Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Merchant ship - cargo capacity

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Merchant ship - cargo capacity Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Merchant ship - cargo capacity - 3/11/2016 5:33:02 AM   
Yaab

DaBigBabes-C scenario reduced cargo capacities on xAK ships for a more historical play.

A WWII brochure on Liberty class ships said a Liberty ship could transport 250 medium tanks. Let's say Sherman M4 (device 1180) is our medium tank.

In DaBigBabes,Liberty class ship has the capacity of 4167 points. Sherman M4 tank has the load cost of 16 points. Thus, 260 Shermans will fit on one Liberty ship. That is very close to the historical figures.

In stock, Liberty class ship has the capacity of 6250 points. That would translate into 390 Shermans loaded onto one Liberty ship. Well, I thought, DaBabes team is right, and stock scenarios are too generous with their cargo capacities.

But then,I went to check the load cost of Sherman M4 in stock, and it seems to load cost is not 16, but 23! This means 270 such Shermans fit into such stock Liberty ship.

I checked other devices and it seem all non-squad devices have greater load cost ins stock scenarios. Squad devices have the same load cost.

Thus, it seems, in DaBigBabes C, reduced cargo capacity means:

- non-squad device shipment volume identical to stock scenario
- squad device shipment volume lower than stock
- supply shipment volume lower than stock

So if you are moving a tank battalion consisting of tanks and mot support by ship, there is really no difference between the two scenarios.
Post #: 1
RE: Merchant ship - cargo capacity - 3/11/2016 12:23:43 PM   
obvert

Very interesting. So it's supply transport that is really reduced, not ability to transport units.

I think the lowered cost of moving devices also causes some large devices to suddenly by air liftable which obviously would not have been able to be carried by transport planes during the war. Things like light AFVs, maybe motorized support, maybe some artillery pieces.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 2
RE: Merchant ship - cargo capacity - 3/11/2016 12:40:27 PM   
Yaab

Assuming you do not cross-load troops into cargo space on xAKs, then yes, it seems what really got reduced is supply transport. This may be interesting for players who use xAKs to haul fuel as cargo - their fuel build-up suffers in the Pacific. It may affect Japs more since now they expend more fuel per ship moving less cargo.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3
RE: Merchant ship - cargo capacity - 3/11/2016 9:17:08 PM   
Dili

These are the analysis that i like being done.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Merchant ship - cargo capacity Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI