Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Queen Elizabeth

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Queen Elizabeth Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Queen Elizabeth - 3/10/2016 5:39:35 PM   
Revthought

How many large Ocean Liners feature in the database?

I just noticed Queen Elizabeth for the first time in an Allied PBEM--how I didn't before is astounding--and as an Ocean Liner grognard my first thought was... "she must go to the East Coast and never leave, where I can occasionally click on her and gaze."
Post #: 1
RE: Queen Elizabeth - 3/10/2016 5:49:16 PM   
Ambassador

Queen Mary's there too, but they need to be withdrawn early.

You might also glimpse SS America (under the name of USS West Point), SS Manhattan (USS Wakefield), SS Washington (USS Mount Vernon), and a few others.

(in reply to Revthought)
Post #: 2
RE: Queen Elizabeth - 3/10/2016 6:25:23 PM   
Revthought

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

You might also glimpse SS America (under the name of USS West Point), SS Manhattan (USS Wakefield), SS Washington (USS Mount Vernon), and a few others.

That's pretty awesome. I need to pay more attention. You know that's one thing I always hated about sub sims--they never modeled actual ships. :D Someone with a lot of time on their hands ought to convert a number of the minor liners I see into their actual ship types and class rather than lumping them together.

It's a shame those these ships withdraw. Not that I would ever put them in danger, but a 9k troop capacity xAP with a cruise speed of 28 knots would really come in very handy for the Allies if they had unlimited use of it. :)

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 3
RE: Queen Elizabeth - 3/10/2016 6:49:40 PM   
Admiral DadMan

LOL man, those 2 have high cruise speeds. Excellent way to move a whole division FAST.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Revthought)
Post #: 4
RE: Queen Elizabeth - 3/10/2016 7:32:31 PM   
Canoerebel

If you plan it right, I think you can get QE to and from West Coast and Oz three times. She carries alot of troops fast.

Beware, though, as there are drawbacks. First, she needs a mighty port to unload. The first time I ever used her, she arrived at Noumea. And she sat there for a day or two without unloading before I realized she was too big for those britches.

The second problem is that she usually sails unloan. Since she's fast, subs have a hard time hitting her. But I did have her take a torp once near San Diego. She was still fast.

The third problem is that it's a huge morale hit to lose her. One of our best known players (I think it was Cribtop, but it might have been Q-Ball) lost QE near Tahiti. He quit that game and AE altogether. He was already a bit demoralized or burned out at the time, but I thought the loss of QE put him way over the edge.

QE is a beauty, but beware her beauty as she is a bit vane.

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 5
RE: Queen Elizabeth - 3/10/2016 7:45:04 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Level 7 or higher ports only.

Best way to move troops to Sydney or Colombo

EDIT: in my experience, they can take a torpedo without a problem, but fire kills it quickly

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 3/10/2016 7:51:57 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6
RE: Queen Elizabeth - 3/10/2016 7:46:31 PM   
Revthought

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

If you plan it right, I think you can get QE to and from West Coast and Oz three times. She carries alot of troops fast.

Beware, though, as there are drawbacks. First, she needs a mighty port to unload. The first time I ever used her, she arrived at Noumea. And she sat there for a day or two without unloading before I realized she was too big for those britches.

The second problem is that she usually sails unloan. Since she's fast, subs have a hard time hitting her. But I did have her take a torp once near San Diego. She was still fast.

The third problem is that it's a huge morale hit to lose her. One of our best known players (I think it was Cribtop, but it might have been Q-Ball) lost QE near Tahiti. He quit that game and AE altogether. He was already a bit demoralized or burned out at the time, but I thought the loss of QE put him way over the edge.

QE is a beauty, but beware her beauty as she is a bit vane.

Thus my immediate instinct to get her to the East Coast. Nothing bad can happen to the Cunarders! We will surrender before losing her... wait.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7
RE: Queen Elizabeth - 3/10/2016 7:59:18 PM   
Canoerebel

Use her, by all means! She has good uses, though often it takes experience before you can well measure value against risk. One of the best ways to learn in this game is to try and fail. We've all done it. Not meaning to fail all the time, of course. When you're clever and think things through, many of your ideas will work even if you're a newbie. And if you're clever and thing things through, some of you ideas will fail spectacularly even when you're a veteran.

(in reply to Revthought)
Post #: 8
RE: Queen Elizabeth - 3/10/2016 7:59:39 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Revthought

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

That's pretty awesome. I need to pay more attention. You know that's one thing I always hated about sub sims--they never modeled actual ships. :D Someone with a lot of time on their hands ought to convert a number of the minor liners I see into their actual ship types and class rather than lumping them together.

It's a shame those these ships withdraw. Not that I would ever put them in danger, but a 9k troop capacity xAP with a cruise speed of 28 knots would really come in very handy for the Allies if they had unlimited use of it. :)

Many of the other Allied xAP are minor passenger liners for short hauls in So Pac and DEI. Cool older ships and odd cast-offs. Lots of great stuff in the database if you dig in, and even more in DBB, which of course is named after the "Babes" added to the database on top of stock, many of the smaller particularly individual ships and smaller craft.

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/10/2016 8:01:04 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Revthought)
Post #: 9
RE: Queen Elizabeth - 3/10/2016 9:03:32 PM   
crsutton

You do get a number of lesser liners that have excellent speeds. I use them to get valuable troops from the West Coast. They are also very useful if transiting from US to Capetown. You can run them on full speed without fuel or system penalties. The will cut the travel time in half. I generally move a lot of unit to the Indian theater and these ships are the answer. If you are running troops from Perth to India, they can be used there.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Queen Elizabeth Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI