Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combat reports getting turned off mid-game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Combat reports getting turned off mid-game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/4/2016 5:10:44 PM   
Lokasenna

Waiting on a response from Bullwinkle, but I know he's "AFK" all day today. In our game, I just loaded up our next turn. I haven't touched the preferences screen since we started the game, and I can't imagine why he would have turned off combat reports - which shouldn't have affected whether or not I see them, right? - so I have no idea what happened here.

When I load the turn and it begins running the replay, there are combat animations and my message delay settings are what they've always been, but there is no combat report. Anybody else had that happen? I've tried loading the turn twice - setting to Play By Email in the selector (even though that's not necessary), checking the prefs in the game before clicking to load the turn, etc. Combat reports are turned on there also (but again, it should be looking at the prefs from the save file...).

I know I can see the text file after the fact, but having it during the turn is important to me. Even more confusing, when I check the preferences in the game after the replay, combat report is set to on.
Post #: 1
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/4/2016 5:27:39 PM   
Lowpe

I turned off the combat report using a hot key as Japan, and that carried over to Jocke even though the preferences said combat reports on.

I told Jocke the hotkey, and we got it straightened out in a turn or two.

I can't remember the hotkey!

It is handy for late game Japan when you are tired of watching that 1,000 th bombing raid.

I think it is a recent patch fix, and years back you coudn't turn it off I seem to recall.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/4/2016 5:29:49 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/4/2016 5:29:57 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I turned off the combat report using a hot key as Japan, and that carried over to Jocke even though the preferences said combat reports on.

I told Jocke the hotkey, and we got it straightened out in a turn or two.

I can't remember the hotkey!

It is handy for late game Japan when you are tired of watching that 1,000 th bombing raid.

I think it is a recent patch fix, and years back you coudn't turn it off I seem to recall.

We're playing with the latest. I'll have to search for the hotkey, but... I didn't press anything. I loaded the turn and switched windows momentarily, like I always do, to set something in Tracker or Word - mouse only, no keys.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/4/2016 7:18:34 PM   
Lowpe

F8

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 4
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/4/2016 7:45:38 PM   
tiemanjw

Same happened to me a few times... I didn't know about the hot key. Maybe I accidentally pressed it during the turn.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 5
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/4/2016 7:52:11 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiemanj

Same happened to me a few times... I didn't know about the hot key. Maybe I accidentally pressed it during the turn.

Oops, might have been me.

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 6
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/4/2016 8:33:39 PM   
tiemanjw

quote:

quote:

Meh, no big deal. But I'm happy their is a hot key to turn it back on. I need those pauses the combat report provides. Dang kids always need something as soon as the shooting starts.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/4/2016 9:49:43 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

Meh, no big deal. But I'm happy their is a hot key to turn it back on. I need those pauses the combat report provides. Dang kids always need something as soon as the shooting starts.

That's really what I use them for also - without that pause, it's hard to take notes during the turn. I'll give F8 a shot, thanks guys.

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 8
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/5/2016 4:02:00 AM   
Lowpe

Control P will pause the replay.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/5/2016 4:45:27 AM   
Lokasenna

That's nice to know also, but the combat report breaks work fine. Pushing F8 fixed it. I know I did not push it, and I don't think Bullwinkle did either. Strange happenin's.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 10
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/5/2016 5:57:56 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

That's nice to know also, but the combat report breaks work fine. Pushing F8 fixed it. I know I did not push it, and I don't think Bullwinkle did either. Strange happenin's.

Do either of you have a cat?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 11
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/5/2016 12:19:42 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Do either of you have a cat?

Dead.

The Moose

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/5/2016 3:38:16 PM   
Lowpe

Cat = OFA: offboard feline artillery.

Can't tell you how many cardboard wargames between my sons suffered from OFA! In the early years it saved the kids, in the latter years it saved my games from ending in humiliation.

I got to where I might have left some cat treats accidentally on the board at break times.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/5/2016 3:40:08 PM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 13
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/5/2016 5:02:15 PM   
Lokasenna

But again, what's really weird about it is that as soon as the replay was over I looked in the preferences screen. The preferences said "On" for the combat summaries.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 14
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/5/2016 5:25:43 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

But again, what's really weird about it is that as soon as the replay was over I looked in the preferences screen. The preferences said "On" for the combat summaries.

That was the how the game was initially setup, using the hotkey doesn't seem to change that setting.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 15
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/5/2016 7:55:06 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

That was the how the game was initially setup, using the hotkey doesn't seem to change that setting.

Right. But I know I've changed things in the preferences (the ones that aren't greyed out) in the middle of the game and the changes have stuck, so I know that the game does look at these toggles each turn. It just doesn't seem to mean anything for the combat summaries.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 16
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/5/2016 8:23:05 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

Right. But I know I've changed things in the preferences (the ones that aren't greyed out) in the middle of the game and the changes have stuck, so I know that the game does look at these toggles each turn. It just doesn't seem to mean anything for the combat summaries.

It's Japanese intel efforts finally doing something productive...

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 17
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/6/2016 4:05:53 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

Waiting on a response from Bullwinkle, but I know he's "AFK" all day today. In our game, I just loaded up our next turn. I haven't touched the preferences screen since we started the game, and I can't imagine why he would have turned off combat reports - which shouldn't have affected whether or not I see them, right? - so I have no idea what happened here.

When I load the turn and it begins running the replay, there are combat animations and my message delay settings are what they've always been, but there is no combat report. Anybody else had that happen? I've tried loading the turn twice - setting to Play By Email in the selector (even though that's not necessary), checking the prefs in the game before clicking to load the turn, etc. Combat reports are turned on there also (but again, it should be looking at the prefs from the save file...).

I know I can see the text file after the fact, but having it during the turn is important to me. Even more confusing, when I check the preferences in the game after the replay, combat report is set to on.

Am I reading you correctly that Bullwinkle58 is your opponent? I thought he religiously only fought the AI. That would be a major development.

Uh-oh. What if Lokasenna is the AI? Have you ever dated Siri? What lines did you use?

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 5/6/2016 4:09:24 AM >

Currently fighting for the Emperor against AW1Steve. As of 9/20 it is 2/45.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 18
RE: Combat reports getting turned off mid-game - 5/6/2016 7:00:26 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

Am I reading you correctly that Bullwinkle58 is your opponent? I thought he religiously only fought the AI. That would be a major development.

Uh-oh. What if Lokasenna is the AI? Have you ever dated Siri? What lines did you use?

Just some things my users showed me this one time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydAEkc8piKo

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Combat reports getting turned off mid-game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI