Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Prokhorovka on GE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Prokhorovka on GE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Prokhorovka on GE - 5/19/2016 5:15:52 AM   
Mobius

Wow, they improved the Google Earth maps of Prokhorovka since I made my kursk maps a few years ago. In fact you can get a street view or the road from Prokhorovka to Komsomolets State Farm along the railroad embankment.

< Message edited by Mobius -- 5/19/2016 5:18:16 AM >

All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
Post #: 1
RE: Prokhorovka on GE - 5/19/2016 2:26:39 PM   
Mobius

Here is a street level view looking at the direction the Soviet tanks would approach Oktiabr'skii State Farm as the Germans began their move toward Prokhorovka, a few kilometers away.

51°01'15"N 36°40'28"E Prokhorovka battlefield.
Check both sides the RR tracks down to 50°58' 36°34'. It is where Leibstandarte fought from 7/9/1943 to 7/12/1943.

Nice that Google Earth ran their truck along the dirt roads of the actual battlefield.
I don't know if that tree line in the distance was there in 1943 but it is only about 750m from Oktiabr'skii State Farm. One thing I'm noticing is the land is flatter than I thought it would be and the railroad embankment doesn't seem the obstacle that is portrayed in all the narratives.

This image was taken 8/2013 and doesn't show much wheat growing. But take a tour on the other side of the railroad toward Jamki and the former stalinsk farm and there is wheat fields with tall wheat. That would be more like it in July 1943.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mobius -- 5/20/2016 1:27:48 PM >

All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 2
RE: Prokhorovka on GE - 7/20/2016 5:59:37 PM   
Elron Hubbub

I am reading 'Armor and Blood'-Showalter. The book really needs better maps and also Kursk photos that capture the terrain better. He also needs to be schooled on simple facts such as T34 used diesel, and that full 'gas tanks' don't explode like in the movies.

< Message edited by Elron Hubbub -- 7/20/2016 6:03:33 PM >

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Prokhorovka on GE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI