Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

about 3 units stacking max

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> about 3 units stacking max Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
about 3 units stacking max - 4/13/2016 11:31:31 PM   
quertice

3 units stacking max it's really unrealistic and stressing when breaking down divisions in a defensive line with fortified zone units, players need to move units around as in a puzzle game just because 3 regiments cannot stay in the same hex with a very little fortified zone unit.

I'm playing as axis player with italian scenarios, so I'm feeling really stressing issues for 3 units stacking max, I hope this rule will be changed towards more realistic way (like men number criterion, and not just units number) with next games like WITE 2.

anyway, I really like this game, my compliments to developers.

< Message edited by qwetry -- 4/13/2016 11:34:13 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: about 3 units stacking max - 4/14/2016 2:32:45 AM   
bairdlander2

Was thinking the same thing.I recall the "superstacks" of 20 divisions or more in HOI2,that also seemed unrealistic.Perhaps they could look at this for WitE2???Maybe have a maximum capacity per hex like port capacity?I think it is a good idea,though I don't like the idea of turning on hex capacity and seeing every hex with a different number and having to look at each unit and calculating if said unit is too large to move into a hex.

(in reply to quertice)
Post #: 2
RE: about 3 units stacking max - 4/14/2016 6:27:07 AM   
Joel Billings

We limit at 3 units for obvious gameplay/interface/code issues. Increasing the stacking limit would require major rework, including AI rework. Anything is possible, but I have to say it's unlikely. On the other hand, we now have all regiment size units allowed to attach a support unit, and we have allowed Soviet divisions to attach a support unit (and tank brigades are support units), so you can effectively stuff more into a hex now.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 3
RE: about 3 units stacking max - 4/14/2016 6:49:30 AM   
LiquidSky

3 regiments in a hex is a division. 3 divisions in a hex would be 9 regiments. 12 if you attach the three steps of a broken down regiment to each division.

You can further your stacking by putting units on reserve behind the front. I've seen 5 divisions join an attack....2-3 divisions join a defence.

And as well..you can have multiple support battalions join from the assisting HQ.

Also....the fortification unit has finished it's purpose when the enemy comes adjacent. Disband it. It just takes up space. You can fortify up to level 3 without it now. Otherwise it (and any units you assigned it for support) will just surrender when the enemy kicks you out of the hex. The unit itself only holds like 27 squads and a handful of guns...so it is not really a lot of CV.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 4
RE: about 3 units stacking max - 4/14/2016 8:31:52 AM   
zakblood

in real life that many or more wouldn't be in one place for that long or at all as it would be rather crowded and a great target for air and arty to paint and attack

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 5
RE: about 3 units stacking max - 4/14/2016 4:55:01 PM   
Joel Billings

The one place where we have struggled with the stacking limit is in ports and or major cities. These areas did at times contain more than the stacking limit. We decided to live with the issue given just how hard it would be to change the game (this is where boardgames have an advantage as they can make a fairly complex stacking rule much easier than we can, although if you've ever played a boardgame with lots of counters and big stacks, you know it has its drawbacks as well ). We did make it much more likely for reserve units to participate in urban fighting, which helped the major city issue, but we appreciate the frustration of not being able to stuff units into a port hex like was done at Sevastopol.

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 4/14/2016 4:57:18 PM >

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 6
RE: about 3 units stacking max - 4/20/2016 12:16:28 PM   
amatteucci

Speaking about the stacking limit in major urban areas: did you ever consider the possibility of letting units other than AA or airbases be attached to cities?

Post #: 7
RE: about 3 units stacking max - 4/20/2016 1:19:25 PM   
LiquidSky

The problem with having units attached to cities is that they surrender when the city falls....I prefer my units to be pushed out then to give up.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to amatteucci)
Post #: 8
RE: about 3 units stacking max - 4/20/2016 5:46:28 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: amatteucci

Speaking about the stacking limit in major urban areas: did you ever consider the possibility of letting units other than AA or airbases be attached to cities?

Yes and no. It would require a major change in how units attached to cities are handled, and these units wouldn't be visible on the map to the players. For these reasons we didn't pursue it.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to amatteucci)
Post #: 9
RE: about 3 units stacking max - 4/20/2016 8:25:55 PM   
amatteucci

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky
The problem with having units attached to cities is that they surrender when the city falls....I prefer my units to be pushed out then to give up.

You're right, but to allow someone to retire in good order sometimes someone else has to be sacrificed!
I think it could work reasonably well to simulate the siege of Sevastopol and some other "hold at all costs" defences.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings
Yes and no. It would require a major change in how units attached to cities are handled, and these units wouldn't be visible on the map to the players. For these reasons we didn't pursue it.

IMHO, the fact that some units could not be visible to the (enemy) player is not a problem, per se.
Reconnaissance in dense urban areas is not easy, moreover taking a defended city with a rapid coup de main wasn't always a viable option. There are also a few operational (board)games that have rules to add some additional unpredicableness to the time that securing an urban area will require.

Anyway, I understand your reasons for not pursuing this solution further.

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> about 3 units stacking max Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI