23/2016 12:26:15 PM   
kirk23

Any news regarding the planned DLC? Plus what game enhancements are in the pipeline, I would love to be able to mod a few things, especially the Naval combat. One shot ship sunk is a joke, did not know CRUISE MISSILES were in use in the Napoleonic era.

Make it so!

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Victory and Glory: Napoleon >> So where does it go from here? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI