Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Beginner help

 
View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Beginner help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beginner help - 6/2/2016 10:35:16 AM   
Phoenix100

 

Posts: 2597
Joined: 9/28/2010
Status: offline
I'm finding it a bit hard to find certain information and I wonder if anyone could help. I've been watching the videos, reading the manual etc. I've been playing Coral Sea just to try to get used to it. So far, incredibly, I'm enjoying, despite not having much clue what's going on. This is my second run at it.

Can anyone help with this:
I'm confused about how much is 'automated'. So, take an air group, for an example. When I open the dialogue for a group of Dauntless on the Lexington I get this:






The slots for 'Naval Attack' and 'Airfield Attack' are already selected. Why? This is the very start of the scenario. I've done nothing. Does this mean that the scenario designer has already set a naval attack/airfield attack mission for this group? Or does the computer do that automatically whatever the scenario? If I do nothing to this group now will it now fly naval/airfield attack missions throughout the scenario until scenario end or until I interfere? And, as you see, it's set to 20% of airframes to be used for this. What happens to the other 80% if I do nothing?

A related, more general query could be put like this - if I open a scenario and give no orders at all will the computer still generate missions for ships and planes and troops, as a function of the game, or not at all, or as a function of individual scenario design?

Thanks, in advance.

Peter

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by phoenix -- 6/2/2016 10:44:17 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Beginner help - 6/2/2016 11:19:04 AM   
patrickl


Posts: 1530
Joined: 6/20/2002
From: Singapore
Status: offline
Welcome to the club. If you do not click anything, for this air group 20% will just search and the rest do nothing. so you have to click your commands. Welcome to the clickfest.

_____________________________


Banner designed by rogueusmc

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 2
RE: Beginner help - 6/2/2016 11:44:00 AM   
Phoenix100

 

Posts: 2597
Joined: 9/28/2010
Status: offline
Thanks Patrick. But 20% - without me doing anything at all - will conduct air/airfield attacks (the slots already highlighted at the top right) - or searches (the word next to the 20% figutre)?
And how does that happen? Is it set by the scenario designer or does the computer autogenerate this kind of starting mission for all scenarios? And, however it's set, will it continue throughout the scenario, or just this turn?

(in reply to patrickl)
Post #: 3
RE: Beginner help - 6/2/2016 11:52:35 AM   
btd64


Posts: 7177
Joined: 1/23/2010
From: Mass. USA. now in OHIO
Status: offline
What you have is a Carrier Trained dive bomber squadron with 20% of the aircraft searching, Looking for targets, and the other 80% is set for Naval strikes with a backup target selection for an airfield attack. This screen will give you all kinds of data for this squadron. I suggest that you click on everything on the screen to see what you can do with the squadron. Do the same for other windows, and take notes of different things.

In regards to your second question, Only a few orders are given by the scenario designer in the beginning. You have to setup the rest and/or adjust the current orders to your needs. But if you set the game to AI vs AI, the computer will give its own orders.

Welcome to the best investment, dollar per hour, that you can find in a game....GP

< Message edited by General Patton -- 6/2/2016 11:58:48 AM >


_____________________________

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 4
RE: Beginner help - 6/2/2016 11:57:17 AM   
Iron Duke


Posts: 529
Joined: 1/7/2002
From: UK
Status: offline

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

The slots for 'Naval Attack' and 'Airfield Attack' are already selected. Why?

set in the game editor by the scenario designer
quote:


Or does the computer do that automatically whatever the scenario?

the 'Game' will only assign missions as the computer player , if you are playing the AI or another human you must order all missions
quote:


If I do nothing to this group now will it now fly naval/airfield attack missions throughout the scenario until scenario end or until I interfere?

yes or if all airframes are destroyed/lost
quote:


it's set to 20% of airframes to be used for this. What happens to the other 80% if I do nothing?

20% of the squadron is set to search the remaining 80% will conduct naval attack or airfield attack
quote:


A related, more general query could be put like this - if I open a scenario and give no orders at all will the computer still generate missions for ships and planes and troops, as a function of the game, or not at all, or as a function of individual scenario design?

no , generally if playing either side you are required to issue orders -create missions ,however, the scenario designer may have set up some initial TF's and missions


_____________________________

"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 5
RE: Beginner help - 6/2/2016 12:04:50 PM   
HansBolter


Posts: 7339
Joined: 7/6/2006
From: St. Petersburg, Florida, USA
Status: offline
Iron Duke is incorrect about having to 'order' all missions.

You can never set Naval attack targets. The tactical AI chooses Naval Attack targets.
The player can only assign the mission.

All other mission types that need a target can either have that target set by the player or the player can leave it with no target selection and the tactical AI will select a target.

It is not a good idea to allow the AI to choose land targets as it will often send your bombers into heavy CAP.

The secondary mission is only flown in the afternoon.

With a primary Nav and a secondary Airfield setting the squadron will only fly the Nav mission in the morning if there is an appropriate target.

In the afternoon it will again choose Nav over Airfield if there is a Nav target, if no Nav target then it will fly the secondary Airfield mission.

The at start settings are simply defaults chosen by the designer in case the player overlooks the need to assign missions ans his carriers go into hazardous conditions without the air squadrons set to do anything.

_____________________________

Hans


(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 6
RE: Beginner help - 6/2/2016 12:11:06 PM   
Phoenix100

 

Posts: 2597
Joined: 9/28/2010
Status: offline
Brilliant. That explains it all. Many thanks. Very helpful. Thanks Hansbolter, Iron Duke and Gen Patton.

Peter

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: Beginner help - 6/2/2016 12:26:24 PM   
Iron Duke


Posts: 529
Joined: 1/7/2002
From: UK
Status: offline
Hi HB

you say assign , I say order

cheers

_____________________________

"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 8
RE: Beginner help - 6/2/2016 3:15:27 PM   
BBfanboy


Posts: 14996
Joined: 8/4/2010
From: Winnipeg, MB
Status: online
In the Coral Sea scenario there is an historical basis for the Naval Attack/Airfield Attack selection. That battle essentially started when the US CVs made an attack on the Japanese seaplane base at Tulagi, to eliminate some of the IJN search ability before their CVs and transports arrived. Since they did not know exactly when the IJN fleet would be in the Coral Sea the prudent thing to do was to set Naval Strike as a priority but hit the seaplane base at Tulagi if there were no enemy ships around. (Yes, to hit seaplanes on the water you need to select Airfield Strike).

The US CV strike succeeded in destroying all the IJN seaplanes there and heavily damaging their facilities at Tulagi, but the real interesting part is that the pilots noticed for the first time that an airfield was being constructed a few miles away - at Guadalcanal. This intel started the gears rolling on the Guadalcanal campaign.

_____________________________

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 9
RE: Beginner help - 6/2/2016 3:21:05 PM   
Phoenix100

 

Posts: 2597
Joined: 9/28/2010
Status: offline
Thanks BB.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Beginner help - 6/2/2016 5:01:12 PM   
Bullwinkle58


Posts: 11302
Joined: 2/24/2009
Status: offline
quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Brilliant. That explains it all. Many thanks. Very helpful. Thanks Hansbolter, Iron Duke and Gen Patton.

Peter


To embellish just a bit on Hans' excellent summary. Re-look at your screenshot. Right side, middle. "Commander Discretion" is always the order UNLESS you hand-assign a different target. Commander Discretion couples with the range and mission type. So, if you set Airfield Attack as the primary, and Rest as the secondary, and the range at 6 hexes, the Commander (AI) will consider attacking any and all airfields within 6 hexes of the unit's position. This can be a labor-saving move, or it can lead to utter disaster. Your call.

Pay attention to your ranges. In almost all cases, assign a target yourself. This interface screen is very, very dense. It will be a long time before you can glance at it and be confident you know what might happen. For although you assign an airfield target, and it's within 6 hexes, the mission may still not fly. Only then will you begin to appreciate the subtlety of this complex, infuriating, wonderful game.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 6/2/2016 5:03:53 PM >


_____________________________

The Moose

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 11
RE: Beginner help - 6/2/2016 5:56:40 PM   
KenchiSulla


Posts: 2847
Joined: 10/22/2008
From: the Netherlands
Status: offline
A word of encouragement, at some point (for me after around 5 years of playing) working the interface of this game becomes second nature....

If it is your cup of tea you will still be here 5 years from now

< Message edited by KenchiSulla -- 6/2/2016 5:59:28 PM >


_____________________________

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 12
RE: Beginner help - 6/2/2016 8:57:51 PM   
Phoenix100

 

Posts: 2597
Joined: 9/28/2010
Status: offline
Lol. 5 years. Great comments, guys. And all very helpful. Thanks.

I certainly agree the interface screen is very dense!

The game has taken me to the history, so far, and set me reading historical accounts of Coral Sea and other battles, things I knew nothing about before. That's a great thing. And it at least seems a great thing when what happens is your forces do exactly what happened historically (sinking a light Japanese carrier on day 1, in the case of the Coral Sea scenario, for example), which has happened a lot so far.

Can anyone recommend any shorter community made scenarios to move onto after Coral Sea? Does a midway scenario exist, for example?

Peter

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 13
RE: Beginner help - 6/2/2016 9:00:26 PM   
Bullwinkle58


Posts: 11302
Joined: 2/24/2009
Status: offline

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Lol. 5 years. Great comments, guys. And all very helpful. Thanks.

I certainly agree the interface screen is very dense!

The game has taken me to the history, so far, and set me reading historical accounts of Coral Sea and other battles, things I knew nothing about before. That's a great thing. And it at least seems a great thing when what happens is your forces do exactly what happened historically (sinking a light Japanese carrier on day 1, in the case of the Coral Sea scenario, for example), which has happened a lot so far.

Can anyone recommend any shorter community made scenarios to move onto after Coral Sea? Does a midway scenario exist, for example?

Peter


Do the stock 1000 Mile War. It introduces game concepts Coral Sea does not, concepts you will need in a grand campaign.

_____________________________

The Moose

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Beginner help Page: [1]
Jump to:





New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts


Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI

0.152