Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Search questions.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Search questions. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Search questions. - 6/3/2016 3:25:15 PM   
vj531

Couple of question (for now)

Fig 1

Im getting 'Black' search arcs why?

Fig 2

Im using Barracuda's to search AND naval attack.
For Attack I want an altitude of 16k+ (dive bomber)
For search I want 5k or less.

Dont think I can do both?

ALSO

With CV groups patrolling the searches are constantly altering. Has anybody got a way of keeping the search arcs fixed even though the CV is constantly changing its heading?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sharper -- 6/3/2016 4:06:17 PM >

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
Post #: 1
RE: Search questions. - 6/3/2016 4:06:56 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 8:28:52 AM >

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 2
RE: Search questions. - 6/3/2016 4:31:55 PM   
BillBrown

Black is both AM and PM

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 3
RE: Search questions. - 6/3/2016 4:40:41 PM   
geofflambert

I had thought there was a color for sectors that were ordered but you didn't have enough aircraft to cover those.

I'm probably wrong and those sectors were not identified even if ordered. I rarely use anything but 360° for naval search.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/3/2016 4:46:02 PM >

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 4
RE: Search questions. - 6/3/2016 5:16:45 PM   
HansBolter

Yea, simply don't use search arcs on CVs and get a full 360 degree coverage.

Hans

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 5
RE: Search questions. - 6/3/2016 5:27:42 PM   
tiemanjw

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharper

Couple of question (for now)

Im getting 'Black' search arcs why?

Black is both AM & PM search phases.

quote:

Im using Barracuda's to search AND naval attack.
For Attack I want an altitude of 16k+ (dive bomber)
For search I want 5k or less.

Dont think I can do both?

no... one altitude. Also, dive bombers only "dive bomb" when set to between 10k-15k. At 16k+, they glide bomb (which is less accurate)

quote:

ALSO

With CV groups patrolling the searches are constantly altering. Has anybody got a way of keeping the search arcs fixed even though the CV is constantly changing its heading?

You can not do a ship heading relative search pattern (at least not with out manually plotting it ever turn).
Most players swear by not setting search arcs for their ships at sea (even when they religiously set their land based search arcs).
Personally, I use both at sea depending on the situation, but as a rule of thumb, I don't set them (at sea) and just use a LOT of search planes. If I don't have a lot of planes to dedicate to search, I try to stay under LBA searches

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 6
RE: Search questions. - 6/3/2016 7:07:26 PM   
vj531

Thanks one and all

................more to follow!

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 7
RE: Search questions. - 6/3/2016 7:42:55 PM   
HansBolter

I swear by not using search arcs on both land and sea.

Chrome that adds little more than micromanagement.

You do all know don't you that even when you set search arcs you still search 360 degrees out to 4 hexes.
There's some kind of hoodoo magic going on that allows the individual planes dedicated each to its own sliver of arc to somehow also search a 360 degree pattern out to 4 hexes.

If you're already searching 360 degrees to 4 hexes with no detriment to the 'illusion' of a concentrated narrow search what makes you think searching 360 degrees to the full distance possible is going to provide any less concentration?

I only ever used search arcs once and was so disgusted with the incumbent micromanagement, having to constantly check and adjust for changing circumstances, that I dropped them like a hot potato.

I don't use them and my search squadrons very, very rarely fail to spot everything within their range.

I'm very rarely surprised.

How many times have you guys who swear by them been surprised by something sneaking in outside of your assigned arcs?

Hans

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 8
RE: Search questions. - 6/3/2016 8:06:20 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
There's some kind of hoodoo magic going on that allows the individual planes dedicated each to its own sliver of arc to somehow also search a 360 degree pattern out to 4 hexes.

Here's an instructional video for you, Hans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzlK0OGpIRs

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 9
RE: Search questions. - 6/3/2016 8:16:11 PM   
geofflambert

Those guys had Peter Frampton shaking in his flip-flops.

Post #: 10
RE: Search questions. - 6/3/2016 9:32:38 PM   
dcpollay

quote:

You do all know don't you that even when you set search arcs you still search 360 degrees out to 4 hexes.

If you're already searching 360 degrees to 4 hexes with no detriment to the 'illusion' of a concentrated narrow search what makes you think searching 360 degrees to the full distance possible is going to provide any less concentration?

I only ever used search arcs once and was so disgusted with the incumbent micromanagement, having to constantly check and adjust for changing circumstances, that I dropped them like a hot potato.

I don't use them and my search squadrons very, very rarely fail to spot everything within their range.

How many times have you guys who swear by them been surprised by something sneaking in outside of your assigned arcs?

Not sure of the accuracy, but this was once explained in a thread as the natural effect of air traffic circulating around the airbase/CV. Planes taking off, landing patterns, etc. As traffic patterns move, they naturally spot things wherever the plane happens to be. Not sure about the 4-hex range, either.

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 11
RE: Search questions. - 6/3/2016 9:33:00 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

'75 was my senior year of HS.

Hans

Post #: 12
RE: Search questions. - 6/3/2016 9:36:31 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colonel Mustard

quote:

Not sure of the accuracy, but this was once explained in a thread as the natural effect of air traffic circulating around the airbase/CV. Planes taking off, landing patterns, etc. As traffic patterns move, they naturally spot things wherever the plane happens to be. Not sure about the 4-hex range, either.

Hmmm, interesting. That would work for a base with heavy traffic and would also imply you would get that benefit even when no squadrons were actively set to nav search.

On the other hand it's completely implausible for a remote island base operating only the nav search squadron.

The main point I'm trying to make is that I don't think there is any real benefit to assigning small slivers of search area to individual planes, especially when the squadron is too small to cover more than a few slivers.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 6/3/2016 9:39:20 PM >

Hans

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 13
RE: Search questions. - 6/3/2016 9:39:45 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

'75 was my senior year of HS.

Mine too. I graduated from Normandy HS which was an excellent school at that time. It's where Michael Brown of the Ferguson controversy graduated and you may have seen a pic of him in a robe and a mortarboard.
Today a diploma from there is not worth the paper it is printed on. Very sad.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 14
RE: Search questions. - 6/3/2016 9:55:11 PM   
geofflambert

This is Ruth Guerri (which of course means Ruth Warrior), she was class of '76. And a Playboy playmate.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Search questions. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI