Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

clarification(s) please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> clarification(s) please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
clarification(s) please - 4/3/2016 8:18:48 PM   
bush

I know there have been numerous threads on search arcs and/or not even using specific ones at all. If I opt for NOT setting specific arcs I want to make sure I am doing it correctly. So... I set mission for Nav. Search, Altitude 6,000 ft., Search % at 50, Range of 4. Now the part I am most unsure of. Default has starting AND ending arc numbers of 000. Is this what I leave it on to get the 4 hex coverage, or do I need to reset the ending arc to 350?

Next, I am really in the dark on how to buy back destroyed LCUs. Some are printed in white and are marked "Can't recall." I assume that is pretty straight forward - there is no way to get those back. Others are in yellow and have a point total listed. Again I think those are obvious - I can buy them back for the points listed. However, there are others listed in yellow with "Not Defined" listed. Are they available for buy back? I seem to recall trying this before and they did come back (from the pixel Pet Cemetery no doubt)but without stating the cost amount and there was no chance to cancel, they just were called back.

Any and all help welcome.
Post #: 1
RE: clarification(s) please - 4/3/2016 11:24:42 PM   
Dili

Don't you see the search arc?

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 2
RE: clarification(s) please - 4/4/2016 4:46:47 AM   
BBfanboy

1. If you are letting the AI run the search arcs, don't do anything with the search arc buttons - leave them the way they were when you started setting up the search mission. If you have been playing with them, just hit "Stand Down" and reset the search mission but not the arcs. I use this and frankly it seems more effective than when I was setting arcs myself.

2. I had the same reaction - WTH do I do now! Then I accidentally discovered the secret. Two steps:

- First, left click on an eligible unit and it will bring up a screen showing the devices the unit will have when it comes back, and the PP cost. You do not have to do anything on this screen, just exit back to the "Destroyed LCU" list. The unit you were looking at will now be listed with a PP cost at the end.

- Second, RIGHT click on the unit to get the screen asking if you want to spend the PP to buy it back. It will also tell you where and how long before it comes back. Click yes to proceed. The unit will be added to your reinforcement queue.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 3
RE: clarification(s) please - 4/4/2016 5:20:45 AM   
bush

BBfanboy - thank you!

Dili - When using the computer preset and then push "Z" - NO I do not see any arcs. That's why I thought I might have to reset the ending number to 350.

If I do set a certain search arc and let's say I use 8 for a range, will I still receive the 4 hex 360 coverage?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: clarification(s) please - 4/4/2016 3:47:59 PM   
crsutton

Some players swear by manually setting search arcs where others swear that leaving search arcs on default 360 does not hamper searching at all. I have tried both and can't really see a difference. I set defined search arcs for long range searchers but just leave the short range aircraft alone. I never set search arcs for ship borne aircraft. Seems to work.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 5
RE: clarification(s) please - 4/4/2016 5:32:45 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bushpsu

BBfanboy - thank you!

Dili - When using the computer preset and then push "Z" - NO I do not see any arcs. That's why I thought I might have to reset the ending number to 350.

If I do set a certain search arc and let's say I use 8 for a range, will I still receive the 4 hex 360 coverage?

Search coverage depends on the number of aircraft available to cover the selected area. Increase the range, the coverage is diluted by the increase in the area of the arc being searched. If you let the AI do the searching and only set the range, it does not seem to try to do a full circle search, but concentrates on the most likely line of approach from the enemy's bases.

Either way, no search is foolproof - weather, enemy CAP and human factors can cause searches to miss things.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 6
RE: clarification(s) please - 4/4/2016 5:33:39 PM   
bush

Thank you crsutton!

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 7
RE: clarification(s) please - 4/4/2016 9:44:23 PM   
geofflambert

I very rarely set search arcs and usually only then for ASW. Alfred or someone else can remind us but I don't thing Naval Search sends planes over major land masses. ASW may be the same, but sometimes you know about a choke point or a likely lurking area and want to concentrate on it, you may get rather good results. An example might be the strait between Hokkaido and Honshu, cover that little area to the south and east with arcs and also shorten the range of the search.

Currently fighting for the Emperor against AW1Steve. As of 9/20 it is 2/45.

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 8
RE: clarification(s) please - 4/5/2016 3:03:19 PM   
bush

But if I set Nav Search to say a 6 hex range in an area I really want coverage example 90-110, with 50% of the planes up. Will I still get 360 coverage out to 4 hexes?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 9
RE: clarification(s) please - 4/9/2016 12:18:44 AM   
rustysi

quote:

When using the computer preset and then push "Z" - NO I do not see any arcs. That's why I thought I might have to reset the ending number to 350.

Units that don't have a search arc set will not display an arc using the 'Z' hotkey, they don't have an arc, its 360.

quote:

Will I still get 360 coverage out to 4 hexes?

Any unit set to search will search 360 out to 4 hexes.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 10
RE: clarification(s) please - 4/9/2016 8:50:50 PM   
bush

Thanks again!

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> clarification(s) please Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI