Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

When in a turn is a unit considered surrounded?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> When in a turn is a unit considered surrounded? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When in a turn is a unit considered surrounded? - 4/8/2016 4:22:05 PM   
Hoggorm

Hi,

I'm a noob trying to learn War in the East and was wondering when a unit is considered surrounded?

Until now I've only considerer enemy units counters with red border to be so, but I was wondering if it actually happens earlier?

The reason for asking is that I feel my infantry is moving very, very slow ahead as Germans.

During first turn I punch a hole in the soviet lines and drive my tanks through and surround the soviet troops. Using my understanding of surrounding, my infantry can't move at all this first turn since they have to "stand guard" and keep the lines. They cannot attack (as the soviets are not considered surrounded even though my panzer divisions have made a pinching maneuver behind them) since they will not get the bonus for attacking isolated units.

During round two my infantry can attack, but hardly anything more witch means that they can only advance during turn three (If I was able to destroy all enemy units in round two).

Am I doing this correctly or can I attack with my infantry already in round one when my panzers are behind the soviets?
Post #: 1
RE: When in a turn is a unit considered surrounded? - 4/8/2016 4:59:40 PM   
Hermann

infantry movement is based on morale and hex control. you advance farther, faster into hexes made friendly by your tanks so their mission is to create lanes of advance and keep them clear. Surrounding units can be done easily by breaking your pocketing units into regiments - that triples your strength around the pocket. and moving the rest forward Remember the Russians have extremely poor morale the first few turns they simply cannot move into an enemy zoc and attack so a friendly hex with no unit is an effective barrier on its own. play a scenario as Russian and experiment with movement and combat then youll understand how much flexibility the germans have in the first turns of the game.

(in reply to Hoggorm)
Post #: 2
RE: When in a turn is a unit considered surrounded? - 4/8/2016 5:04:35 PM   
Hermann

Also don't be in such a hurry to attack pocketed units. They become pocketed and Isolated at the start of the enemies turn. theres ways to fix the problem. by waiting a few turns they get weaker each turn unless resupplied by air, outwaiting them is an option. Also theyre really easy to weaken by air so that's a great way to build up morale and experience in your air units - free kills on pocketed troops hurries the process. One core thing to remember is to keep them split apart- pocketed units retreat into friendly hexes usually not in an enemy zoc. don't let enemy units maintain a perimenter with room to retreat - force your way through into the center of pocketed areas.

(in reply to Hermann)
Post #: 3
RE: When in a turn is a unit considered surrounded? - 4/9/2016 4:40:57 PM   
Hoggorm

Thank you very much Hermann!

So what you say is that I can still have most of my german infantry move forward and behind the soviets?

When refering to air raids on the pocketed enemy units - is this attack unit mode you mean then?

(in reply to Hermann)
Post #: 4
RE: When in a turn is a unit considered surrounded? - 4/9/2016 4:57:05 PM   
Hermann

yes sir =) and thank you back go kill Ivans !

(in reply to Hoggorm)
Post #: 5
RE: When in a turn is a unit considered surrounded? - 4/9/2016 7:09:05 PM   
Hoggorm

I will :D

(in reply to Hermann)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> When in a turn is a unit considered surrounded? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI